Beginners - San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Martin, Samana

Cruising4

My two sons, 13 and 23 are newly certified divers. We'll be at stopping at the above ports in February.

I'm nervous! I want dive sites with little current, very small groups, attentive DMs, etc.

Thinking of seeing if DH and I can go along on the boat ride and snorkel (we are both certified but haven't done any dives in many many years).

Do any of the ports offer better dive spots? Any ports to not even bother diving?

My thought is to do a single tank dive at each port. I've contacted dive shops based on recommendation on the board - thanks for the great advise.

I dove with Underwater Safaris in St. Thomas off of RCL Serenade last Feb. ('12). We went a short distance to a cove at Buck Island (Wye Reef and Cartanza). No current and fantastic visibility. In the same cove were other excursions including snorkling and 'underwater bikes'. I'm a cautious diver and was quite pleased with all aspects. In St. Martin ('10), we were fortunate enough to be able to arrange a personal dive trip with Octopus Diving in Grand Case. My kids (then 17 and 19) did their first 2 certification dives (with dad as class photographer and mom the snorkeler above). Probably tricky to coordinate cruise schedule and dive with Octopus but if you can, Chris and Sally are awesome and will make sure you have the best experience.

I am looking for info for San Juan diving as well. Heading there on Feb. 6th before Feb. 9th Brilliance of the Seas cruise. Also planning to dive in Tortola and St. Kitts.

Hope this helps.

I would agree that St. Thomas would be the best bet for you, although I haven't dived in San Juan yet. I dove in St. Martin with Octopus in August, and wasn't impressed. Plus, we hit a very strong current that surprised the DM. However, the owners were out of the country and you know when the cat's away...

Samana is wonderful diving and I can give you a great recommendation for there. But, you would be diving off a very small boat and would have to do a backroll. I would recommend Blue Island Divers in St. Thomas.

We dove St Thomas and San Juan last week, and visited St Martin a few years ago. St Thomas would be the best choice in my opinion--but we have not been diving at Samana. We have done shore dives at Coki Beach Dive Club on St Thomas twice now several years apart--they were great both times. The cab ride is kinda a bite--over $40. round trip for 2 of us, but a tank and weights is $10. We saw a lot of nice coral and sea fans, and ok fish life going to the right off the beach. On our dive in San Juan behind the closed Normandie Hotel, wind and waves stirred it up to where we had about 5 ft of viz at most--it was an easy entry and exit in a little cove where we had no waves. It is close to the docks and about a 10 minute taxi ride.

I dove w/ them in November. They went to dive sites that are wonderful, and they really personalize your time. Very professional and spend tons of time pointing out sea life I would never have seen. They will make your boys very comfortable and are a small outfit, so you are definitely not just a #.

• 2 weeks later...

Coki Beach divers in St Thomas -- I think they'll be great for you -- small shop, very attentive, beach dive, nice beach to hang out on before/after. Short cab ride from the port. By the book divemaster yet very personable. Have fun! Snorkelers can tag along on surface if desired.

I dove with Underwater Safaris in St. Thomas off of RCL Serenade last Feb. ('12). We went a short distance to a cove at Buck Island (Wye Reef and Cartanza). No current and fantastic visibility. In the same cove were other excursions including snorkling and 'underwater bikes'. I'm a cautious diver and was quite pleased with all aspects. In St. Martin ('10), we were fortunate enough to be able to arrange a personal dive trip with Octopus Diving in Grand Case. My kids (then 17 and 19) did their first 2 certification dives (with dad as class photographer and mom the snorkeler above). Probably tricky to coordinate cruise schedule and dive with Octopus but if you can, Chris and Sally are awesome and will make sure you have the best experience.

I am looking for info for San Juan diving as well. Heading there on Feb. 6th before Feb. 9th Brilliance of the Seas cruise. Also planning to dive in Tortola and St. Kitts.

Hope this helps.

I did a INTRO DIVING excursion through Royal Caribbean(St Thomas/Buck Island) with them and largely agree with this. It was enjoyable enough to prompt me to get my certification. We went to the same location. The water was warm and no current with great visibility. The only negative was due to the fact that this was a INTRO dive. We had one lady who couldn't swim :mad: It really cut into our enjoyment

Coki Beach divers in St Thomas -- I think they'll be great for you -- small shop, very attentive, beach dive, nice beach to hang out on before/after. Short cab ride from the port. By the book divemaster yet very personable. Have fun! Snorkelers can tag along on surface if desired.

I completely agree with this. We did 2 tanks last week. I enjoyed as did my 8 and 11 year old kids.

The staff was great.

I would have said there is no diving in San Juan but then read this:

On our dive in San Juan behind the closed Normandie Hotel, wind and waves stirred it up to where we had about 5 ft of viz at most

but maybe this just confirms there is no diving in San Jaun .... not to be confused with 'you can not buy a dive trip in San Juan'

San Juan was in my work area of responsibility for 20 years and I got R&R there MANY times. I like to dive and if there was decent diving I'd have gone - often. There isn't. There IS good diving in PR .... just not around San Juan.

OR - there's diving in the pond in my backyard too!

Hope this helps.

The diving is St Thomas is great, another good spot for new divers in St Thomas is off Coki Beach.

Like BJ Said, PR has a lot of good dive sites, just not around San Juan.

Archived