Would you buy the new drink package?

Kenlorz

Would/will you buy the new Drink Package?  

495 members have voted

1. 1. Would/will you buy the new Drink Package?

• Yes! In a heart beat!
    • Only if they start including juices, waters & coffees
    • No, I don't purchase enough drinks to warrant it
    • No, I don't drink

It depends how much each of those items cost... with a mixed drink being $8-10 each that's $24-30 right there, then add in two glasses of wine for another $12-$15? You're gettng pretty close to the daily total at that point. If you drink soda (like I do) add in even more cost. My husband doesn't like wine or beer so he would be getting all mixed drinks.

I was looking at the pricing for the wine packages for my upcoming 10 night transatlantic. I would get a 5 bottle Platinum Package for $145 which would be $14.50 per day. Add to that two mixed drinks, probably a gin and tonic, for about $7.00 each, and I'd be spending less than $30 a day on drinks. I drink water from the faucet and never any soda or juice except OJ with breakfast, and if I order room service breakfast which I usually do I ask for 2 glasses of OJ, one for breakfast and one for later in the day.

Now, with the ability to take 2 bottles of wine onboard, I might not get a wine package at all but simply order a glass or two each night at dinner.

For $55 per person per day you can get unlimited beer, wine and mixed drinks under a certain a price.

For $45 per person per day you can get unlimited beer and wine under a certain price.

So... What's the going rate for a beer, wine, or mixed drink? How much drinking is really "required" to break even here?

It depends how much each of those items cost... with a mixed drink being $8-10 each that's $24-30 right there, then add in two glasses of wine for another $12-$15? You're gettng pretty close to the daily total at that point. If you drink soda (like I do) add in even more cost. My husband doesn't like wine or beer so he would be getting all mixed drinks.

House wine is only $7-$8 a glass. My understanding is you have to order the house wine.

I would probably do it – really it wouldn’t be hard to get up to 10 beers in a day. I’ve purchased a couple of buckets before in one day. Start with a cocktail and end with one. I’m on vacation and not driving! I also wish it included water, not a big coffee drinker so that wouldn’t make a difference unless it had Baileys in it & in that case it should be included in the drink package.

I agree - it seems like a lot for both people of drinking age to puruchase it - but my crusing buddy drinks as much as I do. :p As long as they do not make any children have to get the soda package...

my 2 cents

I'm with you

on this one......start early and end late!!!!

Im all on board with you guys (we are young) and when I'm on vacation its party time!!! live it up on vacation!!

Question..........is this only being offered on 7 night+ cruises? I am booked on LOS for a b2b but thats a 4 night and a 5 night so Id like to know because I might switch iteneraries

I am not able to drink and am planning on getting a letter from my physician stating that due to my medical conditions I am unable to consume alcoholic beverages. If this allows us to just purchase for my husband who does drink, he would probably purchase it.

Because we cruise in the Caribbean and are in the heat on deck often, he ends up drinking watered down beverages because he has paid for them. Having the drink package, however, he would probably end up purchasing more drinks so he did not have to consume the watered down version.

In addition, he also enjoys a drink while gambling and would probably consume more knowing that he has paid a flat rate and does not have to worry about the cost of each and every beverage.

Could you ask for a "virgin" ginger and scotch and get just the soda with a card? Just curious.

We have purchased a package on Celebrity ever since the packages have been offered and never regretted or second guessed the purchase.

We will definitely purchase for our Cruise on Freedom in October. We just like to have the trip paid in full going in, no surprises on the last night. It's our preference is all, no excess drinking to make it "worth it", it is just comforting to us to know all it is paid for. If you don't want it, no worries, don't buy it, we are just happy to have the option, thank you Royal Caribbean!! You will definitely see us more often!!

I would, not sure it would save me money but I would probably break even if both of us have to buy it. I can do ten cocktails if starting with bloody marys at first light before dinner and add 4-5 after dinner then it's probably a good deal for me. However, the DW can't keep up with my pace, but would still come close. I think I would probably purchase it. So if it doesn't include coffee how about Irish?

Will be Boarding Allure on Sunday and will Definitely get the Package. Who knows if We will break even, the all-inclusive aspect does it for me. We have paid big money to go to all-inclusive resorts and loved the prepaid, never have to worry about a bill aspect. I will by no means be trying to chase or even calculate my break even point, just like the fact I pay the money up front and that's my bar bill regardless of what I drink.

Will be Boarding Allure on Sunday and will Definitely get the Package. Who knows if We will break even, the all-inclusive aspect does it for me. We have paid big money to go to all-inclusive resorts and loved the prepaid, never have to worry about a bill aspect. I will by no means be trying to chase or even calculate my break even point, just like the fact I pay the money up front and that's my bar bill regardless of what I drink.

Can you please report back with any new details? Now that RCCL has announced the package, I'm curious to know if any changes have been made. I'm also very curious if they give you the cup that works the freestyle machines. Also very curious to know what liquors & drinks they deny on the package (ie..what is considered specialty liquors) & what wines they are including...

