No Insurance

scaredykat

Has anyone ever cruised with no insurance? I dont have any pre-existing conditions, therefore I'm not sure if I should purchase insurance or not. :eek: We will be leaving June 5th, so I do still have enough time to still purchase it. All advice will be helpful.

I'd look into this www.insuremytrip.com for some rates and exclusions by booking insurance so close to your trip. I'd never travel without it personally. One trip to the ship's Dr. will run $150 and you never know what types of infections you could pick up (not to scare you)... I'm a heathly person, but I've used the insurance for several infections picked up while traveling and it even keeps paying once you return home to see your current Dr. and medications.

My luggage has been damaged and items missing before and insurance paid up as well.

You also never know when airlines don't cooperate with your departure times due to unforeseen delays.

I agree with Pholter. Also it is not always what may happen to you, but what may happen to someone else you are traveling with, or leaving behind. Any type of emergency can arise. The decision is entirely yours and I know there are plenty who travel without it, but I would rather be covered than sorry and have to pay out of pocket.

Has anyone ever cruised with no insurance? I dont have any pre-existing conditions, therefore I'm not sure if I should purchase insurance or not. :eek: We will be leaving June 5th, so I do still have enough time to still purchase it. All advice will be helpful.

scaredykat:

We don't have any for our trip next month. We're flying in two days early and flying out a day after so flight delays shouldn't be a concern. As for medical, our existing insurance will cover us.

On our next cruise I'll probably buy insurance though.

HAD cruise insurance....

My adult son had no baggage...it was "LOST" in hell...on day 5 { of a 7 day}, he got his bag...HMMMMMMMM

13 people in the group, and one bag lost...WELLLLLL

Forwarned is forarmed, ok?

HE had nada....{thank GOD, him and bro wore same size}because all Carnival gave himwas :cool: 1 shaver, toothbrush, and a frikkin Tshirt...for 5 days??? Well READ your policy close...you have up to $500 to replace...but........oh no, you gotta keep receipts, and cannot claim until you return!!!!! And then fight them for every penny.:mad:

Do I get insurance? No...hell no...

What made you think it was Carnivals responsibility to purchase him replacement clothing?

The problem, while frustrating, was too easy. Buy some clothing, Of COURSE keep the receipts and then submit an insurance claim. Even homeowners or renters insurance would have covered that.

Heck yea I purchase insurance. Lost my wedding band and got reimbursed for it by TravelGard within 2 weeks. Guess what? I even sent in a copy of my receipt to proove what I had paid.

Medical evacuation can cost upward of $20,000.

Are you sure you're not going to sue for a free cruise because 1 piece of luggage out of 6000 got misplaced for a few days.

I have never purchased insurance, except the first time. That was with the cruise line. I have never needed it yet. I was going to get some this time but never got around to it, the cost thru the TA was way to high.

What I don't get is that you're spending SO much money on a vacation yet aren't willing to pay an additional amount (usually less than $75 depending on your age, then I'd DEFINITELY want it) to protect yourself. Heck, one accident could leave a severe financial burden on you. Not only can it pay if you get sick, but if there are unforseen delays, transfers (I didn't think I'd use it, but I had a medical claim & had to purchase a transfer to the airport due to the car rental place closing and the ship docking 9 hours late).

I met a guy on the last day of the cruise whose wife was at the Altun Ha ruins in Belize and fell and broke her ankle. He said that he never thought about purchasing travel insurance but now he knows why people purchase it. He said his next cruise they will definitely have it.

Several people from the Radiance were injured in a head-on accident in Acapulco in April. You just never know.

I've always had it and never used it - but I'd rather have it that way than needed it and not have it.

We were a group of 8 family members who last June were on a Mexican Riviera cruise. My single sister who at the time was 59 did NOT purchase insurance. We tried to talk her into it, but she did not buy into it... On day two she got sick and we thinking it might be motion sickness, we offered her a patch. Well, that didn't work and by day 3 in the evening she was in to see the ships doctor... who would not release her as all the tests they were running were all looking bad. To make a long story short... once we were in Puerto Vallarta she was taken off by ambulance to the hospital across the street (two people were that morning). She had to come up with about $3,200 up front to get her off the ship and then she ended up in the hospital for 9 full days there. Luckily for her ~ her home insurance kicked in after she was off the ship. We had no choice but to leave her there in Mexico. She had a pancreatic attack while on the ship and four months later in Dec. she had surgery. Today she is much better and still mending... I always, always, always get the insurance!

scaredykat:

We don't have any for our trip next month. We're flying in two days early and flying out a day after so flight delays shouldn't be a concern. As for medical, our existing insurance will cover us.

On our next cruise I'll probably buy insurance though.

Check with your insuranse about coverage outside of the country! you may not be covered. Also emergency airlift to the U.S. may not be covered eather. I would'nt take the chance of going without it.

I'll make a long story short. Cruise booked for March 2004. Perfectly healthy.

