best way to book with 2 kids

56 chevy cruise

My wife and I have cruised 7 times, never with kids, but we now have 2 foster kids. 2- 10 yr. old twin girls to be exact. So I guess my question is what would be the most ecomomical way to book. I would like to go with Royal Caribbean. Thanks is advance for the help.

We're cruising RCCL. We booked a category D-1 cabin with a bed and a pullout. We'll see how it works out. We also priced out 2 inside, adjoining cabins. It was less expensive but we felt that the balcony and the extra room it gave would be worth it (we got aft cabins).

We've done a number of cruises with our two kids along. The most economical way to cruise is to just book a basic inside cabin for four. The kids love climbing into the upper bunks on either side of the wall and we still get our beds pushed together to make one big one. It's just like a normal room except at night when you pull out the overhead bunks.;) My husband is 6'6" and this works well for us since the only time we really spend in the room is at night.

At 10, these girls will probably be quite self sufficient. I imagine you can even take an afternoon nap without a disturbance. They will most likely be out and about absorbing all of the sights and sounds. I doubt this is something they've ever done or even dreamed of doing.

We've cruised on Royal Caribbean with our kids and had a basic inside cabin and it was just fine. We really enjoyed the Rhapsody of the Seas, it was a great ship. You'll like Royal Caribbean, they have a great kids program.:)

My wife and I have cruised 7 times, never with kids, but we now have 2 foster kids. 2- 10 yr. old twin girls to be exact. So I guess my question is what would be the most ecomomical way to book. I would like to go with Royal Caribbean. Thanks is advance for the help.

not to throw a wrench into your plans but can you take foster kids on a cruise?

We have taken our kids on all of our vacations! we took a cruise in November to Mexico and booked Carnival. They kept our kids sooo busy that we had to ask them to have dinner with us! They are 11 and 7! We booked again for August and did Carnival again for the same reason! Camp Carnival is great! The counselors are exceptional and the program keeps them busy! They meet kids their own age and see them on shore excursions and have fun there, too! There are also water slides on Carnival that are so much fun! Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time and so will the kids!

When I booked AOS for September I was having problems getting a room for 4. The idiot at the computer didn't know what she was doing I guess (me). It ended up being about the same price to get 2 adjoining cabins (interlocking doors). Now we will have 2 bathrooms! You just have to book one child w/ you and the other w/ DH for the reservations. We will just leave the door open so it will be like one room (just bigger;) ). Hope that helps.

Which cruise line do you "seasoned" folks suggest for teens? I was interested in RCCL but TA is suggesting Princess. We plan to go to Alaska next year and I am totally confused. Please help!!!!!

Myrtle

For Alaska- I would picked the Princess. Crnival, Royal and PRincess does good programs for kids. SHe probably wants to sell you Princess because it costs more.

Before you book check out airfares on what they could cost. I found that taking an alasak cruise my airfare cost more then the cruise itself.

That is a good question, but when I got some brochures from a travel agent she said she had booked some foster kids on a cruise, I have asked their case worker and she is checking on it for me, so I might be trying to put the cart before the horse. I liked the idea of the inside cabin with the two upper pull out bunks, my wife and I have been in a room like that before. We also have sailed on Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Sea and really liked it. Does anyone know if you have to pay full price for the 2 extra kids in the room? Thanks to everyone for their help.

Most of the time the kids are about half price or less. :) Of course the cruise lines call them 3rd and 4th passengers and they don't technically have to be kids. I have 4 girlfriends who all went on a cruise together and they shared the same cabin. These are all grown women over the age of 30 and everyone enjoyed the cabin. They got a basic inside cabin that is made to fit 4 people. That is what our family of 4 gets every time we cruise. It is definitely cheaper than getting 2 inside cabins side by side where you have to pay full fare for all 4 of you. The family suites, balcony cabins, and other types of cabins are all more expensive. They have more room but you have to pay for it. With an inside cabin made for 4 people, the 2 extra people pay about half price which is great. It is really the cheapest way to travel, especially for a family of 4 on a budget. I would love to get a family suite or something fancier, but it's just too expensive for us.:(

That is a good question, but when I got some brochures from a travel agent she said she had booked some foster kids on a cruise, I have asked their case worker and she is checking on it for me, so I might be trying to put the cart before the horse. I liked the idea of the inside cabin with the two upper pull out bunks, my wife and I have been in a room like that before. We also have sailed on Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Sea and really liked it. Does anyone know if you have to pay full price for the 2 extra kids in the room? Thanks to everyone for their help.

The first 2 people in a room will pay full fare, and then any other people in the room will pay a discounted fare. So if you 1 inside that fits four people you'll pay full fare for the 2 adults and a discounted fare for the 2 kids. But if you get 2 rooms, you'll end up paying full fare for all 4 of you. The inside room for 4 is really roomy and is well laid out. I had one on my last cruise.

Having worked in the foster system in my public school system, it will be a lot of work on your part to take the girls on a cruise. You must either get permission from the courts or you must have a notorized signed consent form from both biological parents giving you permission to take the girls out of the country--and from experience, unless the parents have given up their parental rights, or if the courts have permanently terminated their parental rights, it will be a matter of a lot of paperwork for you. We were trying to arrange a trip for our classes, and we had a few foster kids in our program, and it was a lot of jumping through hoops just getting permission to take them out of the state for our trip.

As for the cost issue, there are many cruise lines who's cabins can easily accommodate 4. RCCI, Carnival, Princess and most other mass market lines have quad cabins. But, book early because most cruise lines also limit the number of quad cabins they can sell. The girls will only have to pay the third person fares, which can be as low as $300 or less a person.

• 1 year later...
We are cruising with a 2 yo and an 8 yo. on Carnival Conquest. I know it will be more room with a balcony, but will an inside room be too small?

depends on what you are looking for. sailing with a 2 year old I would need a balcony for escape time when the child needed a nap-- or to bed early some evenings.

We are cruising with a 2 yo and an 8 yo. on Carnival Conquest. I know it will be more room with a balcony, but will an inside room be too small?

It's not really the extra room INSIDE the cabin that the balcony rooms give you, it the room OUTSIDE the cabin. :D

An inside on carnival is not too small. But I've been in an OV with a 2 year old and the hardest thing to get her to do was to fall asleep with me in the same room.

It's much easier to lay them down and continue your night of peace and relaxation out on the balcony.

Archived