Be careful when buying the watches on the Breeze

SmogMonster

We did the bella Perllina bracelet thing too. Bought some as gifts from daughter etc. they are very nice. But it was crazy in there. The sales rep in the limelight lounge was challenging the group to beat the record for the number of bracelets bought. I think it ended up being sixteen!!

We were very aware that they were not super expensive bracelets and we really werent getting that big of a deal. But from the actions of most in there, you would think they thought they were getting the deal of a lifetime!

I can't even begin to express my frustration with these "watches" and the staff in the watch store. My son was dying for one of the watches so he picked one but the salespeople wouldn't fit it for him!

More detail on page 13 of my Liberty review - post 256 and 283

No more on board shopping for me (unless it's liquor because I KNOW you can't mess that up!)

I usually buy a watch every cruise.My Citizen eco drives are 40% off retail and last forever.I agree you get what you pay for ,a $20 watch should be a warning that its junk

I agree on the Citizen eco drives. I am TOUGH on watches. I can kill them in less than 6 months... I bought my Citizen on the Liberty in 2007 and it's still going strong. Spent about $120 on it and well worth it. DH has one as well.

I agree on the Citizen eco drives. I am TOUGH on watches. I can kill them in less than 6 months... I bought my Citizen on the Liberty in 2007 and it's still going strong. Spent about $120 on it and well worth it. DH has one as well.

Same here. Got mine on the Fantasy in August 2007 and I beat the hell out of it (I am very clumsy). $500 at Macy's, $275 on board.

I can't even begin to express my frustration with these "watches" and the staff in the watch store. My son was dying for one of the watches so he picked one but the salespeople wouldn't fit it for him!

No more on board shopping for me (unless it's liquor because I KNOW you can't mess that up!)

Looks like he was a happy man after :)

I am not positive but I would assume the sales staff in the gift shops are on commission and when they dont sell higher end items they are basically cashiers.Its sad that a $100 purchase they wouldnt at least size it for him.

Not sure if it was the same watch but when the time changed and I tried to set it, the stem came off in my hand. SO, I stayed on DST until I got a replacement. What did I do with the watch? I left in in car was hand bay by the wash selector and coin slot. I wish I could have seen the person's face that found it.

Not sure if it was the same watch but when the time changed and I tried to set it, the stem came off in my hand. SO, I stayed on DST until I got a replacement. What did I do with the watch? I left in in car was hand bay by the wash selector and coin slot. I wish I could have seen the person's face that found it.

I think I am missing something - I have no idea what you just said.

I learned my lesson and skipped buying the cheap crap after the first cruise. I did buy the gold by the inch. After wearing it on a warm day I had this odd greeish black stain on my ankle where I had work the anklet.....odd...

Eco-drive watches. I bought the Skyhawk AT on the Valor almost four years ago and I love my watch!!!!!!! I got it 40% off and I priced them out at home when I got back. Cheapest I could find it was around $800. I paid $335US, so I figure with exchange it ws $350 Canadian, so I saved $450 by buying it on the ship.

Cheap watches--my old Timex Acqua died on me the day before I was going to leave on my Liberty cruise. I looked for a battery when I got back and I couldn't find one. I was at Walmart where they had watches on for $10. Hell, all I need is a el-cheapo digital watch as a backup to the Skyhawk, so for $10, I bought one..if it dies it dies...

Cheap watches--my old Timex Acqua died on me the day before I was going to leave on my Liberty cruise. I looked for a battery when I got back and I couldn't find one. I was at Walmart where they had watches on for $10. Hell, all I need is a el-cheapo digital watch as a backup to the Skyhawk, so for $10, I bought one..if it dies it dies...

That's the other watch I can't kill - a cheapie Timex sports watch called the "1440." They're plain old digital sports watches for less than $20 at places like Walmart or Target. I swim 3-5 days a week in mine and use it for hiking or any "dirty" work where I don't want to mess up my Citizen. I also use it in port on cruises where it's no big loss if something happens to it. Waterproof and nearly indestructable. My husband got a men's version about 4 years ago and just replaced it when the strap broke a few weeks ago. He's a gardener for our city parks system so his watches REALLY take abuse.

Now a regular Timex dress watch I can destroy in a few months and he's had their more expensive "Expedition" line fall apart quickly.

