Carnival Legend DELAYED due to fog

smc0320

Hi there!

Sitting on Carnival Legend right now out in the gulf....nowhere near the bridge....DELAYED due to fog. Guest Servvices estinates 4-hr travel time from where we are right now.....but has no idea when we might start moving.

That's all I know....not sure if I'll be back on with an update or not.

Anyone getting messages from Carnival about today's boarding times?

Happened to me too on return into Tampa. (different ship, and cruiseline), but ended up arriving about 11am. Didnt have a flight that day, so it didnt affect me. But this is one reason that I never book a morning flight on debark day. You live in Florida, so you at least dont have to worry about a flight. Hope you had a great cruise!:)

I wonder why a ship can't navigate in a port in the fog, yet can navigate in complete darkness? I'm sure there must be some logical explanation.

I dont know how logical this is; but Im thinking they dont ever want a repeat accident with the bridge. Just me guessing.

I've worked in import/export so I know how fog can impact ports and the weather has a dense fog advisory until 9 am. I would rather they be safe, but I also would rather wait at hotel or coffee shop than the port itself. We booked a suite so we get priority boarding, but I don't want to sit for hours.

Does carnival usually try to send updated info about what time to arrive?

Better warn him now;) And for those not on CC, they have no clue yet.

Doesn't Carnival "suggest" that someone arrive about 1:30 for a late afternoon departure...so they have until 11:30 Eastern time to notify Pax that ship boarding will be late.

People seem to assume that they can arrive early and get on without a hitch...well it doesn't always happen. Besides, if someone is staying at a good hotel that deals with Cruise clientele the concierge should be knowledgeable about possible delays due to fog, I would think.

Winter travel, though fun, can lead to some unique weather incidents, delays, and upsets it seems.

This is our first cruise, we usually do all inclusive land resorts. We heard mixed reviews about getting to port early vs later. When carnival sent our boarding info a few days ago they advised we arrive at 11 am but had until 3 technically to board.

I didn't think about asking concierge, I will do that when I head to breakfast to see what they have to say. If I knew what time was appropriate to board due to delays we will stick by it. I don't want to wait at the port when I could have lunch somewhere or get a late check out from our hotel. I also don't want to complicate things because I'm sure arriving and departing passengers would create a huge crowd and mess.

We are currently on the Legend and there has been no announcement yet other than we are delayed due to the fog. The port closed at 4am this morning according to the captain. They have opened up the phones and Internet. Also adding activities to help keep folks busy.

We have a 3:20 flight but sounds like we are going to miss it if we are 4 hours out from port.

Just got an email from carnival that the port closed due to fog with no expected eta. Glad they seem to be sending updates so we will just have a nice breakfast and wait it out at hotel.

We booked valet parking online so once we drop our car off we are there for the long haul. I heard there are some things to do at channel side which is walking distance to port. I would rather wait it out in an area other than the port. Give those passengers a chance to get their luggage off the ship and be on their way. I don't know anything about the port area, but I'm sure,some,traffic congestion will occur.

its a weather thing, people. why should that impact ones impression of a cruise....sorry for those who need to fly out (i always plan a much later flight) and expecially for those who are sooooooooooooo ready to get on-board...i know that feeling...and have been delayed an overnight and most of a day because of weather out of tampa...hurrican gordon!

Wondered why the NCL Dawn and another cruise ship are in port and the Legend is not. Possibly the passage under the Sunshine Skyway? Still have not received any further texts from Carnival. Think we will head on down to the port since we have an hour or more to drive. Will have a great cruise whenever we get on the ship! ;)

I know weather is an issue that carnival can't control, I am irritated that we haven't received any update other than an email and text early am. Hubby and I just drove over the sunshine skyway and it was totally fogged in. Areas around we're sunny and nice. The fog is literally sitting right over bridge and port.

I know weather is an issue that carnival can't control, I am irritated that we haven't received any update other than an email and text early am. Hubby and I just drove over the sunshine skyway and it was totally fogged in. Areas around we're sunny and nice. The fog is literally sitting right over bridge and port.

Exactly. Good communication is something they CAN control.

Exactly. Good communication is something they CAN control.

So Carnival should be sending out email updates that say no new update but we will keep you updated. I am sure once the ship is moving and definitely will be able to make it under the bridge and an arrival and subsequent departure time has been determined then a new email will be sent.

Archived