Queen Mary 2 Waitlist

vissi877

Hi everyone,

this is my first post on these forums. I hope this is the correct place to post this. I am waitlisted on the QM2 cruise from Adelaide to Fremantle departing on the 23rd March 2013 (it is a short 3 night leg of the 2013 world cruise). I waited too long to book and it has since sold out. Does anyone have any experience with QM2 waiting lists? I am not fussed with the cabin type as long as I get on to the ship somehow. There are queens suites still available but they are way above my price range.

Basically I would like to know what my chances would be to get onto this particular cruise.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi everyone,

this is my first post on these forums. I hope this is the correct place to post this. I am waitlisted on the QM2 cruise from Adelaide to Fremantle departing on the 23rd March 2013 (it is a short 3 night leg of the 2013 world cruise). I waited too long to book and it has since sold out. Does anyone have any experience with QM2 waiting lists? I am not fussed with the cabin type as long as I get on to the ship somehow. There are queens suites still available but they are way above my price range.

Basically I would like to know what my chances would be to get onto this particular cruise.

There are normally passengers who cancel at the last minute which would obviously help you, I suggest that you contact your travel agent or Cunard if you booked direct and ask them where you are on the wait list as the passengers are taken in strict order based on when they booked and their numerical position on the list. Good luck.

Hi everyone,

It all depends on the length of the list. Possibly, if you've never sailed Cunard they may move to to the front of the list(hoping to secure another fan!)

Hi everyone,

three days?? bugger...hardly enough time to walk from one bar to another! but what a great introduction if you get on. I managed to get another guest into my stateroom for sydney to freemantle so fingers crossed for you.

Hi guys, thanks for all the help. I'm now booked! I decided to book one of their last remaining Queen Suites. The nerves were eating away at me too much. Yes it was expensive, but I've heard so much about the grill and how fantastic it is. What an introduction to Cunard Line for a first timer.

Has anyone else experienced the grills? What are they like?

I'm already jittery with excitement! :D

Hi guys, thanks for all the help. I'm now booked! I decided to book one of their last remaining Queen Suites. The nerves were eating away at me too much. Yes it was expensive, but I've heard so much about the grill and how fantastic it is. What an introduction to Cunard Line for a first timer.

In a word - wonderful. The Grills restaurant have an à la carte menu (in addition to the nightly menu) with lots more options. They also welcome special requests, provided you give them enough notice. Both of the restaurants are open seating so you can eat whenever you wish (during the restaurant opening hours of course) and take as long as you like. You'll also get the same waitstaff for breakfast, lunch and dinner which really helps them to get to know your preferences and anticipate your requests.

Because you're in the Grills you'll get

• Priority boarding.
  • Use of the Grills concierge on deck 9. Expect a call from them to see how you're settling in. They can help you with disembarkation enquiries and shore tours. They also keep aside tickets to the planetarium, which means you don't need to wait in line for them or anything. They have daily newspapers from around the world and tea/coffee and food (should you really need it).
  • Access to the Queens Grill lounge. Coffee is free here (the real kind - cappuccino etc) and this is where you'll enjoy afternoon tea at 15:30. They have a wider selection of goodies at afternoon tea than in the Queens Room and because there are less people it's a more relaxed atmosphere. Plus the ratio of staff to passengers in high so you will rarely wait for anything. This bar is where you should meet for drinks before dinner. After dinner they sometimes have muscians and singers doing after dinner shows.
  • Access to the Grills deck on deck 11. During the day they come around with fresh fruit & icecream and sandwiches should you care for some. There is always staff on hand for drink orders etc. Very nice spot to watch the sailway party.

I've only done Princess Grill so far (Queens Grill soon in Feb 2013) so I don't know how the whole butler deal works. I've been in a few Queens Grill suites (cheeky private tours during port days) and they look very nice.

You're going to have a wonderful time, so make the most of it.

You should have a blast. Do feel free to order off menu for items you don't see(give a day notice,please)As to the butler.. For you & Whitemarsh..ahhh you're both in for a treat! Whitey will find much more willingness of the staff to satisfy his culinary wishes in the Queens Grill, than even the Princess Grill. Some butlers do vary in what they "offer". There is packing & unpacking services(you need to request it)we chose not to ask for it. You have a nicely stocked bar in your suite. You'll have a list of spirits to choose from.On my request, our butler Lily provided Caviar on a daily basis. Some butlers are less willing, I've noticed. If you have any problems do bring it (politely) to the purser's attention. While doing tea in the Grills lounge, the staff likes to just pour any old tea they may be carrying in their pot. There IS a tea menu..DO USE IT!! the menu has much better tea than the standard English breakfast teas & such. The Grills Terrace is a nice place to relax & read a book or as Whitey says take in the sailaway party.They may ask to see your card. We quite saw a few pax get the boot if they didn't have a grills room card(especially the French!)The staff nearly had to call security one day. It should be much fun..and do let us know how it went.

