Need help, Whittier to Denali. I think I screwed up.

makentake

Just booked the Coral for 3 couples on June 5th. I did not realize you cannot take the train on your own from Whittier to Denali and I cannot find pricing for the Princess train. Is our only option to go to Anchorage and wait until the next day to take the train? How do you get to Anchorage? I had it all planned from Seward but ended up switching to Princess from HAL. Any suggestions? Thanks

We used a company called Alaskan Leopard Comedy Tours. They had small vans that held about 12 people. Can't remember the cost, because it was a few years ago, but at they time thought it was reasonable. Made a short stop at an animal rescue center.

Ok, the railroad picks people up in Whittier in the afternoon so that cruise ship people can take tours, etc.

THe Denali train leaves in the morning. SO, no, there is no way to take a train from Whittier directly to Denali.

Whittier is about 90 miles south east from Anchorage. On a good day you can drive it in about 2 hours. Denali is about 300 miles northwest from Anchorage. On a good day it can take 6 hours to drive there.

People don't realize just how big Alaska is. To drive from Whittier to Denali is about a 9 hour trip-without breaks.

My advise is to plan on spending a night in Anchorage after leaving Whittier and then take the train to Denali the next day.

Car services are also available, but none will take you from Whittier directly to Denali that I am aware of.

You should also check the Alaska board here to see what the regulars over there will say.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

We booked our transfers and Denali stay independently through Alaska Tour and Travel. Bus transfer to Denali with a three hour stop in Anchorage/tickets to the museum included. Lodging in Denali (not in the Glitter Gulch area) on the Nenana river--lovely. Train back to Anchorage in Gray Line/HAL dome cars.

I personally think the train from Whittier to Denali is way too long on a train.

You might look at booking a tour after you get off the ship that includes a Glacier cruise or other stops into Anchorage. Spend the night that night in Anchorage and grab the 8am (I think that was the time) train to Denali the next morning. That way you'll be rested and relaxed for the ride and that first evening there.

Or you could book the Glacier cruise yourself from Whittier and then grab the evening train on Alaska RR to Anchorage. Then spend the night and get up in the morning for the other train.

You CAN book the train directly from Anchorage with Princess at Princesslodges.com. this will include the hotel stay also. Otherwise, you can book it with Alaska Railroad.

I did the reverse--I flew to Anchorage, stayed over night. Then booked with princess lodges and grabbed the train the morning. When we came back to Anchorage (via motor coach) we stayed that evening in Anchorage and grabbed the morning train from Alaska RR to Whittier. That was wonderful as we arrived before most of the Princess passengers. Easy embarking and were able to relax on board for most the afternoon before the evening train from Denali arrived.

On my last trip we did not do the land portion and went NB. We arrived in Whittier and rented a one way car to Anchorage. Their drop off fee is crazy high (total rental was nearly $300 for one day)...but there were 4 of us and 2 were staying overnight in Anchorage so this was more economical than taking a tour.

you are correct .... you will need to overnight in Anc and catch a train to Denali the following day. The train has only one departure per day so it's very restrictive.

http://www.alaskarailroad.com/

If you have limited time and must get to Denali the same day, why not drive? A car gives you much more flexibility with your time, plus the ability to make other stops for sightseeing or wildlife viewing.

If driving isn't an option, use the Park Connection Bus. They have service to Whittier on cruise ship days which is timed to catch their 3pm bus Anc to Denali. Then catch the train back.

http://alaskacoach.com/schedule.html

you are correct .... you will need to overnight in Anc and catch a train to Denali the following day. The train has only one departure per day so it's very restrictive.

http://www.alaskarailroad.com/

If you have limited time and must get to Denali the same day, why not drive? A car gives you much more flexibility with your time, plus the ability to make other stops for sightseeing or wildlife viewing.

If driving isn't an option, use the Park Connection Bus. They have service to Whittier on cruise ship days which is timed to catch their 3pm bus Anc to Denali. Then catch the train back.

http://alaskacoach.com/schedule.html

We took the Parks Connection Bus this summer from Seward. [also took the train one-way]. The bus is a long, and mostly boring ride. It does not provide the comfort of the train. However, it will get you from point A to B faster than the train.

The train has open air platforms in each car so you can get really good views. Also, it goes about 45 miles an hour so you are not zipping by the sitghts.

Since you are still so far out I hope you do not have your return airline ticket so you can inclide an extra night.

If open to driving, I would consider renting a car in Anchorage. It would give you a lot more flexibility once you got to Denali, plus you can make stops along the way to Denali. However, finding a vehicle to hold 6 people and all their luggage could be challenging unless you are all light packers. I know we had five adults in a mini-van and it was tight, but two of the people packed heavy.

If you love scenery, you could take a Prince William Sound Glacier Tour and then take the train or bus transfer from Whitter. The two vendors in Whittier sell package deals that include transportation to Anchorage. You really have lots of options.

Archived