Considering another line for 2014 cruise- eek!

Warmer Climes

I have started looking at the February 2014 cruises (we have to travel during our daughter's school break week) and the NCL offerings leave me cold. We don't like Epic much, don't want to do Western Caribbean again, can't take enough time to do the Sun Southern Caribbean. Our choice turns out to be Getaway, and I can't see the price for the bottom category suite.

We love NCL but I am thinking of taking the Jewel OTS out of San Juan. We are platinum on NCL, started cruising with RCI but switched allegiance after two cruises...

Any thoughts?

Barb

I have started looking at the February 2014 cruises (we have to travel during our daughter's school break week) and the NCL offerings leave me cold. We don't like Epic much, don't want to do Western Caribbean again, can't take enough time to do the Sun Southern Caribbean. Our choice turns out to be Getaway, and I can't see the price for the bottom category suite.

We love NCL but I am thinking of taking the Jewel OTS out of San Juan. We are platinum on NCL, started cruising with RCI but switched allegiance after two cruises...

Any thoughts?

Barb

I agree the prices on the Breakaway and the Gateway are way too high right now. Having said that I wasn't at all happy on the Explorer last time we sailed RCCL.. How about Celebrity? Their newer ships are awesome, only problem with them is that you have to dress up. I love NCL too were sailing on the 12 day Jewel in January, Eastern Caribbean. I always feel so at home on NCL., its usually my first choice and I get why your struggling...

Any thoughts?

Barb

I agree the prices on the Breakaway and the Gateway are way too high right now. Having said that I wasn't at all happy on the Explorer last time we sailed RCCL.. How about Celebrity? Their newer ships are awesome, only problem with them is that you have to dress up. I love NCL too were sailing on the 12 day Jewel in January, Eastern Caribbean. I always feel so at home on NCL., its usually my first choice so I understand why your struggling...

Any thoughts?

Barb

I booked the Jewel of the Seas for March 2014 and I think you should go for it! I haven't sailed on NCL yet (Dawn in April 2013) so I can't compare yet. But I feel comfortable on RCI. You can be somewhat casual and the Jewel is a beautiful ship plus you can't beat the itineraries out of San Juan :D

Go and enjoy!

I agree the prices on the Breakaway and the Gateway are way too high right now. Having said that I wasn't at all happy on the Explorer last time we sailed RCCL.. How about Celebrity? Their newer ships are awesome, only problem with them is that you have to dress up. I love NCL too were sailing on the 12 day Jewel in January, Eastern Caribbean. I always feel so at home on NCL., its usually my first choice and I get why your struggling...

I want to try Celebrity as well. The Epic is switching to Western Carib, and I'm not interested in going on her more than twice. I'm getting tired of the eastern carib, and have no interest in Bermuda at all. I think the service on Princess has dropped dramatically. I still like RCCL, but am leaning towards trying a higher end cruise line - without going on the "snooty" lines LOL

I actually think it is a good idea to occasionally try other lines, we have sailed on five different ones and it allows you to decide which one works best for you. Blind loyalty to any line is not a good thing.

Thank you all for your responses. I looked at Celebrity Reflection and the price is attractive. We dress for dinner anyway so that's not an issue. My question though- our daughter will be 15 on that cruise. Will there be plenty of other teenagers on it? Her favorite cruise so far was on the Sun because she made friends at the teen club.

Our two cruises on RCI were on Explorer class ships.

Barb

Thank you all for your responses. I looked at Celebrity Reflection and the price is attractive. We dress for dinner anyway so that's not an issue. My question though- our daughter will be 15 on that cruise. Will there be plenty of other teenagers on it? Her favorite cruise so far was on the Sun because she made friends at the teen club.

Barb

On our Epic cruise last year, when we were in St. Thomas, we met a family who was there on one of the Celebrity ships. I don't remember which ship, but my concern was exactly what yours is - that there wouldn't be anything for my daughter to do. They were traveling with their 3 teenage kids, all in the 15 - 17 age group, and she said she barely saw them,and there were a lot of teens on the ship as well.

Barb

Usually when schools are out there are plenty of kids onboard, not as may as NCL or Royal or Carnival. Im certain she will find friends during winter break. I went on the Silhouette and she is one of the most beautiful ship I have ever sailed on...Food and service, excellent!

Thanks for the reassurance about Celebrity, SissasMomE and antsnanny. There don't have to be 500 teenagers (scary thought) for my daughter to have fun- but she is definitely not the type to have fun sitting with her dad and me for a week. Last night my husband and I decided to go with Celebrity. Now I need to research the cabin classes and think about if their suite perks justify the price differential. If any of you have any thoughts about that I would appreciate your input.

Barb

Archived