Sunset Beach vs Secrets vs ?

nickel1522

I am sure this question has already been posted before but I am debating between Sunset Beach and Secrets Wild Orchid (Carnival's Seawinds Family All Inclusive Beach Day) in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Sunset Beach is cheaper and it has the waterpark; however, the beach does not look as nice as Secrets. I am looking for an all inclusive beach that is as nice as Doctor's Cave Beach. Any suggestions???

I am sure this question has already been posted before but I am debating between Sunset Beach and Secrets Wild Orchid (Carnival's Seawinds Family All Inclusive Beach Day) in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Sunset Beach is cheaper and it has the waterpark; however, the beach does not look as nice as Secrets. I am looking for an all inclusive beach that is as nice as Doctor's Cave Beach. Any suggestions???

Check out the Hilton Rose Hall excursion through Jamaica for a day. It is priced between the two resorts you mentioned, @ 94.00 including transportation, and it has gotten rave reviews on Tripadvisor.

• 1 year later...

also searching for info on Secrets... There is an excursion listed thru Carnival, but it is from 10-2:30, and the ship is in port from 9-6. For the price, I would like to be there longer than 4.5 hours.

So has anyone been to this resort?? Has anyone booked directly thru the hotel? ( I am about to send them a message myself, so I will post back with their reply.)

also searching for info on Secrets... There is an excursion listed thru Carnival, but it is from 10-2:30, and the ship is in port from 9-6. For the price, I would like to be there longer than 4.5 hours.

So has anyone been to this resort?? Has anyone booked directly thru the hotel? ( I am about to send them a message myself, so I will post back with their reply.)

Here is a link to reviews on TA.....

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147311-d1604119-Reviews-Secrets_Wild_Orchid_Montego_Bay-Montego_Bay_Saint_James_Parish_Jamaica.html

Here is the response directly from the hotel...

"Thank you for your interest in our resort. We do currently have day passes available at a cost of $119 per person which is subject to change. As you are cruise ship passengers you will get a 50% discount on the rate so it will be $119 for both you and your husband. This will give you access to the resorts’ facilities and activities from 10am through to 6pm. With this you will not however have the use of a room. If you would like to have one arranged you can let me know and I will be more than happy to facilitate. "

The excursion thru the ship only has us there from 10-2:30 at $110 per person.

FYI - this is an Adults only resort.

We did Sunset a couple of years ago. It is short cab ride and you can actually see if from the port. It is away from town so feels very safe secure. The beach was very nice, and it was not at all crowded.

"Thank you for your interest in our resort. We do currently have day passes available at a cost of $119 per person which is subject to change. As you are cruise ship passengers you will get a 50% discount on the rate so it will be $119 for both you and your husband. This will give you access to the resorts’ facilities and activities from 10am through to 6pm. With this you will not however have the use of a room. If you would like to have one arranged you can let me know and I will be more than happy to facilitate. "

That is a great deal......but the 10-230 time parameters through Carnival includes the transportation time each way, so you're not at the resort for 4.5 hours. You would leave the dock at 10:00 and get back to the ship at 2:30, so if the resort is 30 minutes away, that only gives you 3.5 hours there. You can cab it on your own, leave the resort at 4:30 and still be back in plenty of time for your 6:00 departure, giving you 6.5 hours at the resort. All you need to do is find out the cab cost from the port to the resort. Good luck.

More info from the resort...

"Food and beverage is included in the cost; you will just not have a room. Please be advised that while we look forward to our guests safe arrival and departure, Secrets Resorts Montego Bay does not offer ground transfers. We do recommend that you contact our Destination Management Company (DMC) – Amstar – by sending them an email at transportation@amstardmcjm.com. They will be happy to provide you with reservation details and applicable rates. You may also view their website for additional information and other services available https://www.amstardmc.com/jamaica/ .

You can just confirm all the names and I will prepare a pass to be left at the gate for you. Payment is done on arrival at the front desk."

So now I am off to check on transportation, and will post it also when I find out.

More info from the resort...

"Food and beverage is included in the cost; you will just not have a room. Please be advised that while we look forward to our guests safe arrival and departure, Secrets Resorts Montego Bay does not offer ground transfers. We do recommend that you contact our Destination Management Company (DMC) – Amstar – by sending them an email at transportation@amstardmcjm.com. They will be happy to provide you with reservation details and applicable rates. You may also view their website for additional information and other services available https://www.amstardmc.com/jamaica/ .

You can just confirm all the names and I will prepare a pass to be left at the gate for you. Payment is done on arrival at the front desk."

So now I am off to check on transportation, and will post it also when I find out.

Found a great transportation option for those that are arriving in Falmouth and wish to go to either Montego Bay or Rose Hall. RT for only 14.00pp to Rose Hall and 20.00pp to MB. Includes Secrets in Montego Bay as well as other options.

http://www.jaital.com/jaital-falmouth-transport-tour_Xr3c_5996.html

Edited by SNJCruisers

Thanks for posting this info! Is this "all inclusive"--i.e drinks/food??

Found a great transportation option for those that are arriving in Falmouth and wish to go to either Montego Bay or Rose Hall. RT for only 14.00pp to Rose Hall and 20.00pp to MB. Includes Secrets in Montego Bay as well as other options.

http://www.jaital.com/jaital-falmouth-transport-tour_Xr3c_5996.html

Thanks for sharing!! Just sent them a email. Thinking of Drs Cave Beach all day and roundtrip service. Sounds easy enough :)

DH and I went to Sunset Beach in August of this year and enjoyed our time there. They picked us up at the port and dropped us off at the front of the resort. Then picked us up and dropped us off back at the ship. Before leaving for our cruise we began to hear horror stories about MoBay and Jamaica in general. It really had us concerned. When we actually got there, I never felt unsafe! I think the fact that the transportation was like it was helped immensely.

We enjoyed the lunch buffet @ Sunset Beach. I actually told DH a few weeks ago that I was ready to go back just for the jerk chicken and rice & peas! YUM!

We booked through Jamaicaforaday and will do so again when we cruise.

I hope this helps and I hope that you have a great time in MoBay!

Very interesting. Is this from the Montego Bay port?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Secrets did respond to me with a rate of $119 per person and would not gty availability until 1 week before our visit. I sent a reply asking about the 2 for 1 rate but never received a response. A friend has also emailed secrets and received No response so it seems they are no longer wanting to offer Cruise passengers a deal :(

Secrets did respond to me with a rate of $119 per person and would not gty availability until 1 week before our visit. I sent a reply asking about the 2 for 1 rate but never received a response. A friend has also emailed secrets and received No response so it seems they are no longer wanting to offer Cruise passengers a deal :(
It's obviously basic economics of supply and demand. If their occupancy rate is low for the date you wish to visit, then they will honor the 50% off day rate. If they are somewhat full, then they won't.