New to RCI Questions!

I have never sailed RCI but have cruised with Carnival quite a bit. I am curious about some of the differences (objective) between the two. For example, room service is free on both but there is a surcharge on RCI between midnight and 5:00am. I am going on the Navigator in January. Are fans allowed on RCI? I didn't see it in a list of prohibited items but I think I read where someone said they had seen fans confiscated. I have requested a fan on Carnival and received it (if I got on early enough. Thanks for any information!

Royal has specified formal nights in which the suggested attire is formal or cocktail attire. I sailed Carnival awhile ago. If I recall the formal night had a different designation. My feeling is that Royal has more passengers who do adhere to the suggestions for formal attire, but in recent cruises I have noticed a loosening of standards in this regard.

I dont know where you stand on the issue, but you may notice a difference between the two cruise lines on this matter.

I don't know the answer about the fans because we have had discussions here about it and there seems to be a variety of experiences with the fans. The only thing HUbby and I have ever had confiscated was his scissors.

Carnival ships have a coin laundry and ironing boards. Royal has neither of those. You have to send your clothes to the ship's laundry for cleaning or pressing.

On many Royal ships, but not all, you need to make reservations for certain shows such as the ice skating show. I don't know of Carnival requires reservations.

Royal may have a stricter smoking policy, but yo will need to check on the specific policy for your ship.

I really hope you enjoy Royal Caribbean and hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Don't worry about the room service. It is awful ( at least on the Allure) and not worth getting unless your starving.

Sorry not objective I know, but it was really bad. Husband and I had some nights we spent in our room ( to watch the packer game one night, and one night we felt too sick to go out) and the food was barely edible.

1. Easy of getting around the ship. Carnival has their ships built in Italy by Fincanterri. There fleet one one thing in common....you often have to go up or down to get forward or aft.

2. Differing option on room service. Breakfast....right on time every morning.

3.Food. Both lines have declined in recent years, but Carnival has declined far more dramatically. Son just returned from Carnival (honeymoon), said food was barely edible. Our last Caranival cruise, we found ourselves eating in the Pointe eveny night after the first night.

3A. Specialty restaurants. Pointe blows away chops for quality and staff. But Giovanni's table is absolutely outstainding on RCI.

4. Entertainment. Little things, like Carnival has eliminated the Caribbean bands on the pool deck..ie, no steel drums.

5. Activities...Carnival seems to schedule more things, but that is individual tastes.

6. Shows. Only reservations are getting tickets to the ice show or the special shows on Allure and Oasis. Ice shows, if you do not have a ticket you can walk up and in just prior to the performance. Getting tickets is NO BIG deal...merely walk up to the desk, ask for tickets and walk away.

7. Staff: recent cruises on both RCI and Carnival, Carnival crew ratio is higher and thus means more work per employee which translates to more work and less time to focus on the passengers.

Don't worry about the room service. It is awful ( at least on the Allure) and not worth getting unless your starving.

Sorry not objective I know, but it was really bad. Husband and I had some nights we spent in our room ( to watch the packer game one night, and one night we felt too sick to go out) and the food was barely edible.

Interesting as it comes from the same kitchen as the dining rooms.

We didn't eat in the MDR. Only windjammer, solarium once, and then the specialty restaurants. I will give you the room service burgers were as bad as in the windjammer. No fries. Got a steak sandwich one night which came with fries, but steak was like a piece of rubber and fries were greasy.

We sailed HAL last year and they had great room service, more variety.

We didn't eat in the MDR. Only windjammer, solarium once, and then the specialty restaurants. I will give you the room service burgers were as bad as in the windjammer. No fries. Got a steak sandwich one night which came with fries, but steak was like a piece of rubber and fries were greasy.

We sailed HAL last year and they had great room service, more variety.

Sorry for your experience, and I won't argue the burgers - certainly not the best in the WJ. Maybe it is more the choice of what you had. But the MDR food is good and we've had dinner room service before and thought it was very good.

....and nothing named the same (regardless of how its made) compares to a Philly steak sandwich.:D

Archived