First time carnival- First time cruiser

joy4ron

I disagree with these responses. I believe you would be better off on Disney Cruise Lines since you will get what you anticipate. This is not always the case with Carnival. I have taken 5 Carnival cruises. Have only been satisfied twice. Granted, you will pay more on Disney, but it will be a more wholesome family experience

I think most mass market cruise lines are more alike than different. Your enjoyment of the cruise will depend a lot on where you cruise to and how many days you spend at sea. I personally perfer a more port intensive itinerary when I sail with Canival as I don't like days at sea as much as some people do. Some of what you hear about quality vs quantity is true - you get what you pay for. People who are fans of Canival like the fact they cost less - not sure that's always a good thing. But stick to Carnival's newest ships, and you won't be disappointed.

Good luck!

The great advantage the cruise ship has over other resorts is that you can take advantage of beach/relaxation days but there is also so much to do for those who need to be entertained nonstop.

The other great advantage of the cruise ship is that when people do get seriously intoxicated, they're not trying to drive home and take the chance of injuring or killing anyone (including themselves). All they need to do is stagger back to their cabins and sleep it off (or throw up, etc)

I asked myself the same questions. I am 41, my husband is 48, and my son is 13. We have done beach vacations, all-inclusives, and disney, in recent years. We asked friends that have cruised. They have given Carnival positive reviews. We like to be active, but also want time to relax. My son, I hope will do Circle C and meet others his age. We decided to sail out of Baltimore July 7th. We think we made a good choice:)

I think the rep is coming bk to Carnival as the party ships . As they just introduced a program called " cheers ' where people pay a rather hefty fee for alcholic drinks. However there's a 15 drink limit per day , but you can bet the party people will make sure they get their monies worth.

Guess what....because the program has been so successful, it has now spawned three things.

1) It is now available on 8 different Carnival ships.

2) It is now being tested by Norwegian.

3) It is now available fleet wide on Royal, in two different versions.

Also, there is no official 15 drink limit, but the bartenders are alerted by a red flag signal in the system once you hit 15 drinks over the course of a day. And if you don't want to sail on any ships that offer this program as an option, your mass market cruise line choices are now down to either Princess or Norwegian before they officially expand their version of the program.

I disagree with these responses. I believe you would be better off on Disney Cruise Lines since you will get what you anticipate. This is not always the case with Carnival. I have taken 5 Carnival cruises. Have only been satisfied twice. Granted, you will pay more on Disney, but it will be a more wholesome family experience

Not everyone can afford to pay close to 200 pp per day to cruise, and that's for an inside cabin on Disney.

I asked myself the same questions. I am 41, my husband is 48, and my son is 13. We have done beach vacations, all-inclusives, and disney, in recent years. We asked friends that have cruised. They have given Carnival positive reviews. We like to be active, but also want time to relax. My son, I hope will do Circle C and meet others his age. We decided to sail out of Baltimore July 7th. We think we made a good choice:)

You obviously made the choice because of the cost savings involved by being able to drive to Baltimore instead of having to fly to FLA. The Pride is a very nice ship, it's laid out nicely and many people on CC like it because of the space/passenger ratio being the best. The only negative thing I can say about your cruise are the ports you're visiting. Nassau, Freeport and Pt Canaveral are not real high on the list of favorite ports on CC. A cruise is what you make of it though, so do your research on CC...check out the ports of call boards for private tour options in the 3 ports and have a blast. Also, remember to sign up for your roll call and maybe your son can communicate with another kid his age before the cruise begins.

I cruised the dream last year. I do not like anything pg-13+.

All of that is easily avoided. The shows can be pg13+, as well as the late night comedy, but the main seating comedy show is good. Water park, back of ship so nice, mini golf.

I would avoid main pool area during sea days.

Other than that.........totally lame and tame and wonderful all at the same time.

Thats all a part of history now ;)

Yeah, I know. Unfortunately. Well, don't they still give free drinks at the past guest reception? I haven't sailed since the changes to the past guest reception happened.

And at least I should get my coupon for the free drink at the brunch, and I'm looking forward to using that on something that I probably wouldn't normally get.

I'm thinking of booking a cruise for summer 2013.

I have some friends and family who have been on Carnival, and I've gotten completely opposite opinions.

About my family- I am 39, DW is 39. DD is 19 and DS is 12. We are a pretty conservative family. Don't drink or smoke, and we have always been pretty selective in what we watch on TV. My friend (his fave is HAL) who went on Carnival 20 years ago is far less conservative than I says that we would hate it because it's a wild frat party. My Aunt (her fave is Princess) who is even more conservative and has cruised carnival more recently says that we would have a blast.

Our favorite vacations vary between a week on the beach and a week at Disney. We like to go-go-go, and we appreciate sitting back and soaking in the rays.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I think the bolded text says it all.:)

My wife and I just took a cruise on the Pride this past October sans kids and had a great time. So much so that we are going on the Pride again, but this time we will bring the kids with us.

I would not and do not hesitate to recommend Carnival to my friends with kids. Yes, people drink but that is the case on any cruiseline. I've certainly never seen anything close to a wild frat party.

I would avoid the adult comedy shows for sure. There are going to be more adult areas that may not appeal to you.

But I think you'll find plenty to enjoy.

Archived