Key West w/ teens

hlb76

We are heading to KW for the first time in Feb. I'm excited to finally get there. We are traveling as a family with teenage boys. Think we are scheduled to be in port from 12-8pm or something like that. I need ideas on what to do. If we went w/o the kids I would love to take in some of the local bars just to say " I've been there" but we have the kids. i'm not sure if the history stuff will really be up my kids alley either.

any info, tips, suggestions about all things KW are greatly appericated!

We are heading to KW for the first time in Feb. I'm excited to finally get there. We are traveling as a family with teenage boys. Think we are scheduled to be in port from 12-8pm or something like that. I need ideas on what to do. If we went w/o the kids I would love to take in some of the local bars just to say " I've been there" but we have the kids. i'm not sure if the history stuff will really be up my kids alley either.

See if they are "UP" for any of these...

1. The views from the Wrecker's Museum's tower, especially back towards the ship http://www.keywestshipwreck.com/

2. The view from the top of the lighthouse http://www.kwahs.com/lighthouse.htm

3. The view from the tower bar at Turtle Kraals at the Bight http://www.turtlekraals.com/page11/page11.html

4. Then the view of the ocean while having lunch at the beach-side bare at the Pier House, 1 Duval Street http://www.pierhouse.com/Dining/beach_bar.asp

Pjk

As gapeach said, some of the bars are a little more family friendly during the day. Sloppy Joes will have some sort of live entertainment, probably a guy with a guitar, and will be set up as an open air bar/restaurant. The atmosphere is just fine for teens.

Right across the street, the Tree Bar is good for people watching, and the facility in which it is located has a pizza stand and a few arcade games.

Down a block is a Hard Rock Cafe, a Fat Tuesday, and several other open air bars/restaurants. Just take a walk down Duval. As mentioned, most are family family in the daylight. :)

I recommend Fury parasailing; about $40/person - located at the same dock as the cruise ships. It was our first time and we would gladly do it again. We did two people at a time: Mom & 12 yr. old and 25 yr. old & 14 yr. old.

We also bought the $20 photo cd from them; got about 150 photos of all 4 of us. Well worth it!

When you are in the sky it is so quiet and the water is so pretty! We requested our toes dipped; great experience!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355919898.100641.jpg.7008922849acbeb64279e39ef252bb3a.jpg

Your teens might enjoy the Butterfly Conservatory. They might like a daytime sail on one of the sailing schooners. Some will allow the teens to help raise and lower the sails. They might like climbing the circular Key West lighthouse stairs. There used to be a daytime ghost tour. I'm not sure there is still one during the day.

The Eco-Discovery Museum is free and specializes in coastal displays of seashore and near seashore animals. When I was a teen I would have really enjoyed the Conch Train ride, but I don't know about todays' teens.

They might enjoy lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe on Duval or for Cuban food, El Meson de Pepe near Mallory Square.

• 2 months later...

I will also be with teens and was thinking of the Ecology museum then next door to the Coast Guard Cutter. Can anyone review them for me please? How much time should we spend at each place? Is there snorkling off the beach along the City trolley route?

Thanks

I will also be with teens and was thinking of the Ecology museum then next door to the Coast Guard Cutter. Can anyone review them for me please? How much time should we spend at each place? Is there snorkling off the beach along the City trolley route?

Thanks

The cutter tour is self-guided. Expect to spend at least an hour there. They did a great job restoring the ship and it is a great tour. The ecology museum is very short. There isn't much to see there, so it is likely you will be in and out in under 30 minutes.

The beaches aren't really great for snorkling. You can do it, but you won't see much.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
We just took 4 teens , 3 kids, and 7 adults on a shark feeding tour. Plus, we saw a dolphin

It was amazing!

The teens loved it.

http://www.kwextremeadventures.com/

ETA: We paid extra and had the entire boat for our party of 14.

I'm interested in this excursion for our family of 4 including our sons 14 and 6. I've really kind of been at a loss for what to do in Key West. We'll be snorkling at Deadman's reef in Freeport and either Atlantis or a beach day at the Sheraton in Nassau. There's not a lot of information on this shark tour excursion on these boards however reviews were good on trip advisor. I figure the boys would love to get out on the ocean in a boat. Do you think you would have liked the experience as much if you hadn't booked it privately for your group? Also was it easy to access transportation from ship to tour site. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Also was it easy to access transportation from ship to tour site. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I have not been on the excursion; but will tell you that those folks run a good business and have been around quite some time.

You will not need transportation as the excursion leaves from the Westin pier which is where the Magic will dock.

Mike:)

we walked down to the southernmost point and then walked back up duval st....my 16 yr old had to go to a place that sold a 1/4 pound hotdog that is wrapped in bacon and deep fried......we are going back this july and he wants to it the same place again

I'm interested in this excursion for our family of 4 including our sons 14 and 6. I've really kind of been at a loss for what to do in Key West. We'll be snorkling at Deadman's reef in Freeport and either Atlantis or a beach day at the Sheraton in Nassau. There's not a lot of information on this shark tour excursion on these boards however reviews were good on trip advisor. I figure the boys would love to get out on the ocean in a boat. Do you think you would have liked the experience as much if you hadn't booked it privately for your group? Also was it easy to access transportation from ship to tour site. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

It was very cool seeing the sharks. We saw about 10- 8 to 10 feet sharks. They were swimming all around the boat and under it.

I found the reviews on Trip advisors. We wanted to try something new. Since we had the boat to ourselves, we could move around more. I would highly recommend it.

ETA: It was the only thing that my 14 yr old son took pictures of the entire cruise. He made a video and posted to youtube for his friends. My niece and nephew (6) were amazed by the boat, sharks, and dolphin. It was the best day of our trip.

The tour leaves from Pier B by the Westin. We were docked at Outer Mole. We took the free bus from the ship to town and walked a few blocks.

Thanks for the input guys. Seems like a pretty great excursion. Emailed this morning and already heard back and confirmed for the shark tour while in Key West. The boys are going to just love it 6 and 14!

Thanks for the input guys. Seems like a pretty great excursion. Emailed this morning and already heard back and confirmed for the shark tour while in Key West. The boys are going to just love it 6 and 14!

They are going to love it! My parents wished that we would of stayed on the boat all day.

Archived