Shopping tips for South America cruise

thuyronald

Hello everyone,

Wondering if there are any good tips/suggestions for shopping for our upcoming South America cruise. I'm interested in alpaca products (sweaters, scarves, hats, etc) and local souvenirs or anything worth looking for.

If you have any tips such as names of the store or market or where to avoid and unique things to look for at a specific port, please kindly share the information. I would be greatly appreciate your assistance.

We are visiting:

Iguassu Falls

Buenos Aires

Montevideo

Punta Arenas

Puerto Madryn

Falkland Islands

Ushuaia

Puerto Montt

Santiago

Lima

Thank you in advance

Twee

From that list, your best bet for selection and price is the market along the street, in walking distance of the port, at Puerto Montt. They had a good selection of knitted goods, loomed alpaca scarves, as well as crafts like wonderful hand-made dolls in native attire. If you take a tour to some of the neighboring towns on lakes with volcano views, we found great crafts markets there with the same quality and priced goods.

BA and Montevideo will have higher quality and prices, think loomed alpaca vs. the handknits of Chile. Both are nice.

You will also find traditional woolen handknits in Port Stanley of the Falklands, as well as locally produced woolen yarns, the prices will continue to climb.

When we were aboard the Splendor in March 2009, I had a friend who begged me to find her two alpaca sweaters. I bought one in Puerto Montt (good advice you've already received about PM), and I bought the second one on the pier in Lima where there were vendors lined up in a row--and lots to choose from!

Looking forward to our return to both ports and doing more "shopping by proxy" because I just spoke to my friend on the phone Thursday evening, and she'd like two more sweaters--but in different colors!

HAPPY CRUISING!!

Hello everyone,

Wondering if there are any good tips/suggestions for shopping for our upcoming South America cruise. I'm interested in alpaca products (sweaters, scarves, hats, etc) and local souvenirs or anything worth looking for.

If you have any tips such as names of the store or market or where to avoid and unique things to look for at a specific port, please kindly share the information. I would be greatly appreciate your assistance.

We are visiting:

Iguassu Falls

Buenos Aires

Montevideo

Punta Arenas

Puerto Madryn

Falkland Islands

Ushuaia

Puerto Montt

Santiago

Lima

Thank you in advance

Twee

Iguazu falls. Capybara (more often called carpincho in Argentina) leather goods. Very distinctive belts, shoes, boots and bags.

Buenos Aires...if you are there on a Sunday, try the local open air markets...Recoleta and San Telmo attract the largest crowds...not sure of the summer schedule, but Mataderos is the most distinctive of the local markets...Materdos is the former meat packing district and maintains a close relationship with the countryside...folk dancing and gauchos and the like. Very high quality woven scarves.

Montevideo...in either Montevideo or Buenos Aires, if you are looking for a local souvenir, pick up a Mate Cup and Bombilla (metal straw)....they are made from gourds or from fancier materials such as silver. Mate (a form of herbal tea....tastes like boiled alfalfa to me) is a local addiction and drink of choice.

We are not visiting Lima on a cruise so I don't think we have time to check the pier out. I was hoping to get the alpaca items in Lima (hopefully cheaper) since this is our last stop before heading home to the US. Luggage space and weight are so limited now, so I would rather not drag those items around SA for three weeks. But of course, if I see something worthwhile to buy, then I'll buy them wherever I see them.

I'll look out for the leather items in Iguazu.

For Buenos Aires, we will not be there on a Sunday so we will not be able to visit the market there.

I'll check out those mate cup and bombilla- looks cute as a souvenir but not necessarily something I would actually use.

Thanks all for your help.

We are not visiting Lima on a cruise so I don't think we have time to check the pier out. I was hoping to get the alpaca items in Lima (hopefully cheaper) since this is our last stop before heading home to the US. Luggage space and weight are so limited now, so I would rather not drag those items around SA for three weeks. But of course, if I see something worthwhile to buy, then I'll buy them wherever I see them.

I'll look out for the leather items in Iguazu.

