Be careful when buying the watches on the Breeze

SmogMonster

Hi all,

Just wanted to give you a word of warning if you plan on buying any of the designer watches on the Breeze. They have a big watch sale that is very popular. The brand of the watches is Cote d'Azur. they are beautiful watches that Carnival claims usually cost about $100. They will be on sale for $20.

I bought one that looks like an aviator watch that has 3 little dials on the face. I tried to set it last night and discovered that the three little dials are painted on!

Was it still a good deal? Sure. where else can you buy a nice looking watch, pen and wallet set for $20? But it definitely is not a $100 watch.

As stated on my review on a different thread, we loved the ship and had a great cruise. We had very few problems as are planning on cruising the breeze again.

Watches, purses, jewelry, gold by the foot etc. You get what you pay for - does anybody really think they are going to sell $100 watches for $20 - on the ship or on shore. They will never ever lose money, they will only make money so if you pay $20 for a $100 item that means it is only worth $15 or less.

I bought a watch in the gift shop last year for $10.00. I wore it everyday to work and the only problem I had was the battery had to be replaced. I recently removed it and put it into my pants pocket and was very unhappy when it went through the washer and dryer! Looks like I will be buying another one next month :)

The old ladies went absolutely bonkers on our last cruise for those bracelets they were selling. I mean, it was full on pandemonium for them. I was actually looking at watches and these ladies had glazed looks in their eye with arm fulls of boxes of bracelets...I asked the guy working there, and he said yep...like this every wednesday night...

Got back to my room, and sure enough, my mother in law had bought 2 or 3 of them....rofl... :confused:

Watches, purses, jewelry, gold by the foot etc. You get what you pay for - does anybody really think they are going to sell $100 watches for $20 - on the ship or on shore. They will never ever lose money, they will only make money so if you pay $20 for a $100 item that means it is only worth $15 or less.

I knew i wasnt getting a $100 watch for $20. Been around too long to fall for that. But I certainly didnt expect to see painted on dials and hands! Even the buttons on the side of the watch were fake!

Hi all,

Just wanted to give you a word of warning if you plan on buying any of the designer watches on the Breeze. They have a big watch sale that is very popular. The brand of the watches is Cote d'Azur. they are beautiful watches that Carnival claims usually cost about $100. They will be on sale for $20.

I bought one that looks like an aviator watch that has 3 little dials on the face. I tried to set it last night and discovered that the three little dials are painted on!

Was it still a good deal? Sure. where else can you buy a nice looking watch, pen and wallet set for $20? But it definitely is not a $100 watch.

As stated on my review on a different thread, we loved the ship and had a great cruise. We had very few problems as are planning on cruising the breeze again.

and you didnt notie this BEFORE you bought it ?

and you didnt notie this BEFORE you bought it ?

No i didnt. Its very hard to tell unless you look real close and you cant set it before you buy it because it has the little plastic thing that keeps the battery from activating.

Please dont misread my post. I am not bashing Carnival. Just wanted others to learn from my mistake.

I knew i wasnt getting a $100 watch for $20. Been around too long to fall for that. But I certainly didnt expect to see painted on dials and hands! Even the buttons on the side of the watch were fake!

Yeah, that's pretty bottom of the barrel on watches. We bought those stretch plastic band watches at Brookstone, 2 for $30, with a light and working buttons. They were perfect for the cruise, figured if the bat died or they slipped off or the watch fell out of the band (easy to do) and broke it was no big deal. But I think if I had been looking for a cool dress watch, I'd be disappointed if the faces were painted on and buttons did work too.

Re the faux Pandora bracelets (BellaDonna?) someone mentioned, my SIL went to the Jewelery show on the day these were offered. She says there were cat fights over women breaking in line to get into the Limelight Lounge and squabbles over these trinkets of bling once inside. You'd a thought these were rare limited pieces. I saw stacks and stacks of these 2 for $40, 2 for $60, 2 for $80 in front of the store that evening and for the rest of the cruise. They all looked the same; minor color changes, more beads and bauble on $$$ ones. Nothing to go riot over and plenty of stock. Go figure.

The first cruise we went on, we thought there were so many good deals. One time we wasted an entire port day with the shopping guru, you had to collect stickers or something from all these shops, and then once you had all your stickers, you got like a pearl necklace, or something like that, that had very little value. But you live and learn and I think it was nice of you to warn others - because when you first start cruising it is easy to fall under the spell! Now when we cruise we usually just buy liquor and maybe vanilla and some little knick knacks.

I usually buy a watch every cruise.My Citizen eco drives are 40% off retail and last forever.I agree you get what you pay for ,a $20 watch should be a warning that its junk

The EcoDrive 40% is a good price. Only other time I can get the same price (including tax) is when Kohl's has them on 20% off and I have a 30%off coupon.

After a while they do stop working. There is a capacitator (or something) that breaks down. Has happened to both Mom and I. Cheaper to get a new watch then to replace the part.

For that plastic part on the stem- I take it out and make sure the watch works. Just replace when done checking.

I bought 2 of those Bella Perlina bracelets, they didn't seem like horrible quality for something to wear to work and they were pretty. But the watches are junk...I agree they have decent deals on the Citizen watches, I bought a pretty nice one last week. Love Eco Drives

I usually buy a watch every cruise.My Citizen eco drives are 40% off retail and last forever.I agree you get what you pay for ,a $20 watch should be a warning that its junk
If they last forever, why do you buy one every cruise?

Take the heads up a little further and be cautious if you decided to venture further into the spiders web and buy the more expensively priced stuff inside. Like anything else you have to know ahead of time, the name brand and what a reasonable price back home would be to compare.

I think the stuff outside is great for stocking stuffers for this time of year or just for fun wear. The bracelets almost drew me in but I realized how many of those beads I've got at home and dragged myself away.

The EcoDrive 40% is a good price. Only other time I can get the same price (including tax) is when Kohl's has them on 20% off and I have a 30%off coupon.

After a while they do stop working. There is a capacitator (or something) that breaks down. Has happened to both Mom and I. Cheaper to get a new watch then to replace the part.

For that plastic part on the stem- I take it out and make sure the watch works. Just replace when done checking.

I only have a few ecodrives and the one is my everyday work watch and I guess I have been lucky I have had it a long time and the thing will not die lol

I only have a few ecodrives and the one is my everyday work watch and I guess I have been lucky I have had it a long time and the thing will not die lol

It's only happened to those two. The others are fine.

I agree with you on the EcoDrive's cheaper to replace than fix.