Need help choosing NYC hotel!

Mare10

For a couple pre-cruise nights in New York City in Oct. 2013.... we're looking at the Holiday Inn Midtown or the Hilton New York.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Or other suggestions in the Midtown area!

Thanks... it's overwhelming!

Marilyn :confused:

I'll try to help. First, why did you narrow it down to these two properties? Are you using points? As you said, the choices are limitless. If you want to walk places, the Hilton is in a better location.

For a couple pre-cruise nights in New York City in Oct. 2013.... we're looking at the Holiday Inn Midtown or the Hilton New York.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Or other suggestions in the Midtown area!

Thanks... it's overwhelming!

Marilyn :confused:

Thanks for the replies. We were looking at these two properties because the TA came up with them as we start looking. We'll be needing 2 pre cruise nights and one post (Oct 10 and 11th and the 19th.)

Ideally we'd like to stay within walking distance of Times Square etc.

As for the budget... hmmmm. Realizing hotels are quite expensive there I'm not sure of an figure. We do want to be in a safe and of course clean place with 2 beds.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Recently I did a search for hostels in Manhattan and found some that appeared to be rather nice. They are not all dorms, many do have rooms with private bathrooms or rooms with shared bathrooms. If you are just looking for a clean safe place to stay, they will do the job. If you look at the hostels, be sure to check out the list of things they supply. There are some where the linens are separate.

Try Kayak.com and search for hotels in Times Square area to get an idea of prices for your dates. Then come here for opinions. October is a very popular month, the prices tend to be high then.

Thanks for the replies. We were looking at these two properties because the TA came up with them as we start looking. We'll be needing 2 pre cruise nights and one post (Oct 10 and 11th and the 19th.)

As for the budget... hmmmm. Realizing hotels are quite expensive there I'm not sure of an figure. We do want to be in a safe and of course clean place with 2 beds.

The 2-bed thing is going to be the sticking point. I was all ready to give you my Algonquin suggestion with the Marriott LNF lowest rate guarantee deal, but they only have rooms with 1 bed.

It is worth pointing out, however, that pretty much all chains have some sort of lowest rate guarantee, so if you can make it work, it's a great way of getting a discounted rate.

Wow... that's not the first time I've heard that October is a popular month which means pricier. Guess we better get serious about booking something very soon.

I really appreciate the advice given so far. Love Cruise Critic!

Archived