Jellyfish in Bermuda

Barb Nahoumi

I have a question about Bermuda's beaches in July.

Has anyone ever encountered a jellyfish problem on any beaches, or when snorkeling, in mid summer?

Just curious. I grew up in a New England coastal community, where beaches have been closed during Jellyfish infestations.

Barb

Bermuda does have Portuguese Man-o-Wars and you will see signs on some beaches warning about them. During spring and summer a storm can push a number of them to the shore or up on the beach. Just be aware of what they look like, they are not numerous enough that you should concerned about snorkelling unless you see a lot of them washed up on the beach. They are the only jellyfish in Bermuda that I know of that have a nasty sting. Another local jellyfish, the Moon Jellyfish, is pretty harmless.

Thanks, Swizzle. I am aware of the appearance of Portuguese Men of War, having seen them washed up on Nantucket Beaches. Their cylindrical shape with "sail," make them distinguishable. I have been stung many times by Lion's Mane Jellies, at my home-town beach. OWWW!

Jellies are fascinating to watch & study, not tangle with.

Archived