Ruby TA - Weather

Nymue

My husband and I are thinking of booking the Ruby Trans-Atlantic in April. It will be our first TA. I wondering what the weather and sea conditions are like on a crossing are like. Any input would be very welcome.

Thanks, Anne

We took a Ruby transatlantic in April 2010. As others have said, the weather is changeable as are the seas. That being said, I don't think one should plan on particularly warm weather. The seas are cooler than in the fall months (when we have done 5 transatlantics) and therefore the air temps are also cooler. We had calm seas but that's variable obviously. I don't know what your itinerary will be, but we stopped in Madeira and as we approached that island it became warmer and from there to the Med was also warmer. It definitely was not a hot weather-lover's cruise.

We were on the Ruby spring TA in 2009 and 2010. In 2009 we had very rough seas and a storm the last 2 days before Madiera. There was salt from the ocean spray an inch thick on our balcony wall, and we were on Deck 11. In 2010 the seas were like glass. It is impossible to predict what the weather will be like 5 months from now.

We loved the cruise both years, and we would do it again in a heartbeat. TA's are our favorite itineraries.

It might be calm, it might be rough, it might be a combination of both.

We were on one Princess spring TA and had great weather and calm seas all the way across.

However, the Captain announced that another Princess ship that was two days ahead of us had rough weather most of the way across the ocean.

Archived