Can You Eat Wheat or Gluten Free onboard?

BayCalif-Ariz R Us

Unless get violently ill from the Soya why even worry about the tiny amount in the Soya. Is it worth taking a bottle then having it break in your carry or luggage and possibly damage your possessions.

You are correct, if someone is just following a diet for personal reasons and not because they have celiac, it may not be worth the hassle of bringing gf soy sauce.

However, if one does truly have celiac, they know that even a tiny bit of wheat is a huge no no. Just a little friendly heads up to anyone who is newly starting this diet for true celiac or gluten intolerance. I have brought my own soy sauce and wrapped it in several layers of bubble wrap and then put it into a freezer bag in suitcase. It was fine. Funny though, I never ended up actually using it.

Not wanting a big debate, but one does not go on a gluten free diet to 'lose weight.'

Coeliacs (spelt celiac in the USA) like myself have to eat GF to avoid serious illness, I won't go into that, not nice.

Gluten is a protein, not able to be seen but as has been said on here, even a minute trace of gluten, found in wheat, barley, oats and rye can cause significant 'gut issues for coeliacs due to the body's immune system reaction, something like that.

I do not think I will take my GF soy sauce on board though, do without it.

However Princess Cruises and other cruise lines generally do a fine job with GF issues on board, but don't be frightened to ask questions of catering staff. I shied away from cruises because I did not want to be a problem for cruise staff when the Coeliac disease hit me a couple of years ago, plus I was too ill anyway for a while but I gathered myself and am now cruising again, albeit without the cakes and pastries, nice bread and nice beer, most GF food and drink is not real nice, well not as nice as the 'real stuff' anyway.

Happy cruising Coeliacs and to all those who have special dietary issues through illness.

Not wanting a big debate, but one does not go on a gluten free diet to 'lose weight.'

Coeliacs (spelt celiac in the USA) like myself have to eat GF to avoid serious illness, I won't go into that, not nice.

Gluten is a protein, not able to be seen but as has been said on here, even a minute trace of gluten, found in wheat, barley, oats and rye can cause significant 'gut issues for coeliacs due to the body's immune system reaction, something like that.

I do not think I will take my GF soy sauce on board though, do without it.

However Princess Cruises and other cruise lines generally do a fine job with GF issues on board, but don't be frightened to ask questions of catering staff. I shied away from cruises because I did not want to be a problem for cruise staff when the Coeliac disease hit me a couple of years ago, plus I was too ill anyway for a while but I gathered myself and am now cruising again, albeit without the cakes and pastries, nice bread and nice beer, most GF food and drink is not real nice, well not as nice as the 'real stuff' anyway.

Happy cruising Coeliacs and to all those who have special dietary issues through illness.

Couldn't have explained it better . My DW who is an undiagnosed Celiac (test comes back negative) has had no problem cruising. The only issue she finds for people who use GF as a diet . Is that most premade GF foods and flours( for baking) are high in carbs.

If people want to use GF as a diet they will have to cut carbs to zero or as close to min as possible. That means not baked GF breads or buns.

Wheat-free Tamari (gluten-free soy sauce) is now sold in single-serve packets that are easy to pack. I believe Kari-Out as a low sodium variety.

We have had difficulty finding sushi that is gluten-free--the seaweed use in the rolls has often been pressed with soy sauce, and if the rolls contain "crab" it may be fake crabmeat that usually contains wheat as well; and lastly very often the sushi rice is marinated in a vinegar that also contains wheat.

This may not be very important for your needs, but it is an issue for a member of my party who has Celiac and needs to eat gluten-free.

Good luck with your wheat-free dietary trial! There is a lot of interesting information on the internet about wheat and "lectins", which explains how wheat causes weight gain for some people.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you again - as for not going on GF or wheat-free diet solely to lose weight, I'll just have to give it a try and see what happens. I'll announce the results to my CC group at our Sail-away party lol. My best friend has about as bad a case of celiac as you can get so of course I am turning to her for advice. I added two capsules of 'Green Coffee Bean Extract' to my daily routine as of yesterday - now that does get pretty favorable reviews as a weight loss helper.

I don't know if I mentioned it earlier in this thread but this desire to lose weight is not simply to look better. I had polio as a child and it is really catching up with me some 60 years later. Muscles just start to degenerate after a lifetime of straining them to make up for the original loss of muscles. Nothing can be done to replace the muscles - but you can help by taking some weight off your legs.

Archived