Booking a room and using your IPad

SoBaycruiser

As most of you know, the iPad and other Apple products do not support the Adobe Flash Player. (Yes I know there are ways around it, but the average Joe blow doesn't know how). Unfortunately, the Princess website relies heavily on the Flash Player. I am really disappointed that their new web design continues to use it so heavily.

Anyway, I've been hearing how great the new design is for choosing a room. I didn't see any difference. I only saw 6 rooms offered per category. Then a friend on our current roll call told me about the ship map and available rooms. It turns out that iPad doesn't get the ship map but defaults to the old method... but also they don't tell you that they are using the old method. So if one just uses their iPad, they don't know that there is a better way to see availability.

So if you have a non-Apple product, use it when booking your rooms.

PS to Princess: add a line on our website "for a better view of availability use a device with Adobe Flash Player"

Unfortunately, the Princess website relies heavily on the Flash Player. I am really disappointed that their new web design continues to use it so heavily.

In response to your post, I gave it a try on my iPhone 5.

I was able to enter information to find and book a cruise. I got all the way to where I would have had to enter my personal information.

I'm not saying the entire site would be available on an iOS device, but you can certainly search for and book a cruise.

Lew

I looked for the same cruise in 2014 from both my iMac and my iPhone. Each were the same up to the point of selecting a cabin. Safari on the iMac took me to the screen to choose which part of the ship then shows which cabins are available and which are sold while Safari on the iPhone took me to a screen to choose cabin category and then only showed 6 choices. Huh. I know I'm sending and email off to Princess and if others do the same than just maybe they'll fix .,. it like maybe put out an app for the iPhone / iPad?

There are some parts of the Princess website which aren't accessible on an iPhone or iPad. Very frustrating. You can't see any of the deck plans and maybe it's just me but I can't access shore excursions for my cruises. It surprises me when a major company's website isn't compatible with Apple phones and tablets. I use either my iPhone or iPad constantly, and my computer (MacBook Pro) maybe every other day.

There are some parts of the Princess website which aren't accessible on an iPhone or iPad. Very frustrating. You can't see any of the deck plans and maybe it's just me but I can't access shore excursions for my cruises. It surprises me when a major company's website isn't compatible with Apple phones and tablets. I use either my iPhone or iPad constantly, and my computer (MacBook Pro) maybe every other day.

Pam,

I agree totally. It's frustrating enough when they don't let you see the deck plans, etc, with an IPad. However, when they give you the old method of booking without letting you know there is more info available on other devices, that was maddening. I've read that many companies are moving away from using the Flash Player since are good substitutes now available that are compatible with the iPad. Princess should realize they could be losing business by not making their site user friendly.

I too am on my iPad all the time and only use my desktop when doing something major. Princess is missing the boat on this.

As most of you know, the iPad and other Apple products do not support the Adobe Flash Player. (Yes I know there are ways around it, but the average Joe blow doesn't know how). Unfortunately, the Princess website relies heavily on the Flash Player. I am really disappointed that their new web design continues to use it so heavily.

Anyway, I've been hearing how great the new design is for choosing a room. I didn't see any difference. I only saw 6 rooms offered per category. Then a friend on our current roll call told me about the ship map and available rooms. It turns out that iPad doesn't get the ship map but defaults to the old method... but also they don't tell you that they are using the old method. So if one just uses their iPad, they don't know that there is a better way to see availability.

So if you have a non-Apple product, use it when booking your rooms.

PS to Princess: add a line on our website "for a better view of availability use a device with Adobe Flash Player"

Dear Apple:

Please put a note on your products that they are not compatible with many websites which use an Adobe Flash Player.

Better yet, Apple, please develop and embed a compatible version of Adobe Flash so the devices are compatible - that's called Customer Service !!!

Glad to see this blog...I thought it was just me. Keep trying to look at shore excursions for our April cruise, but not possible on my iPad! Now I know it is not just my computer ignorance!! But it is still a hassle to get on my slow laptop:(

Dear Apple:

Please put a note on your products that they are not compatible with many websites which use an Adobe Flash Player.

Better yet, Apple, please develop and embed a compatible version of Adobe Flash so the devices are compatible - that's called Customer Service !!!

Not going to happen. Mostly because there are better and newer ways to build websites. Flash is old technology. Why go backwards?

On the other hand, many companies have mobile versions (not apps) that are Flash-free. That would be a good option.

I agree. I haven't tried to book a cruise using my iPad, but I have tried to see the shore excursions that are available. They never come up. Princess should bring its web site up to date for everyone to use.

Archived