Would you buy the new drink package?

Kenlorz

Would/will you buy the new Drink Package?  

495 members have voted

1. 1. Would/will you buy the new Drink Package?

• Yes! In a heart beat!
    • Only if they start including juices, waters & coffees
    • No, I don't purchase enough drinks to warrant it
    • No, I don't drink

I'm still debating about the new drink packages RCCL just rolled out. I really want to like these packages, but with the absence of the chipped soda cup, bottled juices, water bottles and specialty coffees, I just can't convince myself it will come even close to being worth it. Would/will/did you buy the package? I'm also really curious about what drinks have been denied on the package, so far.

We're on the Allure next July and it's highly unlikely that we'd go for drinks package as it's currently offered. Don't get me wrong - we love a few drinks on holiday but this package is not good value if it excludes bottled waters, fizzy drinks and decent coffees. On days at sea we like to sunbathe and drink loads of water or diet cola while on deck - we drink very little alcohol during the day when it's hot. On our way back to our cabin in the late afternoon I like to pick up a couple of coffees on our walk. The evening time is different - I like a couple of beers, a wine or two and maybe a cocktail, quite often less than that. My husband has beer and then one or two spiced rums with coke. Paying $55 per day PLUS a 15% gratuity would mean us having to force alcohol down during the day whether we want it or not to make it worth our while!

The exact words that came to mind when i saw this poll was "No, I don't purchase enough drinks to warrant it" so that's the option i went for :D

Would rather just limit what i drink than force down 8 drinks a day that i wouldn't normally drink and probably make myself ill in the process!!

I guess it would have to be no , yes I would but my wife doesnt drink and NO way I buy it for 2 . I hate the fact they make 2 people buy it, yea yea I know people would abuse it but not everyone drinks but I would enjoy the freedom of one price.

No, thank you. We don't drink alcohol so it definitely would be of no benefit to us. Wish they had rolled out similar ones to Celebrity that included bottled water, non-alcoholic specialty drinks, and coffees. Guess we will just get our soda card :p

We are seasoned drinkers, but still think its too high.

we have been known to start a sea day off with mimosa's and continue on with beer in the afternoon, and then cocktails in the evening, still would not be able to justify the per day cost.

We will be sailing Celebrity in May for Alaska. In prep for the cruise, we kept careful records of our consumption on our last cruise to see if it would be worth it for us to purchase on the cruise. I have to say, initially, we thought this would be a good way to go. However, after looking over our account from a week ago, coupled with the ability to carry wine onboard, we would be in a loss position than if we just purchased the drinks. Now, if we could not carry the wine, the math would have worked out differently.

Needless to say, it is close. The one other item we are weighing is the presence of a martini bar on Solstice - so we may end up with the package afterall. Now for our future RCCL cruises, will need to think about it.

PS Obviously, you can see we are all over the map on this. Started out with a no, but at the end of the post, started to make the case to purchase.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

We are sailing soon and I searched RLC website for drink packages and found nothing other then water or soda or juice or wine packages.

I don't think it has come out company wide completely. We were on Navigator for the Dec. 1st sailing and it was the first week it was offered on that ship.They would have to do better with the package. It's as expensive as Celebrity but offers less. Once they at least equal Celebrity's package we may consider it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

. I hate the fact they make 2 people buy it, yea yea I know people would abuse it but not everyone drinks but I would enjoy the freedom of one price.

This is a big hang up for me. On a 7 day cruise, I'm likely to buy 3-4 drinks. If it was more affordable I might consider if and have a drink or two after diner every night or a beer by the pool, but I don't like the forced part of it. What about families that book 2 rooms and have to keep one adult in each cabin? Maybe they could get away with one drink package? I stopped shopping at a local department store years back because of their anti-shop lifting practices. I recognize what a huge problem shoplifting is, but I refuse to be treated like a criminal.

I have two Royal Caribbean cruises booked for next year but can't access my reservations right now. Can someone tell me the new drink package in a nutshell?

Thanks.

In a nutshell...

The beer package is $45 pp pd and includes all beers $6.25 and under, as well as soda from a gun (no soda cup for the Coke Freestyle machines)

The premium package is $55 pp pd and includes gun sodas (no soda cup), house wines by the glass (still no list of what's considered a house wine), beers up to $6.25 and bar drinks (specialty liquors not included... still no list on what's considered a specialty liquor. There's been inconsistency in what drinks are allowed & not allowed from bar to bar).

Neither package includes bottled waters, juices, specialty coffees, room service, canned sodas or mini bar items. Celebrity offers almost the same packages, but their's do include the waters, juices & coffees.

Also, there has been consistent reports that if someone buys the package, all ppl of drinking age in a cabin must buy the package.

I have two Royal Caribbean cruises booked for next year but can't access my reservations right now. Can someone tell me the new drink package in a nutshell?

Thanks.

For $55 per person per day you can get unlimited beer, wine and mixed drinks under a certain a price.

For $45 per person per day you can get unlimited beer and wine under a certain price.

All passengers 21 or over in a cabin need to purchase the package if anyone does. There seems to have been a lot of "sharing" with the initial package so this is to alleviate that. There are exceptions to that.

As for us I did not respond to the poll because I am really not sure if we would purchase it or not. It depends on the itinerary and who is cruising. If we are going as a family (with the kids) probably would not get it, but if it was just DH and I and there were not a lot of ports would definitely consider it. DH would get his $$ out of it, me maybe not so much.

It will be very interesting to see how popular this becomes in the future once people have had a chance to "see it in action".

ETA - see Kenlorz responded as I did with a much better (more definitive) answer!

Thanks for information about what the package is and how much it costs.

My question which is probably incredibly naive: Does anyone really drink that much on a cruise? $55 would mean you'd have to drink way more mixed drinks or wine that I could imagine - again maybe I'm naive.

I ususally have 2 glasses of wine with dinner and perhaps 2 or 3 mixed drinks during the day but no more. Never drink soda. So guess I'm better off with a wine package and paying for my gin and tonics one by one.

Thanks for information about what the package is and how much it costs.

My question which is probably incredibly naive: Does anyone really drink that much on a cruise? $55 would mean you'd have to drink way more mixed drinks or wine that I could imagine - again maybe I'm naive.

I ususally have 2 glasses of wine with dinner and perhaps 2 or 3 mixed drinks during the day but no more. Never drink soda. So guess I'm better off with a wine package and paying for my gin and tonics one by one.

It depends how much each of those items cost... with a mixed drink being $8-10 each that's $24-30 right there, then add in two glasses of wine for another $12-$15? You're gettng pretty close to the daily total at that point. If you drink soda (like I do) add in even more cost. My husband doesn't like wine or beer so he would be getting all mixed drinks.

Archived