Medical Charges Question

mprcruiser

DH and I were on the Century which left San Diego on 11-19. While onboard ship DH caught a bad cold which developed into an infection. He decided to go to the ship’s doctor. She was very nice and thorough. She gave him antibiotics, antihistamines and a nasal spray. When we received the statement from the medical center, we noticed what seemed to be an extremely high charge for the nasal spray. We didn’t question it because we were not familiar with the brand. The charge for the spray was $115.92. After arriving home DH checked the spray brand and found out it was available online for $4.33 (free shipping) and equivalent to Afrin which is available for about $6 at local stores/pharmacies. He sent an email to Celebrity Customer Service 8 days ago questioning the exorbitant cost of the nasal spray and wondering if there had been a mistake in the charge. When he had not received a response after 5 days, he resent the email. After 4 days, he has still received no response from Celebrity. Has anyone else had an experience similar to this? Oh yes, the charges for the antibiotics and antihistamines were more than the costs at home, as to be expected, but not that much out of line. He did recover from the cold.

mprcruiser

DH and I were on the Century which left San Diego on 11-19. While onboard ship DH caught a bad cold which developed into an infection. He decided to go to the ship’s doctor. She was very nice and thorough. She gave him antibiotics, antihistamines and a nasal spray. When we received the statement from the medical center, we noticed what seemed to be an extremely high charge for the nasal spray. We didn’t question it because we were not familiar with the brand. The charge for the spray was $115.92. After arriving home DH checked the spray brand and found out it was available online for $4.33 (free shipping) and equivalent to Afrin which is available for about $6 at local stores/pharmacies. He sent an email to Celebrity Customer Service 8 days ago questioning the exorbitant cost of the nasal spray and wondering if there had been a mistake in the charge. When he had not received a response after 5 days, he resent the email. After 4 days, he has still received no response from Celebrity. Has anyone else had an experience similar to this? Oh yes, the charges for the antibiotics and antihistamines were more than the costs at home, as to be expected, but not that much out of line. He did recover from the cold.

mprcruiser

Hi Mprcruiser,

I'm not sure if our members can answer your question regarding specific charges, with certainty. Have you tried contacting Celebrity's corporate guest relations dept ? They can be reached at 1-800-256-6649. I'm confident they can forward your inquiry to the proper personnel.

I hope this helps, and your DH is feeling better. Please let us know the outcome. Happy Holidays !

Sounds like Celebrity had a new profit center. Make those doctors pay for themselves. Actually, this is no different than a hospital on land charging $15 for an aspirin. Insurance usually negotiates it down before you pay on land, but you have to pay immediately on the ship so I am afraid you are stuck.

You can buy some online meds that are the same brand name but a different formula than an Rx. One Claritin costs 28 bucks for a month OTC, but a Claritin Rx was $211.00, same name different formula.( at WalMart).

If you had cruise insurance, turn the charges in to them. They will pay them.

mprcruiser

This where travel Medical insurance needs to be used . The cost isn't very high considering the medical staff are contractors that work for a company other then the cruise line. That's right most cruise lines don't hire there own Doctors but go thru a third party .

Hi Mprcruiser,

I'm not sure if our members can answer your question regarding specific charges, with certainty. Have you tried contacting Celebrity's corporate guest relations dept ? They can be reached at 1-800-256-6649. I'm confident they can forward your inquiry to the proper personnel.

I hope this helps, and your DH is feeling better. Please let us know the outcome. Happy Holidays !

We just wondered if someone else had the same experience. I have told him to call but he prefers email because he says that he has a record of what is said. Thanks for the help and yes, he is feeling much better. He has recovered.

Jimanne

Did you have trip insurance? If so, make sure to check your policy because my medical visit on the ship (tetanus shot and cleaning of a wound) was completely covered. I just sent in a claim form, the bill, and proof of payment and I received a reimbursement check very quickly.

We just wondered if someone else had the same experience. I have told him to call but he prefers email because he says that he has a record of what is said. Thanks for the help and yes, he is feeling much better. He has recovered.

Jimanne

I fell and needed an Xray of my foot. The ship's charge for that was $578. Yes, they charge insane prices.

I know a doctor who has previously worked for both Princess and P&O cruises. Celebrity may do this different, however whilst he was working with Princess and P&O he was self employed. He had the freedom to charge what he liked for his services and products. If no one was ill he didn't get paid, although that was rare, as he retired from sea at 48 years of age a multi millionaire.

The basic rule was charge what you like, his patients had no alternatives, the insurance will cover it!

Did you have trip insurance? If so, make sure to check your policy because my medical visit on the ship (tetanus shot and cleaning of a wound) was completely covered. I just sent in a claim form, the bill, and proof of payment and I received a reimbursement check very quickly.

Yes, we have travel insurance. We were told by them he has to file with Medicare, then his supplemental and then the travel insurance. We are awaiting the info from Medicare, which, I believe, will not pay anything. After that, file with supplemental and then we can send the claim form into the travel insurance.

I had to be seen by the ships doctor while on the Star Princess in October. I felt the charge by the medical center was itself was quite reasonable. The antibiotics were on the pricy side but honestly I would have paid so much more just to get them and not ruin the remainder of my cruise. I submitted billls to my private insurance which paid for the doctor portion but denied me on the pharmacy. Seems my health insurance doesn't pay for drugs dispensed by a physician. Too bad Walgreens at sea was closed the day I needed them. I did have trip insurance so I will be submitting it to them.

Yup.in line. With hospital charges for meds however it ay also have been "prescription strength" as opposed to over the counter strength

Kinda like Tylenol, if you want 800mg you need a prescription at big buckaroos, or you could buy over the counter generic 200mg and take 4 tablets

Another reason to take trip insurance.

Archived