Carnival Legend DELAYED due to fog

smc0320

This exact same thing happened to us on the Jewel of the Sea, on February 2012. Unfortunately we didn't get the message from RCI until it was too late.

We are sitting at home about an hour from the port in Central Florida. It's 1:30

EST and the Legend has just got underway travelling at 0.5 knots. So thats a good sign.

So carnival says the port is closed but we are standing here and there are other ships coming into port. The port is NOT closed. carnival is using it as an excuse for something that happened in their plans.

Are the other ships coming in as tall as Carnival Legend? Could the port be closed due to its size?

We just went over sunshine skyway on our way back, clear and sunny!

Yes, I do expect updates even if no further communication is available. If I don't hear anything it makes me worry that the email or text may have been missed. I'm sure carnival wouldn't issue a refund if I missed the boat because a text didn't come through.

Exactly. Good communication is something they CAN control.

Agree 100% I get it... It was foggy but dang I got a call at 8:54 am. No other information.... None. I wouldn't mind an update every two hours that said no change. Thank God for our motel and car service! We are checked out but thy are allowing us to stay in the room. Car services states he is monitoring the situation and assures us that he will be available to us. No thanks to carnival for details. That wouldn't cost you a dime to just update us. I only heard it was moving cease of this board. So thank you guys!

So Carnival should be sending out email updates that say no new update but we will keep you updated. I am sure once the ship is moving and definitely will be able to make it under the bridge and an arrival and subsequent departure time has been determined then a new email will be sent.

Absolutely!

Just curious...does an Airline call you when your flight is delayed or your equipment (airplane) hasn't flown in, do trains alert you if they will be late arriving or departing, does a hotel call you to tell you that they are overbooked and will be moving you when you check in...I don't think so.

Oh and geesh...remember the days when we didn't have cell phones or emails. You know, lots of people waiting to get on that ship don't have either.

Sorry, things aren't going as planned but some people's entitlement is definitely showing.

And, what would be the purpose of Carnival making the lives miserable for some 6000 disembarking and embarking passengers by not coming into port. Can't figure that one out, myself.

Just curious...does an Airline call you when your flight is delayed or your equipment (airplane) hasn't flown in' date=' do trains alert you if they will be late arriving or departing, does a hotel call you to tell you that they are overbooked and will be moving you when you check in...I don't think so.

Oh and geesh...remember the days when we didn't have cell phones or emails. You know, lots of people waiting to get on that ship don't have either.

Sorry, things aren't going as planned but some people's entitlement is definitely showing.

And, what would be the purpose of Carnival making the lives miserable for some 6000 disembarking and embarking passengers by not coming into port. Can't figure that one out, myself.[/quote']

Actually the airlines do try to alert you.... We don't live back in the day we live now! Some people lack of communication savvy is also showing!

Just curious...does an Airline call you when your flight is delayed or your equipment (airplane) hasn't flown in' date=' do trains alert you if they will be late arriving or departing, does a hotel call you to tell you that they are overbooked and will be moving you when you check in...I don't think so.

And, what would be the purpose of Carnival making the lives miserable for some 6000 disembarking and embarking passengers by not coming into port. Can't figure that one out, myself.[/quote']

Simply put, some people don't like to exist in the dark.

If you feel comfortable being out of the loop when something scheduled is changed, go for it.

The proactive people can make their plan B, and when those waiting in the dark are informed, there are usually no plan B slots available.

Actually the airlines do try to alert you.... We don't live back in the day we live now! Some people lack of communication savvy is also showing!

yyyyyYYYup!

And I never feel bad for those just sitting back waiting. That's exactly what they earn. The wait.

I wonder why a ship can't navigate in a port in the fog, yet can navigate in complete darkness? I'm sure there must be some logical explanation.

At night time you can still see, sure it is dark but once your eyes adjust you can see in the dark. When it's foggy you cannot see what's in front of you (like a bridge or another ship).

At night time you can still see, sure it is dark but once your eyes adjust you can see in the dark. When it's foggy you cannot see what's in front of you (like a bridge or another ship).

Yup. Tell that to the Andre DORIA AND THE STOCKHOLM.

I'm sorry to those of you who are getting a late start, but I would love to be the ones getting the extra hours on the ship. I just hope there are not to many DUIs on their way home:eek: Someone posted on facebook that the drinks are still flowing!

What would happen if you are delayed that long? Do you get to go back to your room for a while?

It's an open forum.... I was referring to your post not you... As you said.... Assume away!

-- Mobile device owners who use their phones for email jumped from 19 percent in 2007 to 50 percent now.
...San Diego Union Tribune Sunday Nov. 26, 2012 CELL PHONES BECOMING A BODY APPENDAGE

fyi...sometimes I do know what I am talking about

50% of those going on the ship probably have no way of receiving email...or am I reading this wrong. And don't tell me that 50% carry other devices rather than phones to access their email while on vacation....that starts to get pretty far-fetched.

Oh, and in 55 years of flying I have never had an airline call or email me the day of my departure to let me know my plane would be late. Maybe the day before to let me know the flight was totally cancelled and to rebook me...but that is another subject, entirely.

...San Diego Union Tribune Sunday Nov. 26' date=' 2012 CELL PHONES BECOMING A BODY APPENDAGE

fyi...sometimes I do know what I am talking about

50% of those going on the ship probably have no way of receiving email...or am I reading this wrong. And don't tell me that 50% carry other devices rather than phones to access their email while on vacation....that starts to get pretty far-fetched.

Oh, and in 55 years of flying I have never had an airline call or email me the day of my departure to let me know my plane would be late. Maybe the day before to let me know the flight was totally cancelled and to rebook me...but that is another subject, entirely.[/quote']

The Amish never know when there is a blackout.

I wonder why a ship can't navigate in a port in the fog, yet can navigate in complete darkness? I'm sure there must be some logical explanation.

Umm - maybe because in darkness you can see lights that you cannot see in fog. :rolleyes:

We were hours delayed for boarding once for sanitizing. They provided snacks and beverages in the waiting lounge at the port and everyone took it in stride. We actually started up a few friendships before we even boarded.

Archived