Something I forgot to mention

magandab

It just occurred to me that in my review of my Oosterdam NZ cruise, there was one thing that occurred, that really bothered me and I completely forgot to mention. Would love any comment you'd care to share.

This was my third cruise on HAL since they started the On Deck for the Cure program. The walk was the next-to-last day, a sea day of course.

We were told to meet in the Ocean Bar and when I got there I was surprised at the number of participants, probably 75 or so. However, first problem, the chairs were all pushed together into a corner and easels were being set up for the art auction. So, there were very few places to sit, and not much room to stand. Someone, I never did get her name or title, showed up and gave the same speech about the same $3 million raised by this program. She stressed that we would have to keep track of our own laps, then called survivors up to start the walk. And, away we went.

As I finished lap 1, I noted there was nobody there at the start/end point, just a banner tied to the railing. No music playing, nothing. I did the entire 9 laps and NOBODY from HAL was there at all. The previous two times I've done this, there was a small cheering section from HAL as you passed the start line.

When I was done, I went back in and there was a table with lemonade and cookies, and a dining room steward (I assumed from his uniform) pouring and keeping the plates full. Again, nobody from the HAL staff.

I did call and expressed my unhappiness and got a call back immediately. It seems the events planner, who started the walk, had the flu so went back to her cabin. I can understand and sympathize with that. But I still am really uncomfortable with the fact that HAL gave the impression that they were going through the motions.

Any thoughts? Am I being overly sensitive? Is this the new normal for this event?

I will admit I was a bit raw that morning, as they person I had walked "for" the first two times had died in the intervening year. Hit me a lot harder than I thought it would.

How does the walk for a cure work? My DW is a breast cancer survivor and I know she will be interested in this when we are on board next week. I have held off telling her about it until I could learn more or until we were there.

One time per cruise, every cruise, there is a 5K walk. For a donation of $15 (or more) per person, you get a t shirt and wrist band. There is a lot of cameraderie and you can walk all, none, or part of the 5K. It ends with a pink lemonade party. BTW, there were quite a few husbands walking this last time as well.

HAL's goal for this was to raise $750,000.00 and, to date, they've raised over $3 million to go to the Susan Komen Foundation.

I think it's $3 and change that goes to pay for the shirt and wrist band, the rest goes to the fund.

How does the walk for a cure work? My DW is a breast cancer survivor and I know she will be interested in this when we are on board next week. I have held off telling her about it until I could learn more or until we were there.

My wife is also a survivor so we were looking forward to it. We did not hear or see a thing about it on the ship, and we had eight sea days.

My mom had mentioned the thought that maybe due to the recent Planned Parenthood controversy, HAL is trying to lessen the connection with Komen? I pooh-pooh'd it, but maybe she was right.

Hmmm... I forgot about the planned parenthood thing. I am against abortion so that might affect me personally.

It just occurred to me that in my review of my Oosterdam NZ cruise, there was one thing that occurred, that really bothered me and I completely forgot to mention. Would love any comment you'd care to share.

This was my third cruise on HAL since they started the On Deck for the Cure program. The walk was the next-to-last day, a sea day of course.

We were told to meet in the Ocean Bar and when I got there I was surprised at the number of participants, probably 75 or so. However, first problem, the chairs were all pushed together into a corner and easels were being set up for the art auction. So, there were very few places to sit, and not much room to stand. Someone, I never did get her name or title, showed up and gave the same speech about the same $3 million raised by this program. She stressed that we would have to keep track of our own laps, then called survivors up to start the walk. And, away we went.

As I finished lap 1, I noted there was nobody there at the start/end point, just a banner tied to the railing. No music playing, nothing. I did the entire 9 laps and NOBODY from HAL was there at all. The previous two times I've done this, there was a small cheering section from HAL as you passed the start line.

When I was done, I went back in and there was a table with lemonade and cookies, and a dining room steward (I assumed from his uniform) pouring and keeping the plates full. Again, nobody from the HAL staff.

I did call and expressed my unhappiness and got a call back immediately. It seems the events planner, who started the walk, had the flu so went back to her cabin. I can understand and sympathize with that. But I still am really uncomfortable with the fact that HAL gave the impression that they were going through the motions.

Any thoughts? Am I being overly sensitive? Is this the new normal for this event?

I will admit I was a bit raw that morning, as they person I had walked "for" the first two times had died in the intervening year. Hit me a lot harder than I thought it would.

With 75 people in attendance ....I think it was tacky that HAL started the walk and then essentially "disappeared".

It is $15 per person -- charged to your ship board account. About $3 is taken from the $15 to pay for the t-shirts, etc.

There has been a big cut-back in the staff the last couple of years and when you have an event that may last a couple of hours -- the CD and the very few staff he/she has have other events that they have to do as well.

So look for changes.

My wife is also a survivor so we were looking forward to it. We did not hear or see a thing about it on the ship, and we had eight sea days.

You should have found a sign up letter in your mailbox. Perhaps you didn't realize what it was and deposited it in the paper recycle part of your wastebasket? Or perhaps they missed your mailbox when distributing the letters. We had one in our box each week of our recent Collector's Cruise.

My mom had mentioned the thought that maybe due to the recent Planned Parenthood controversy, HAL is trying to lessen the connection with Komen? I pooh-pooh'd it, but maybe she was right.

No.... HAL has not distanced themselves. The Walk was very present on every HAL cruise we have had in recent years including our recent Westerdam cruise.

