Review: Carnival Breeze 12/2 Exotic Eastern Caribbean

JennN

We were SO glad to hear the anchor the next morning and were relieved to be docking! However, it took about 90 minutes post docking time (supposed to be in Nassau at 8a and we weren't allowed off the ship until almost 9:30a). The line was super long to get off the ship - I've never been one to wait on an unnecessary line but we were late getting to shore!

I will preface this part of the trip by saying we've been to the Bahamas before on our first cruise. We didn't book an excursion that time and had a horrible experience. This time? We booked the Dolphin Cay dive (deep) and that gave us access to the entire water park, pool and beach at Atlantis. I lost 30 pounds in the year prior (we had 479 days to plan after all!) and the gift was to swim with the dolphins without breaking them!

The cluster of getting our bracelets and getting in line was so disorganized. I feel like a 5 year old sometimes with this and the excursions never seem to be organized at first. This was no exception. We finally get walked to a bus and I always forget that it's such a long walk from the ship through port! We did notice that despite having an 8:30 excursion time, our swim time wasn't until 11:30. That kinda sucked because by the time the "tour" was over, we had an hour. Which isn't really enough time to do much. So we hopped in the "lazyish river" and went for a ride. It was fun but a bit dangerous. (your legs and feet slam into the walls without warning). Since we went around in 20 minutes and still had 40 left, we decided to go around again and try the water coaster.

I, of course, get hurt. Went up the conveyer belt and into the line for the water coaster, go up the belt again, down the first drop and before going up and into the tunnel, I was about to flip over so I stuck my foot out, it slammed on the metal entrance to the tunnel and I cry immediately. I get through the coaster and can't even get off because I've still got 1/2 the river to go through. I tried to ask a lifeguard for help but they didn't pay attention to me. We got to the first "outlet" area and I really thought I broke my heel. I've never had something bruise so darkly and immediately!

2e1sr5t.jpg

It was no joke! But I sucked it up and hobbled, late, to the Dolphin Cay. BEST EXPERIENCE EVER! We had so much time with Palmer, our dolphin. She was soooo sweet. The trainers were great and the only small complaint (aside from having to wear a wetsuit) is that the water is a bit, well, gross (algae and such floating). And I always feel a bit bad for the dolphins when I see things like this but it was a BLAST to do. We had a good 30 minutes with the dolphins. Palmer was our picture dolphin and after, she and the others swam with us in the "deep" water swim. One of the best moments of my life!

After meeting Palmer (we were in a group of 6 with the one dolphin), feeding her some fish, doing a dance and a kiss photo with her, she used her nose and while on a surfboard, propelled us through the water to the other side. I swear she knew my left foot was injured (just had survery in August), tried my right foot and knew that hurt, went back to the left, decided no and used the right (fresh heel injury). She found the right spot that didn't hurt and it was amazing! This was totally worth the money we spent!

190113_10152324384080015_1446652641_n.jpg

We had about 2 hours before having to get back to the ship and met up with my MIL to explore the grounds (though I was in a ton of pain!). We hit the beach first because I needed to get into the Caribbean!

3464_10152315140370015_209281363_n.jpg

We spent about 45 minutes minutes at the beach, about 30 cleaning off (it was super salty!) in the shower and drying by the pool listening to an awesome DJ and then it took me, with hop-a-long ability, about 30 minutes to get to a taxi (we didn't want to wait for the free ride back). We waited 10 minutes for the taxi to fill (this annoys me) and headed back to port and I hobbled around to find my MIL souvenirs. By the time we got through customs, I was crying again and took a free van to the ship. It was awesome! Although, I didn't know if it was really free or what but at that point, I didn't care.

We got back on the ship at 4p and bid a fond farewell to a great time in the Bahamas!

530405_10152315179755015_1685126866_n.jpg

We went to dinner that night, sad to be attending our last dinner on the cruise but had a great meal and time.

