Rear-facing or covered mini-suite?

MickeyGD

(DH logged in as Mickey) (I really need to create my own profile one of these days!)

Mickey and I are big fans of the rear-facing balcony rooms on the Princess ships that slope inward from top to bottom (Caribbean, Crown, Diamond, Emerald, Golden, Grand, Ruby, Sapphire and Star). The interior is the same as any balcony room, but the balconies are HUGE (we once measured one: 110 sq ft!)and enjoy total privacy from above.

We're currently booked for two back-to-back 4-night Caribbean cruises on the Ruby next December in a rear-facing balcony cabin (C753). We're also booked on a 7-night on the Crown departing on the same day as the first of the two 4-nighters. On the Crown we have one of the two primo mini-suites on Emerald deck (E731) - the ones with the extended balcony. We need to decide which cruise to keep, and soon (as Princess will only hold the Crown booking until the 20th).

We're looking for feedback from people who have enjoyed one of these two mini-suites on Emerald deck with the extended balcony: E728 or E729 on the Golden, Grand or Star; E728 or E731 on the Diamond or Sapphire; E730 or E731 on the CB, Crown, Emerald or Ruby. Particularly interested in feedback from people who have sailed in one of those mini-suites AND in one of the rear-facing balcony rooms.

Thanks!

We have sailed in E731 on the Sapphire and will be sailing in that same room on the Caribbean. Super great cabin. The extra space of a mini is wonderful and the balcony is at least 50% larger than the other Emerald deck minis. The extra part of the balcony is curved around. There was absolutely no noise from Club Fusion. If you get the port side of this cabin, some people do say there is some thumping from the bandstand. I guess it would all depend on the cruise and cruisers.

Attached are some pics of the balcony and cabin.

Go for it--they sell out fast.

E731-1a.jpg.da61138e7efd7c72ea6d5f2bc3ca3c6d.jpg

E731-2a.jpg.28b6ee1cab23879f8600bc52199ecdf7.jpg

E731-3a.jpg.5e4dc736fc185ef1d251f0cdde2bc29e.jpg

E731-4a.jpg.a8f6a8e5afd4d54b7f90c13fe3cd592e.jpg

E731-5a.jpg.04d6580184819479f9c39a7b398a8cc2.jpg

E731-6a.jpg.7c1f696d490565effe9e8a43ddca4c4b.jpg

We have sailed in E731 on the Sapphire and will be sailing in that same room on the Caribbean. Super great cabin. The extra space of a mini is wonderful and the balcony is at least 50% larger than the other Emerald deck minis. The extra part of the balcony is curved around. There was absolutely no noise from Club Fusion. If you get the port side of this cabin, some people do say there is some thumping from the bandstand. I guess it would all depend on the cruise and cruisers.

Attached are some pics of the balcony and cabin.

Go for it--they sell out fast.

Thanks for the great feedback! I'd heard about the Club Fusion issue and was concerned, but we're starboard and the stage is port so it shouldn't be a problem. Also we're not exactly the "early to bed" types! ;)

As for selling out fast ... Amen! I know this cruise is a year away but I couldn't believe it when I saw this room was available. I think we just made our decision, even though giving up to two back-to-back 4-nighters for one 7-nighter will cost us an additional cruise towards Elite level. On the other hand, 7 nights in this mini-suite is less expensive than the 8 nights in the rear-facing balcony room on the two 4-night cruises. Unfortunately the cat's out of the bag re: the rear-facing balcony rooms. Princess is now calling them "deluxe" and charging more.

And thanks for the pics!

We're currently booked for two back-to-back 4-night Caribbean cruises on the Ruby next December in a rear-facing balcony cabin (C753). We're also booked on a 7-night on the Crown departing on the same day as the first of the two 4-nighters. On the Crown we have one of the two primo mini-suites on Emerald deck (E731) - the ones with the extended balcony. We need to decide which cruise to keep, and soon.

The two four-night cruises will be Princess' foray into what could become party cruises. So your decision may need to be based on do you want two consecutive party cruises with all the fun of an extra day in the middle in Fort Lauderdale or do you want a more normal 7 day cruise experience.

The two four-night cruises will be Princess' foray into what could become party cruises. So your decision may need to be based on do you want two consecutive party cruises with all the fun of an extra day in the middle in Fort Lauderdale or do you want a more normal 7 day cruise experience.

Our main reasons for booking these two B2B were 8 nights w/ 4 sea days and credit for two cruises. I'll need to investigate this "party cruise" concept some - first I've heard of it.

We love the mini suite 730. Never had any sound from Club Fusion bother us. About 2 months after our last cruise, in E730 we booked an other Back to back there. Love it! Just like the port side better.

E730 is port side. No sound from Club Fusion? Nice.

We just finished our first port-side itinerary, 7 days on the CB. All eight of our previous cruises had been starboard or rear-facing. Port side was nice. We could see the FLL condos (and do our PortEvergladesWebcam.com sail-away wave) from our balcony, as well as great views of all ports. Unfortunately E730 was already taken. I'll keep an eye out, though, and check back once in a while. Sometimes they become available again.

I've been in corner rear-facing balconies many times (I'd say at least eight). Recently had the "coveted" mini on Sapphire (not sure of the number on that ship, but equivalent to E731 on Ruby, Crown, etc.) and I'd have to say that given a choice I would take the mini. You have PLENTY of balcony room (maybe not quite as much as the corner aft, but really...how much room do you need?), a larger cabin & bathroom, and probably the same level of "quiet." For me I think it would come down to price. If the mini weren't too much more, I would go for it, as I'll be doing on the Ruby in Feb.

We have been in E730 and E731 and you can't go wrong with either. We also have booked an aft balcony and loved it too! The mini's have more room and the balcony is huge. The balcony on the aft was great as there was not as much wind. I would take either one!

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the great feedback! I'd heard about the Club Fusion issue and was concerned, but we're starboard and the stage is port so it shouldn't be a problem. Also we're not exactly the "early to bed" types! ;)

As for selling out fast ... Amen! I know this cruise is a year away but I couldn't believe it when I saw this room was available. I think we just made our decision, even though giving up to two back-to-back 4-nighters for one 7-nighter will cost us an additional cruise towards Elite level. On the other hand, 7 nights in this mini-suite is less expensive than the 8 nights in the rear-facing balcony room on the two 4-night cruises. Unfortunately the cat's out of the bag re: the rear-facing balcony rooms. Princess is now calling them "deluxe" and charging more.

And thanks for the pics!

I think you've made the right choice! Enjoy that awesome minisuite and your 7 day cruise.

We are a party of 8 and booked the last 4 mini's on Emerald Deck on CB for January 19th. (Since I handled the booking I got E731:)). I was surprised that all 4 of these adjacent cabins were still available when we booked in mid-September.

We just got off the ship on Saturday and had E731, it was fabulous. One thing we had problems with was on the way out it was very windy and there was a LOT of spray from the ocean. The UBD would have been a challenge. On the way back, smooth sailing and no problems with wind or spray. We invited our neighbors in the regular balcony on the aft, beside the suite to see our room and they were not as impressed with our balcony since their's was also large, but DROOLED over our bathtub. ;)

The mini suite also has the 2 flat screen tv's, in our case, a huge advantage since DH can watch tv without bothering me after I've gone to bed.

I'd take either room but DH likes the extra space for the evening after I've crashed into bed.

Archived