I guess you can say I'm very curious :D:D:D

Can you please report back with any new details? Now that RCCL has announced the package, I'm curious to know if any changes have been made. I'm also very curious if they give you the cup that works the freestyle machines. Also very curious to know what liquors & drinks they deny on the package (ie..what is considered specialty liquors) & what wines they are including...

I guess you can say I'm very curious :D:D:D

HAHA NO Problems- I will report back with the In's and out's...

My reason for not going with the alcohol or beer package would be that I enjoy getting a bucket of beer and taking it back to my balcony and enjoying it while reading a book in the privacy of my own balcony. It is my understanding that with these packages, you can only get one drink at a time, which would definitely not work for me! If they would allow me to purchase a bucket on the package, and also bottled water, juice, and soda, then I would definitely buy it.

John

If the drink package is being offered on only 13 ships, does anyone know which ships? We leave in March on the Independence and will definitely want the drink package. That way we don't have to worry about our bill and pay up front.

There is a few threads going on right now about the RCCL drink package. In what I have read it seems consistent that the $55 charge for the premium package includes the 15% gratuity. There are many comparisons being made to the Celebrity package. They are not quite the same in what they include but they are also not the same in price. I paid $54 PLUS 15% gratuity earlier this year on Celebrity. This package is actually $47.83 PLUS 15% gratuity. (I think there is room left for some bottled water or a special coffee) Keep in mind when adding up how much you drink per day to see if this package works for you that the prices off the menu’s don’t include the 15% gratuity. I enjoy a variety of drinks and I also like to try different drinks. This package makes this easier to do and not worry about the price and what your bill will add up to at the end of the cruise. A mimosa for breakfast, 2-3 beers during the day, a martini before dinner, a glass of wine during dinner and a cocktail or 2 at the show. This should easily take care of the $47.83. I am on holidays and I fully plan on enjoying myself. And NO I will not be hung over in the morning nor do I think you are an alcoholic to get your money’s worth out of this package. Ultimately this is all about choices. If you drink 2-3 drinks a day than this is not for you. If you drink approx. 6 or more drinks a day than this package should be considered. Cheers and enjoy!

Both my wife and I like wine with our dinner, and if the only wine available in the package is the house wine, then there will not be an incentive for us buy it. The reviews I've seen on the house wine are not good (Le Terrible has been a common adjective).

For a few dollars more, we purchased the package on Celebrity and were quite satisfied with it. It included waters, juice, coffees and wine up to, I think, $10 a glass. It costs a little more, but well worth it.

I would definitely buy it, if they would reconsider the wine.

In a nutshell...

The beer package is $45 pp pd and includes all beers $6.25 and under, as well as soda from a gun (no soda cup for the Coke Freestyle machines)

The premium package is $55 pp pd and includes gun sodas (no soda cup), house wines by the glass (still no list of what's considered a house wine), beers up to $6.25 and bar drinks (specialty liquors not included... still no list on what's considered a specialty liquor. There's been inconsistency in what drinks are allowed & not allowed from bar to bar).

Neither package includes bottled waters, juices, specialty coffees, room service, canned sodas or mini bar items. Celebrity offers almost the same packages, but their's do include the waters, juices & coffees.

Also, there has been consistent reports that if someone buys the package, all ppl of drinking age in a cabin must buy the package.

Scan0001.jpg

I love the idea of the package I just can't see us spending that much on alcohol. I mean, that's almost $1000 worth of booze on our 9 day cruise! I would be doing nothing but drinking and sleeping off hangovers! There has got to be a better way for those of us who actually want to remember some of our cruise. Maybe a punch card or something where you buy a certain number of drinks at a discounted price? IDK but as it stands, we will not be buying the unlimited package.

I hate to say this because I like to drink....but it is a lot of Money...but because we are D+.....I drink more then 55.00 in the 3.5 hours of Happy Hour in the CL. Just got off the Mariner OTS TA a few weeks ago and I can not tell you how many Chocolate Martini's were consumed. More sea days the better for the price. As long as we can remain D+ and get the benifit of free Booze..Yes, we TIP very heavy at the end of the cruise...We will pass on this deal.

Mike

When at the Martini Bar On Solstice try Christiania Vodka, if you haven't before it is excellent

We will be sailing Celebrity in May for Alaska. In

prep for the cruise, we kept careful records of our consumption on our last cruise to see if it would be worth it for us to purchase on the cruise. I have to say, initially, we thought this would be a good way to go. However, after looking over our account from a week ago, coupled with the ability to carry wine onboard, we would be in a loss position than if we just purchased the drinks. Now, if we could not carry the wine, the math would have worked out differently.

Needless to say, it is close. The one other item we are weighing is the presence of a martini bar on Solstice - so we may end up with the package afterall. Now for our future RCCL cruises, will need to think about it.

PS Obviously, you can see we are all over the map on this. Started out with a no, but at the end of the post, started to make the case to purchase.:rolleyes::rolleyes:[/quote

Does any.one know the price of bottled beer on the RC ships - particularly Bud Lite preferably in the metal bottles.

Just wondering if these are under $6.25 and qualify for the drinks package.

Thank you

Just got off the Liberty Of The Seas this past Thursday. Bud Light is served in 16 ounce aluminum bottles and is $5.25, so it would be covered by the package.

Archived