Hi all,

Just wanted to give you a word of warning if you plan on buying any of the designer watches on the Breeze. They have a big watch sale that is very popular. The brand of the watches is Cote d'Azur. they are beautiful watches that Carnival claims usually cost about $100. They will be on sale for $20.

I bought one that looks like an aviator watch that has 3 little dials on the face. I tried to set it last night and discovered that the three little dials are painted on!

Was it still a good deal? Sure. where else can you buy a nice looking watch, pen and wallet set for $20? But it definitely is not a $100 watch.

As stated on my review on a different thread, we loved the ship and had a great cruise. We had very few problems as are planning on cruising the breeze again.

You got what you paid for. Buying a watch on a ship, JUNK.

so for $10, I bought one..if it dies it dies...

That's my philosophy as well. I bought a watch at Kohl's prior to my recent Thanksgiving cruise for a little less than $20 and discovered the extra dials were fake when I got home. I just kind of laughed and set the time, I just needed a cheap watch after all since I tend to lose or break them.

Fast forward three days later and I'm going through security in Galveston and they ask me to remove my watch because I set of the metal detector. When i was cleared and picking up my things from the table, I ended up dropping the watch and the bezel broke, the back went rolling one direction and the clear plastic "glass" went another. Before our first port day I bought one of the $10 Bijou Turner watches from the gift shop on the Magic. It's nothing special, but I'll wear it until inevitably I lose or break it.

I also bought one of the $20 Cote d'Azur sets as a thank you gift for my mom for watching our dog while we were away. It had a decent looking watch and a matching necklace/pendant and earrings. We all had a laugh at the $89.99 "suggested retail" price listed in the box, mom included.

The first cruise we went on, we thought there were so many good deals. One time we wasted an entire port day with the shopping guru, you had to collect stickers or something from all these shops, and then once you had all your stickers, you got like a pearl necklace, or something like that, that had very little value. But you live and learn and I think it was nice of you to warn others - because when you first start cruising it is easy to fall under the spell! Now when we cruise we usually just buy liquor and maybe vanilla and some little knick knacks.

My sister did that with Diamonds International while in San Jaun.. Went from store to store getting ticket stubs and free diamond coupons.. Then we had to wait around for another hour untill the drawing.. Up couse "we" didnt win anything...

Waste of our time.. I almost went back to the ship my myself but I was helping push my Mom in a wheel chair.

Edited by cruiseveteran2

I knew i wasnt getting a $100 watch for $20. Been around too long to fall for that. But I certainly didnt expect to see painted on dials and hands! Even the buttons on the side of the watch were fake!

My son bought that same watch.

He was not happy when he found that it was a cheap fake.

Personally, I feel that Carnival cheapens their name by allowing this to go on.

People do actually believe their hype and think that since Carnival is doing it that it is a legitimate deal.

People fall for it and maybe it is a lesson learned for them, but at the same time Carnival looks dishonest because they are being dishonest.

Message to the Carnival powers that be...scamming your customers is not cool.

Edited by mzloolue

I bought an ecodrive in 1997 in the UK. I wore it day and night for 10 years, it never let me down.

I stopped wearing it when the gold plating faded....I've still got it, it's in a drawer...If I leave it in daylight for a short while it runs perfectly again!

No i didnt. Its very hard to tell unless you look real close and you cant set it before you buy it because it has the little plastic thing that keeps the battery from activating.

Please dont misread my post. I am not bashing Carnival. Just wanted others to learn from my mistake.

I got a kick out of Carnival promoting their everything ten dollars "sale" of Bijoux Terner items like scarves, bags, jewelry, and other accessories. It's not a sale at all. Bijoux Terner is a retailer that can be found in airports and other places and all their items are always $10.

its pretty easy to fit them. there is a pin you remove and move to another slot.

• 2 weeks later...

My brother-in-law bought one of the "special: sets and the watch never made it until the end of the holiday. After leaking through the bezel in the shower it broke the next day in port. I think the pen lasted slightly longer. You get what you pay for though.

• 4 years later...

This still holds true for the Cote D' Azur watch. My son bought a "$65" dollar watch on Epic Norwegian 2 days ago and last light he notices that the second hand stops every 10 seconds. He set the time on the watch Saturday night and by Sunday morning it was 9 hours behind.