For Buenos Aires, we will not be there on a Sunday so we will not be able to visit the market there.

I'll check out those mate cup and bombilla- looks cute as a souvenir but not necessarily something I would actually use.

Thanks all for your help.

Carpincho is a large rodent....with very distinctive skins and smooth, spotted leather....makes some beautiful bags, boots, wallets and belts.

Mate is an "acquired" taste....can't say I like it much, especially without sugar...but the mate cup does make a great conversation piece placed on a mantel or display shelf.

Good info, any suggested items for an Amozon Cruise?

The hammocks are locally made and interesting as well as reasonably priced. They are bulky though. There is not a lot to purchase at the smaller ports. I got some carved wood items of toucans that I still like and they were inexpensive. I got a letter opener and a wall hanging at 2 different stops at outdoor markets. I would advise avoiding the dried mounted piranhas. We didn't buy any but several people that did had them dropping live worms and bugs before we got back to Ft. Lauderdale and the ship had to do a roundup and incineration as well as spray lots of insecticide. It was pretty gross and I think a lesson learned!

In Manaus, I bought a little toucan statue of carved stone. It was more expensive at H. Stern, but I love it.

Another vote for the capybara leather goods. My husband is on his 2nd wallet. It is an attractive and interesting looking leather. It wears well and the products we got in 2 different Buenos Aires stores were well made. They were not inexpensive though. I think he paid between $35 and $45 dollars for each. I bought a bunch of zippered coin purses at a truck stop on the way to an estancia during a tour and I think I only paid about $5 each for them. They were still nice.

Another vote for the capybara leather goods. My husband is on his 2nd wallet. It is an attractive and interesting looking leather. It wears well and the products we got in 2 different Buenos Aires stores were well made. They were not inexpensive though. I think he paid between $35 and $45 dollars for each. I bought a bunch of zippered coin purses at a truck stop on the way to an estancia during a tour and I think I only paid about $5 each for them. They were still nice.

Capybara leather goods are less expensive in Puerto Iguazu than in Buenos Aires...there is a strip of stores along the main street that offer a variety of products....quality varies, but I have had very good luck with the things I have bought in Iguazu.

I don't think anyone sells products made from penguin leather! I am sure that isn't what you meant...

I found the most and best penguin-image items in Ushuaia and the Falkland Islands. I liked but didn't buy the rhodocrosite penquins in Ushuaia. Rhodocrosite is a stone found in a few places including Argentina and you will see it everywhere. It makes a nice souvenir and can be found in knick-knacks as well as jewelry and the price range will reflect the quality of the stone as well as the craftsmanship. I believe I bought a pair of ball-shaped 10K gold-post earrings for $10 in the La Boca area of BA, but they had jewelry priced in the $1000s as well. The prices for penguin-image items in Ushuaia will be lower than in the Falklands. I still bought in Port Stanley. They had a couple of wonderful shops to the right from the tender dock about a block or 2, past the church as I recall and one on each side of the street. I bought little sterling silver penguin earrings in a penguin box as gifts for girls and they were charming and I think still under $20. I bought a penguin cross-stitch pattern across the street as well as some yarn.

I know just the store you are referring to in Port Stanley. I bought the cutest penguin candles that I refuse to burn! Also, purchased a very nice coffee mug with penguins. The nicest mug in my collection. Make sure to stop at that store. I think the name pof the store is the Harbor View.

Bobi

No, I didn't mean penguin leather, just anything with a penguin theme.

Hopefully, the weather will be nice and our Falkland Island port will not be cancelled. I will look for the Harbor View shop in Port Stanley.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if you have gone already or not, but here are some suggestions of what I have found to be the best buys in SA and the most liked souvenirs!!

Knits: while many street markets have alpaga sweaters for sale, you'll find that the fit isn't great, and the sweaters I bought didn't get any wear (body was too long, sleeves too high etc.)... however, the scarves, mittens and hats were a big hit!

