Where to stay in Buenos Aires

wailea4me

We need a hotel for 2 nights in Buenos Aires prior to our cruise departing. Where is a good location to stay in the city? Convenient location for touring, restaurants, tango clubs, etc.

Recoleta and Palermo Soho/Hollywood are the two most popular neighborhoods. Most of the large chain hotels (Sheraton, Marriott, Hilton, Holiday Inn Express) are in the downtown/Puerto Madero area. This area, while ok for tourists, is better suited for business travel. Recoleta and Palermo are much livelier neighborhoods.

Some tourists wind up in San Telmo, which has lots of character but is too bohemian for most. There are also a few hotels in nearby Monserratt, but it is even more down on its heels and darker at night than San Telmo.

Adventurers find their way out to Boedo, a very authentic neighborhood that is relatively unspoiled by tourism.

You might check on Trip Advisor under hotels or on the Buenos Aires forum for more information.

We need a hotel for 2 nights in Buenos Aires prior to our cruise departing. Where is a good location to stay in the city? Convenient location for touring, restaurants, tango clubs, etc.

I would not be overly concerned about exact location. Anywhere in Palermo or Recoleta is fine and there lots of 3 star properties that should not run more than US 150 per night, especially if you can buy pesos on the informal market (@ 6.3 to the US $) and pay your bill with those pesos instead of paying with a credit card for which you will only get 4.8 pesos per dollar.

As mention, check the hotels section of tripadvisor for BA. Off the top of my head, Dazzler, Ayres, Howard Johnson, Arts, Bobo, Home all have good reps.

• 2 weeks later...

I stayed at the Melia Recoleta plaza hotel, when I did my Cape Horn cruise. The rooms were very nice and large. The area was lovely, very close to a nice shopping malls, as well as parks. The staff was also helpful. There are larger chain hotels in the area, but I prefer smaller boutique hotels. If you look for this hotel on a map, any in the same vicinity would be very nice.

We stayed at the Hotel Wilton in the Recoleta district. Very reasonable rates, a cold breakfast and clean rooms with good service. The room was not very large, but more than adequate. There are plenty of restaurants around. It's on a main street.

The staff was very helpful with getting cabs, etc. They didn't even charge me for the WiFi.

We had booked a tour through Viator and the bus had no trouble finding us to pick us up.

Trip Advisor and the CC ports board both had good reviews. Our Cape Horn cruise was January 2, 2012. We stayed at the Wilton from December 30 for 3 nights.

Archived