Jan....tingling in arm going clear up to my face. Trip to hospital ...huge meningioma( brain tumor...size of a flat orange) ....surgery scheduled within five days. Doc was booked up for next three months...obviously he considered this an emergency. If this had happened on the ship who knows what would have happened. Emergency evacuation costs $25,000-$35,000. Make sure your insurance covers emergency evacuation....just in case.

Doc said tumor was completely removed...I was cured.Booked another cruise. Feb.2005, first mri, tumor is back. Smaller but back. Point is....you never know.

Get the insurance.

Guest cruzr44

If for some reason (accident, injury), between now and cruise and you have to cancel you will not get your money back. I'm not sure, but if something were to happen to make you cancel maybe Carnival would let you "reschedule"??? Someone else may have that answer or you could call Carnival.

After you book a cruise how soon do you purchase your insurance plan. Have looked at insuremytrip. I want to have coverage on everything but not sure which one to choose. In the past we have purchased the insurance through Carnival. How does this compare?

Many policies have some extra coverage if you pay within 10-14 days of initial deposit (check the individual policies for details on this)... I would never purchase through the cruiseline, WAY more money. I get my policy for under $40, I don't worry about the pre-existing condition clause, so I just purchase sometime before I cruise. There are several good companies on insuremytrip.com, just review them and see which one fits you the best. I have used Travelguard and CSA.

We would NEVER book without the insurance and here's why:

First cruise I took with new hubby and his mother, brother and his wife, we were 4 days into a 7 day cruise and got word that his dad had unexpectedly passed away back home. What a shock! It was up to me to get the 5 of us back from Jamaica. The ship and it's agent were very helpful in making arrangements to get us off the ship, through customs and transportation to the airport 2 hrs away in Montego Bay. Yes, we had to pay for the airfare up front to get home, but were reimbursed very quickly not only for the airfare and expenses but for the unused portion of the cruise.

Next year, thought we would try it again. Six days before sailing, MIL fell and broke her hip. Again, no problems at all getting a full refund.

As someone mentioned, you may be healthy, but anything can happen not only to you but those you are traveling with and leaving behind. You're covered even if you have an accident on the way to the airport. As a former travel agent, I would never even consider not paying the small price for travel insurance to insure your long awaited and expensive vacation. It's hard to put a price on peace of mind!

Check with your insuranse about coverage outside of the country! you may not be covered. Also emergency airlift to the U.S. may not be covered eather. I would'nt take the chance of going without it.

I know that my PPO doesn't cover anything outside the US or transporting back to the US and several large ones that I've looked into don't either.

Some US healthcare companies will cover evacuation, SOME, not many... however, most of those that do cover this, cover the flight to the NEAREST medical facility, which could be BF Mexico, not a hospital in the US... I certainly don't want to be stuck in a hospital in a third world country, with the language barriers, and perhaps not the best care I could get here in the US... also, most PPO's, HMO's,etc may cover costs out of the country, but at a MUCH lower percentage... so a $10K bill in Mexico, could still cost you $5K, even with your US insurance... the $40 or so for travel insurance doesn't look so bad after that, LOL....

My son was on a land based vacation in Mexico and got sick. He ended up taking an ambulance to the "hospital" and I use the term loosely. They required cash for the ambulance. Once at the hospital he had to pay a daily rate and for his surgery, which ended up being an obstruction, upfront. We have blue cross/blue shield. It didn't cover anything out of the country. We had to file a claim when we got back to reimburse us for the $10,000.00 we ended up paying for his whole stay. he is only 22 and very healthy. You just never know when something is going to happen.

I would NEVER travel to a foreign country without travel insurance.

We travel a lot. We get the cruise insurance mainly for the cancellation aspect. When we travel by air, we don't worry about the insurance because we can always get a voucher to use later. I can always cancel hotel stays, even if there is a one night's penalty. I would sure hate to loose a few thousand dollars because someone broke their leg the night before the cruise. The cruise insurance is a small price to pay to insure that you don't lose your entire payment.

First few cruises I went on I purchased the insurance. Never a problem. I was on a cruise scheduled to leave September 14, 2001 and didn't purchase the insurance. Imagine my torture waiting to see if planes would be flying or cruise ships would be sailing. We were on the FIRST flight out Friday morning and (THANKFULLY) were among 1/3 of the passengers that showed up to sail. Next time, bought the insurance! No problem.

Last year when we cruised, we drove through a hurricane to get to the ship because we didn't purchase insurance and were in danger of losing everything. So, as you can imagine--I'm not booking a cruise again without the insurance. It's just a fail-safe for me!

Thank heavens, we've no medical issues to report. Hope everyone that has is doing a-okay!

Has anyone ever cruised with no insurance?

Ever? How about never. I've never purchased insurance for myself nor has anyone in my group on any of my cruises. This isn't a recommendation, just a statement of fact.

Oh, and visits to the ships doctor, which we have used for the kids 3 times, has always been covered in full by our existing medical policy.

Why not check with your current [olicy to see if you're covered all over the world? I know all the insurance I've ever had will cover me anywhere, even for non-emergency visits (ear infection, fever, etc.)

Archived