27903_10152324412425015_1336856369_n.jpg

We packed in a mad dash to get our luggage out the door by 10:30p that evening...including the 4 bottles of rum purchased in Jamaica (which I am enjoying now!).

Sadly, they are always on time to get into port for the end of the cruise and so we woke up at 7:00 to get to breakfast only I misplaced my S&S card (despite checking for it 9,000 times). I found it in my backpack when I got home but had to go down to guest services and get a new one - which was, no pun intended, a Breeze! We also hit the deck and found a hundred towel animals on the chairs on Lido! It was so much fun!!!

155910_10152315137765015_1812112253_n.jpg

We were in group 8 and my MIL in group 23 so we ate breakfast and went into the Ovation Theatre to wait. They were setting up the champagne bottle for the ship naming ceremony that day and so we waited for Mr. John Heald himself and sure enough, he appeared! It was nice to be able to thank him in person - he knew our names and seemed relieved to have the issue be resolved. I was so happy to meet him and spend a few minutes with Butch as well to thank him for his great CDing (thought I am still bitter about the Hasbro game!). We went to the Blue Iguana party one of the sea nights and had a blast dancing the night away (talk about a workout! Butch can cut a rug!!

Debarking was an easy process - we got our luggage right away and off we went back to Miami (we stayed at the Mutiny Hotel and wound up getting a refund from a certain "pay low price" hotel site because it was so bad) and then back home to DC.

On a scale of 1-10 in the review Carnival sent us to take online, we gave it an 8 overall. We missed a port and had 2 days of bad food and a damper on one of our excursions by bad staff but overall and looking at the big picture, we'd do it again. We're actually taking my MIL on a cruise for her 60th birthday in April (we will become Gold members in the new VIFP on this cruise) - back on the Valor for a busy Caribbean cruise and then in October we will take a European cruise on the new Sunshine.

Thanks for reading the review and I am happy to answer any questions you may have!

My girlfriend/life partner and myself sailed one week before you! Too bad we missed each other. The friends of dorothy meetings on our sailing had zero people show up to them which was a bit sad as we always like to connect with other gay people when we sail. We made lots of straight friends this time though which is still awesome. :-)

We're doing a review right now as well and we did one last year on our Dream cruise. CC has been so open minded and welcoming. We have over 150,000 views on our Dream cruise and not one negative comment.

And as for the passengers on board the ships, nobody has acted like it bothers them in recent years. :)

Silver - thanks! The heel is healing...luckily I am in PT for the surgery foot so when they ice that one, they ice my heel too. The bruise is slowly fading but it did put a damper on things. Thank goodness I always pack an "Emergency" bag that contains everything you can think of: Dramamine, ibuprofen, bandages, heat patches, tiger balm, OTC sleep pills, neosporin, etc. So I was able to relieve some of the pain and since our steward kept my champagne on ice, I had that too ;)

ItalianFemmy - I will admit, we don't go to the Friends of Dorothy meetings. I wanted to this cruise but I was always somewhere else! Sadly, we never really make "friends" with anyone on the cruise. I mean, I am friendly enough and start talking and chatting others up but save one cruise (when it happened to be another gay-boy couple), we've never met people we kept in touch with on the ship or thereafter. I look forward to reading your review (and I did read yours about the Dream!).

Thanks for you great review and pictures. We have been on 4 cruises. Two with Carnival and two with NCL. I find the cruise industry to be "gay friendly". However, the ports especially Jamaica to be terribly homophobic. I admire your bravery at even getting off the ship in Jamaica. Could have been a life threatening experience literally. A real shame that you had to "play friends" while you were in port but it looks like you had a great time. I am happy to hear that JH helped turn your experience on the cruise around. Keep on cruising! -Kim:D

Thanks ripjerry - yes we debated not leaving at all but trusted that doing a shore excursion with Carnival would prove "more safe" than nothing else. We won't do that port ever again!