Penguins: You'll fing gazillions of knick-knacks with penguins, so it all depends on what you like. Personally, I don't care much for knick-knacks so I bought knitted penguins made of alpaga wool - they are not only really cute, but they are hand-made there instead of somewhere in China!!!

Leather: I bought myself a very nice leather jacket on Florida Street in Buenos Aires. The store name is Maybe. They were able to fit it for me (they took in the waist, shortened the sleeves and added a belt) within 1 hour! In Canada, this jacket would be well over $500 and I paid less than $100. I still wear it a lot and the leather is beautiful.

I also bought some really nice coin purses and wallets in Ushuaia with some Yamana native designs.

Mate: The mate cup and bombilla make really nice gifts - not for use, even if people can use them for loose tea! But you'll see all kinds, some with silver feet etc. I should have bought more as everyone wanter one!!

Wine: Don't forget that Argentina and Chile have some amazing wines... Malbec is not too be missed!

Finally, I bought a few jars of Dulce de Leche, a sweet milk caramel spread, an argentinian specialty!! I went to a corner store in BA and bought a few brands, they were all good!

Hope this helps!!

MC

Thanks MC,

I'm leaving for my trip on Jan 24th, so the information is very helpful.

I wasn't planning to buy any leather but may look into the store you mentioned in Buenos Aires.

I do plan to get a few alpaca scarves and few penguin related items.

We're not drinkers so no wine for us.

Thanks again.

twee

Thanks MC,

I'm leaving for my trip on Jan 24th, so the information is very helpful.

I wasn't planning to buy any leather but may look into the store you mentioned in Buenos Aires.

I do plan to get a few alpaca scarves and few penguin related items.

We're not drinkers so no wine for us.

Thanks again.

twee

I am not sure when the previous poster bought her jacket in Buenos Aires but it is not very likely that you will find a good jacket these days for under a hundred dollars. Inflation has been running 25% per year for the past five years. Her other suggestions for Argentina were great--Malbec, Dulce de Leche and Mates/Bombillas.

I am not sure when the previous poster bought her jacket in Buenos Aires but it is not very likely that you will find a good jacket these days for under a hundred dollars. Inflation has been running 25% per year for the past five years. Her other suggestions for Argentina were great--Malbec, Dulce de Leche and Mates/Bombillas.

I bought the jacket in 2007 so you're right, it may be more expensive now. BUT, the leather is exceptional, and to get a tailored jacket made here, it would be a lot more! It's a wonderful souvenir, and every time I wear it, I think of our days in Buenos Aires!!!

MC :)

I bought the jacket in 2007 so you're right, it may be more expensive now. BUT, the leather is exceptional, and to get a tailored jacket made here, it would be a lot more! It's a wonderful souvenir, and every time I wear it, I think of our days in Buenos Aires!!!

MC :)

My wife bought her leather jacket In BA the same year. She wore hers this morning. :)

My weakness is for leather shoes made in Argentina. I have three pair from Lopez Taibo to remind me of BA. Ok, that and Luigi Bosca DOC Malbec :)

There are a couple of more Argentine specialties that may interest you. Submarinos is their special hot chocolate. You get a cup of steamed milk with a little chocolate bar sometimes shaped like a submarine, sometimes not and a pack of sugar and make your own hot chocolate. Delicious if you are there on a cold day!

P2272636.jpg

P2272637.jpg

You will also see a lot of shops (like we see Starbucks here) called Havanna. They sell special cookies and in lots of shops, like at the airport as you're leaving! They make good gifts to take home.

http://www.havanna.com.ar/en-home.html

Most shops and vendors will take US$ in addition to their local currency. However, the US$ must be in good condition. They will not accept torn, dirty or written on money. Also, many will give change in local currency, so you should take enough small US bills.

You will also see a lot of shops (like we see Starbucks here) called Havanna. They sell special cookies and in lots of shops, like at the airport as you're leaving! They make good gifts to take home.

http://www.havanna.com.ar/en-home.html

They're called alfajores and I agree wholeheartedly! Buy as many boxes as you can fit in your suitcases, because Havanna has no US outlets.

Archived