You should have found a sign up letter in your mailbox. Perhaps you didn't realize what it was and deposited it in the paper recycle part of your wastebasket? Or perhaps they missed your mailbox when distributing the letters. We had one in our box each week of our recent Collector's Cruise.

No.... HAL has not distanced themselves. The Walk was very present on every HAL cruise we have had in recent years including our recent Westerdam cruise.

We got the flyer to, and it was in that day's explorer.

I'm not saying they aren't having the walks, but on our cruise there was virtually no presence by HAL staff. That apparent, or at least perceived, lack of interest is what I'm referring to.

We have done the walk 3 times once on RCCL and twice on Holland. Our first experience on Hollands Zuiderdam was great but on the Westerdam Alaskan cruise last July we got the same treatment we rounded the last corner and at the finish line there was just a table with cookies and lemonade and no staff. The staff was less than enthusiastic at the start also. It felt the staff was just going through the motions and it took some of the fun away. I would still do the walk but I think if it gets worse attendance will go down. ChelseaSailor

"HAL's goal for this was to raise $750,000.00 and, to date, they've raised over $3 million to go to the Susan Komen Foundation."

This is a very worthy cause. Does HAL match the money donated or raised by the walkers, or was the $3 million raised from the walkers?

"HAL's goal for this was to raise $750,000.00 and, to date, they've raised over $3 million to go to the Susan Komen Foundation."

This is a very worthy cause. Does HAL match the money donated or raised by the walkers, or was the $3 million raised from the walkers?

I can't be 100% sure, but I believe it's all from the walkers. I think that's one of the things that bothers me; HAL get "credit" for being philanthropic but, at least on this cruise, just phoned it in.

Here's the HAL fact sheet.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/about-best-cruise-lines/OnDeckfortheCureFactSheet.pdf

I can't be 100% sure, but I believe it's all from the walkers. I think that's one of the things that bothers me; HAL get "credit" for being philanthropic but, at least on this cruise, just phoned it in.

Here's the HAL fact sheet.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/about-best-cruise-lines/OnDeckfortheCureFactSheet.pdf

Based on what I read, it seems you are correct. Here's a quote

"The goal of On Deck for the Cure is to leverage the Holland America Line fleet as a platform, along with the generosity of shipboard guests and crew, to raise significant funds for breast cancer research, education, screening and treatment programs." There's no mention of HAL Matching the funds.

There seems to be more of this kind of 'charity' with corporations taking credit for the gifts & generosity of their customers.

My mother passed away from breast cancer. Every year on her birthday, I make a contribution in her name. It is important to me that the money is given in her name.

Crew do events for raising funds for the cause as do those who work in the Seattle Home Office. I have seen photos of group walks, group activities made up of those from Elliott Avenue so HAL does contribute directly.

You may remember that Ambassador Nancy Brinker, sister of Susan G. Komen and founder of the organization, was present at the Dedication of Nieuw Amsterdam. She participated at the Naming of the Ship.

The fact no crew/staff actively participated in the walk described in this thread is disappointing. If the events manager became ill, that certainly would be one reason but surely CD or someone else could have brought a few crew along to acknowledge the efforts and contributions made by the guests. Someone belonged there and someone 'dropped the ball'. Maybe they need more crew in order to continue to do these things that guests have every reason to expect. JMO.....

When we lived in the Seattle area, we participated several times in the 5K Walk for the Komen Foundation. There was always a large contingent of Holland America walkers, with a big banner in the stadium starting point and a raucous, cheerful presence that made me want to desert my work team and join them instead.

I've always thought that, in addition to pink lemonade at the end of the On Board for the Cure Walk, it would be nice to have some pink CHAMPAGNE/Sparkling Wine on offer. The last time we did the HAL walk (2010, Zaandam?), there was a lack of photo ops and fuss at the beginning and end.

Mrs M (watching our first snowstorm outside our new Flagstaff home)

We did the walk on the zaandam in Nov. The CD talked beforehand, brought up the cancer survivors that were attending and they introduced themselves and we all cheered for them. Then we went outside and the CD had the survivors in front start us off. We counted down and off we went. The ship photographer was there taking pictures as we walked around, the ship videographer was there to get video. The CD left after we started, but there was a staff member there the whole time, he might have been a dancer, I'm not sure. Also, upbeat music was played through the speakers throughout our entire walk.

You do NOT have to participate in the walk at all. The CD said before we started "you can walk 12 laps or 12 steps, this isn't a competitive walk, and besides we already got your money" it sounds harsh out of context but it was really funny.

I was disappointed in the number of attendees. Only like 20 or so on our cruise, although the average age on the 14 day cruise was pretty high.

The thing that bothers me most on these walks and similar ones on other lines is that we make the donation to the cruise line andd they make the donation to the charity thereby the cruise line gets the credit (and the tax deduction) for the donation and we get a Tshirt and get to feel good. Or am I being overly sensitive?

The thing that bothers me most on these walks and similar ones on other lines is that we make the donation to the cruise line andd they make the donation to the charity thereby the cruise line gets the credit (and the tax deduction) for the donation and we get a Tshirt and get to feel good. Or am I being overly sensitive?

No, unless you prefer to make an anonymous gift. Which really wouldn't be anonymous to HAL. If you would prefer the tax deduction that many would, yes, HAL is taking advantage of you.

Archived