Thank you for all your help and suggestions. As bphman pointed out I may find myself unwilling to travel Britannia on future cruises. (Which may or may not be a bad thing! :p.) I will definitely let you all know how I find my first trip with Cunard. I'm looking forward to it!

Thank you for all your help and suggestions. As bphman pointed out I may find myself unwilling to travel Britannia on future cruises. (Which may or may not be a bad thing! :p.) I will definitely let you all know how I find my first trip with Cunard. I'm looking forward to it!

If you do Britannia in the future(we do both Britannia & the Grills)the Britannia Club is a great way to go as well. Smaller Al a Carte menu than the Grills(about 75% of what Princess Grill offers)but still a nice trip.

If you do Britannia in the future(we do both Britannia & the Grills)the Britannia Club is a great way to go as well. Smaller Al a Carte menu than the Grills(about 75% of what Princess Grill offers)but still a nice trip.

I'm really looking forward to trying Britannia Club at some point. It's a shame it's not available on all three Cunard ships - something Cunard perhaps regrets now.

I'm really looking forward to trying Britannia Club at some point. It's a shame it's not available on all three Cunard ships - something Cunard perhaps regrets now.

I wish they had it on QV. We would have booked that definately. I kind of call it Princess Grill 101. It's much more romantic on the QE, as you're not in a small walled off area of the main restaurant. We checked it out on the QM2 & it was pretty noisy compared to the Grills. I feel you'll really enjoy your Queens Grill suite on your Feb. trip. I found the staff far more willing to allow us to venture off menu than in Princess Grill. The funniest time was requesting a "Scotch Egg" at lunch. I was really surprised when the staff was not to familar with it. The next day's lunch 2 eggs arrived at our table.. the only problem was they were the size of an Emu egg!. I guess they really weren't too knowledgable about how much ground sausage to wrap around the egg. It still tasted spot on,though.The one thing I did like about Princess Grill, was that it was a bit smaller in size, so a little bit more intimate than Queens Grill.

I wish they had it on QV. We would have booked that definately. I kind of call it Princess Grill 101. It's much more romantic on the QE, as you're not in a small walled off area of the main restaurant. We checked it out on the QM2 & it was pretty noisy compared to the Grills. I feel you'll really enjoy your Queens Grill suite on your Feb. trip. I found the staff far more willing to allow us to venture off menu than in Princess Grill. The funniest time was requesting a "Scotch Egg" at lunch. I was really surprised when the staff was not to familar with it. The next day's lunch 2 eggs arrived at our table.. the only problem was they were the size of an Emu egg!. I guess they really weren't too knowledgable about how much ground sausage to wrap around the egg. It still tasted spot on,though.The one thing I did like about Princess Grill, was that it was a bit smaller in size, so a little bit more intimate than Queens Grill.

I've been in a couple of Queens Grill suites so I know what to expect. With regards to the Queens Grill restaurant, as long as I am not seated near the entrance I will be happy.

I am curious to see to what extent they will go to accommodate off-menu requests. The only thing I plan to order off-menu is a pavlova for dessert. I ordered one in the Princess Grill but it wasn't a real pavlova, just an attempt to approximate one. I am curious to see if they will be able to accommodate - and fulfil - my request in the Queens Grill.

I've been in a couple of Queens Grill suites so I know what to expect. With regards to the Queens Grill restaurant, as long as I am not seated near the entrance I will be happy.

I am curious to see to what extent they will go to accommodate off-menu requests. The only thing I plan to order off-menu is a pavlova for dessert. I ordered one in the Princess Grill but it wasn't a real pavlova, just an attempt to approximate one. I am curious to see if they will be able to accommodate - and fulfil - my request in the Queens Grill.

My spouse, Richard is a pastry chef & ordered the Pavlova one time. It was good, but not what a true Pavlova should be. When the pastry chef gave demonstrations on QV, Richard really rolled his eyes. I tried to explain that the lecture was for "Suzy Homemaker" types & not a true pastry chef. We found the Queens Grill staff more willing than Princess Grill staff to accomodate off menu requests. I think it has a lot to do with the cost of the Queens Grill being quite a bit more. The staff in the Queens Grill were really hot, too. Some of those Romanian guys were nice bits of eye candy.

You'll have a great time. The Grills experience is really wonderful. The staff are quick to remember your name and your preferences and they are very attentive. If there is a problem, it is quickly resolved.

Just returned from PG on the QM2 holiday cruise and I'm really missing it.

You'll have a great time. The Grills experience is really wonderful. The staff are quick to remember your name and your preferences and they are very attentive. If there is a problem, it is quickly resolved.

Just returned from PG on the QM2 holiday cruise and I'm really missing it.

Who were your waiters?

Archived