We are thankful for JH and glad it turned around. We aren't terribly picky or uppity people but enough was enough!

Hello!!!!!!!! I know thats right!! NO shame here.. And I still getting plenty of Blessings... Travel on Gambee:D

Familyyyyy....we need to get together and shut a cruise down!!! lol.....:p Loving the review, I'll be on the Breeze on March 16th and the Liberty again on 10/5 (Birthday Cruise!!!) It'll be great to meet some of y'all.

Thanks for the review! I'm loving reading all the Breeze reviews popping up at once. :D

Question- besides your food taking a long time to get to you, what did you think of the Punchliner Brunch? I don't think I've read anything good about it yet. It seems service is slow and the comedian only tells jokes for 10 minutes. Maybe it's because it's pretty new and they're still working the kinks out. Is it even worth attending?

I've read many stories about local gay men and women in Jamaica being abused, attacked, even killed. I don't blame you for being cautious. I'm glad y'all still had a good time.

And your foot- OUCH! :eek:

Familyyyyy....we need to get together and shut a cruise down!!! lol.....:p Loving the review, I'll be on the Breeze on March 16th and the Liberty again on 10/5 (Birthday Cruise!!!) It'll be great to meet some of y'all.

Heeeeeeeeey I know thats right!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just shut it down.. llol I cant wait to read your review, and see Ur pix..

Heeeeey Boo.. now that is SOOOOOOO awful!!! I will let yall knw after the Wedding how it went again.. But we have Never had problem like I said.. I guess U just cant call it...

Thanks for the review! I'm loving reading all the Breeze reviews popping up at once. :D

Question- besides your food taking a long time to get to you, what did you think of the Punchliner Brunch? I don't think I've read anything good about it yet. It seems service is slow and the comedian only tells jokes for 10 minutes. Maybe it's because it's pretty new and they're still working the kinks out. Is it even worth attending?

I've read many stories about local gay men and women in Jamaica being abused, attacked, even killed. I don't blame you for being cautious. I'm glad y'all still had a good time.

The brunch was something that, in theory, is a great idea. However, the comedian "chats" for about 5 minutes (not sure if they do this in intervals per hour or what - the first time we were there almost 90 minutes and only heard him once). I would recommend attending to form your own opinion and because the thought of a dining room breakfast at 11a is tempting in and of itself. Especially if you are a past cruiser and have to use your free drink coupon ;)

• 4 months later...

recently heard that many of my issues were resolved - cold food no longer and having just got off the Valor, where the food was always warm and yummy, I am happy for future Breeze cruisers!

That night, we went to dinner and took pics after. The food was good and hot! My only other ship peeve? In 2010 on the Dream, they had electronic pics - swipe your S&S card and face recognition picked your pics and displayed them. Why the heck did they go back to printing them out again???? Anyway, the new "bonuses" card was a neat addition - a pic of the ship at 3rd pic purchased, a mug at the 6th and a pen drive at the 10th and with an additional $9.99, you get your 10 pics put on it so you've got the bigger sizes, plus pics of the ship. We did that so I leave you with a shot from it.

406699_10152324412360015_1646365563_n.jpg

Hi Jenn

Do you remember the cost of the photo's and do they have any "packages" I know that RCCL is doing an all inclusive package and I spent more than a few hundred:eek: last time so my hubby said maybe I could check it out ....lol :-) I heard that each pic is $20 but I was not sure if there are any "bonuses" or Package levels ... Thanks in advance ... Cat:):):)

Hi Jenn

Do you remember the cost of the photo's and do they have any "packages" I know that RCCL is doing an all inclusive package and I spent more than a few hundred:eek: last time so my hubby said maybe I could check it out ....lol :-) I heard that each pic is $20 but I was not sure if there are any "bonuses" or Package levels ... Thanks in advance ... Cat:):):)

The pictures are $14.99 each and no, no deals. They now do a buy 3 get something free (free pic of the ship, free mug, etc). But no deals :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...