Video of the Helicopter rescue on Liberty of the Seas 6Dec2012

reedl

The sad part is that people seem to WANT to belive the rumors to confirm their opinions of people in general.

That is a very accurate statement. Everybody wants to place the blame solely on the passenger and think that in their own case, they would have done something different. I submit that in this situation 990 times out of 1000 (or even mow) a person who has had an operation and has been cleared to travel would be just fine. It is those once in a lifetime events that change everything.

Look, Here are the facts about this whole incident...

- She had an operation

- She was cleared by her Dr. to cruise

- She had an issue that was totally unexpected

- The ship had to divert to get her to a hospital

- Because of the diversion the ship did not go to Jamaica

- The Coast Guard crew was AMAZING and deserves major kudos.

- The people who donated blood deserve major kudos

- Where she was brought to operated on her and the operation was a success

- She is home and recovering.

That is the outcome that everyone hopes happens.

I am glad that the patient is recovering, and is feeling better.

In response to all that has come out since my posting, I will make an apology to justforkicks as y'all are right in that some of my comments were based on hearsay and not known facts. There were rumors going around from a woman that had gall bladder surgery to a child that got hurt on the island and started losing blood on the toilet. I didn't post until I had the same story over and over about a hysterectomy 2 weeks prior and then riding a zip line. Seemed a little far fetched but when you get so many together in one place, someone is bound to do something stupid. Therefore it certainly seemed plausible. IF the facts were two weeks post hysterectomy, AND someone did ride a zip line, or did any such excursion, I would absolutely stand behind my comments.

No matter how many times you hear something, by way of the grapevine, it doesn't make it true.

It seems I got caught up in the mob mentality this time and let my emotions get the best of me. Two cruises ago, a woman with a known seizure disorder, went on a snorkeling excursion in the Keys and had a seizure in the water after 10-15 minutes and we were not near any shore. We all had to get out and go in. Ruined it for all 50-75 people because she and her boyfriend were selfish. It was her second seizure of the cruise and she had no business going in the water. Our day was completely shot and our money of course was lost.

You redeemed yourself with the apology to Justforkicks but you lost me here. Fact, or once again, something you heard? I'm sorry but just because you were on the same excursion, does not mean you know all the circumstances to justify calling the young lady and her boyfriend selfish. Two posts and both of them calling people inconsiderate and being irritiated about losing money is not making any friends around here. I just hope that you never have any "issue" that causes others to lose money or have their day runined......."there, by the grace of God go I".

No matter how many times you hear something, by way of the grapevine, it doesn't make it true.

You redeemed yourself with the apology to Justforkicks but you lost me here. Fact, or once again, something you heard? I'm sorry but just because you were on the same excursion, does not mean you know all the circumstances to justify calling the young lady and her boyfriend selfish. Two posts and both of them calling people inconsiderate and being irritiated about losing money is not making any friends around here. I just hope that you never have any "issue" that causes others to lose money or have their day runined......."there, by the grace of God go I".

Ok, I was actually there. My wife and I BOTH treated her and dealt with her a**hole boyfriend. We helped get her out of the water, examined her, took vitals and monitored her for the 45 minute ride back to the shore. He actually threatened us and the boat crew! He said "I've slugged people before and I'll do it again." He being her boyfriend, with no power of medical power of attorney in hand, had no right at all to refuse treatment for her. She was unconscious and needed assistance. An unconscious person gives "implied consent". A SPOUSE can dictate otherwise. A boyfriend cannot. Us being passengers could only offer our assistance and try to convince him to get her seen by the doctor or medical help at the pier, but he said no. "She is on disability and she only gets 6 visits per year to a doctor and I'm not burning one here cause it will come out of my pocket". Glad he isn't making medical decisions for me based on his wallet!

No hearsay, just 1st person account here. I, along with the boat crew, were ready to do that woman a favor and throw his butt overboard.

I don't recall complaining that I personally lost money because of the issue on the LOS, just the situation as I stated above. In fact, I saved money by not going to Jamaica! ;)

Theween, if you notice that I put in red 2nd seizure. Were you there for the first or did you just hear it was her second?

If you weren't complaining on some level about inconveniencing people or some losing money, then why mention it?

It was unfortunate that her boyfriend was such an idiot and good for her that you were able to help.:)

Theween, if you notice that I put in red 2nd seizure. Were you there for the first or did you just hear it was her second?

If you weren't complaining on some level about inconveniencing people or some losing money, then why mention it?

It was unfortunate that her boyfriend was such an idiot and good for her that you were able to help.:)

The boyfriend said it was the second one. Said she has them on average of at least once a week. Again, a fact, not hearsay.MY POINT WAS, I've been burned before because of the stupidity of another so I guess that's why I was quick to rush to judgement here. Now before anyone flames me on that last statement, I recognize that that IS MY ISSUE and not the fault of anyone else. I was wrong and I'm trying to give Insite as to why, and move on. I'm sure many people rushed to judgement on my personality based on my first post ;-). Not a bad person, just have a bad case of cranial rectal inversion at times. I'll let you google that one, lol.

Peace...............Please.............

This all started as a nice site which now is not going as well..............

Peace be with you.......and thanks to all who save lives and risk theirs..............

I agree. I think we can put this issue to rest.

May we all have a safe, happy and health new year and be thankful for all that we have.

Safe travels to all and to those who serve, thank you and god bless.

Thank you very much reed1 for your video documentary.

And of course my utmost admiration goes to the CG guys, risking their lives to help other!

I have worked in TV before, and I am a stickler for good video quality. I am tired of the youtube videos where you might see something useful for a few seconds and the camera moves wildly around. My other biggie is terrible audio. Wind noise drives me crazy.

The reason I taped this was simply because I was in the right place at the right time. I had a perfect vantage point to see everything that was happening.

The Coast Guard was amazing. That is not in dispute.

does the ships doctor transfusion whole fresh blood? without screening? This must have been a pretty serious situation.

I think only from people that have current blood donor cards. (of course, health status could change)

Thanks for the video. They are really practiced at this, and it seemed to go smoothly. I can see that due to the wind, a landing may have been dangerous. The Coast Guard used to have amphibious helicopters, and practice was to land on the water when necessary for rescue. They realize that hovering was much safer, and it's best to keep the helicopter away from the ocean or any other objects.

Aqua, just how far will the USCG go in making these pickups? I would assume that as you approach Mexico or happen to be South of Hispaniola that you are basically stuck utilizing whatever is the closest air station for picking you up and, as a result, are stuck with the bill for those flights. Any inside info you can share?

On a related note, I knew you were USCG! Been debating that in my head for years. (Other thought was FBI but the Keys address screamed Coast Guard)

Archived