QE 2 a sad end

southwestie

I will boldly attempt to offer my opinion on QE2 vs QM2.

My experience is 14 days sailing on QE2 and 21 on QM2 starting in 1979 through 2010.

I would have to agree with pepper that other than top speed, QM2 is the superior ship, and even on this point it must be remembered that Cunard choose to run QM2 at embarrassing low speeds to save fuel, she is technically capable of coming within 3-4 knots of QE2's maximum.

I agree with Louise that QM2 is far more stable, I recall really being thrown around on QE2's 3 Deck on a transatlantic in heavy weather.

I believe that our collective fond remembrances of QE2 as the "better" ship are not so much on a technological basis, but on an emotional basis for her graceful good looks and the many intangibles that are no longer quite the same on QM2. For me anyway, these could include the British crew, silver service for meals, the Columbia/Caronia restaurant category, the 5-6 night crossing,etc.

But taken as a cold steel piece of hardware, QM2 is a modern masterpiece second to none. She may not be perfect, but she certainly meets the definition of an ocean liner, albeit like QE2 before her one that is also

a contemporary cruise ship.

Agree as well, I was fortunate to have sailed QE2 twice and it was a great experience, but I'd be hard pressed to choose her over QM2 based on comfort and facilities. I've been through some strong storms on QM2 and she handled them better than QE2, also my head doesnt hit the ceiling on a treadmill on QM2 (that QE2 spa was awful!)

In Maxtone-Graham's "The Only Way to Cross" as passenger is quoted as saying that the Aquitania smelled of "soap, flowers, and the sea".

I've always considered that applicable to QE2 as well.

It sounds nutty, but every now and then when I'm doing the washing up in the kitchen, a whiff of the dish soap will take me back to QE2.

I know, I know... :rolleyes:

The QE2 was and will always remain for me a place, a state of mind, a way of travel that disappeared forever when she was retired in 2009. Yes there are other great ships, and there are many wondrous things offered on other Cunard ships and other cruise lines that she could not hope to offer.

But she was the first ship I ever sailed on, the date was May 9, 1969, it was her maiden eastbound crossing from NY. Good fortune had smiled upon me for I got to be my grandmother's companion on this sailing. Engine problems had delayed their earlier planned sailing and by the time the maiden voyage arrived, my grandfather, an attorney, was in the middle of a trial and could not leave. So there I was at the age of 14 on this amazing ship, in a big first class cabin on deck 1 (that's what Grandma called it as she thought it silly to call your class by the name of your dining venue). I even saved a clipping from the NY Times announcing it's maiden eastbound departure.

In the early years the ship had a tailor on board to do alterations and repairs---which saved my grandmother from taking me into dinner in a suit rather than a tuxedo, which we bought and had altered on board in 12 hours. I remember being instructed on the roles of all the different staff members in the dining room. In those days the page boys doubled as bread, water & condiment stewards, all warm dishes arrived with silver covers, the flatware was real silver. Caviar and foie gras could be ordered every night, at no extra charge, if you didn't see something on the menu, you could have it cooked to order, from lobster to Dover Sole and many of the entrees were finished and plated at table side. The first run movies that were currently playing in the theaters ran every night on the ship. There were two complete dance orchestras so while the musicians took breaks, the music never stopped. It was a good thing that back in those days boys took ballroom dancing starting in 4th grade and my grandmother fully expected that I would take my grandfather's place after dinner until at least 11 pm when I would go off to be and she to play bridge until 2 or 3 am.

I remember meeting some British boy who was my age and he had his two dogs aboard (the ship had dedicated kennels) and we spent much time playing and walking his two Scottish Terriers. I also remember they had a full time florist aboard, constantly redoing arrangements throughout the ship and I bought my grandmother a fresh bouquet of roses on Mother's Day with money my Grandfather had given me when he saw us off . . . . And that reminds me that my grandparents gave a party for 20 friends before we sailed . . . in those days you could go on any ship to see people off.

And finally I remember that back in those days, cabins were not modular and massed produced and put into place. Everything was custom, so much was solid cherry and mahogany----so instead of 10-12 cabin types repeated over and over, there were so many one of a kind staterooms. And each of those first class staterooms were cleaned THREE times a day---by the time we returned from breakfast, sometime in mid-afternoon they passed through with fresh towels and ice and then again while you were at dinner.

And best of all I don't remember ever being told no by a staff member nor do I ever remember hearing a passenger be demanding or rude to staff (which happens too often these days).

I was on the QE2 6 more times before it was retired, including 2 more crossings, a Bermuda cruise, a Caribbean cruise, a Canadian cruise and part of a world cruise, from NY to Hawaii.

And while I have had many wonderful cruises on many different ships including QM2, what one got to experience on the QE2, especially in the early years, was unique, magical and exists nowhere today because no cruise line would dare staff and stock a cruise ship at the expense that would be required to replicate those magical years.

The QE2 was and will always remain for me a place, a state of mind, a way of travel that disappeared forever when she was retired in 2009. Yes there are other great ships, and there are many wondrous things offered on other Cunard ships and other cruise lines that she could not hope to offer.

But she was the first ship I ever sailed on, the date was May 9, 1969, it was her maiden eastbound crossing from NY. Good fortune had smiled upon me for I got to be my grandmother's companion on this sailing. Engine problems had delayed their earlier planned sailing and by the time the maiden voyage arrived, my grandfather, an attorney, was in the middle of a trial and could not leave. So there I was at the age of 14 on this amazing ship, in a big first class cabin on deck 1 (that's what Grandma called it as she thought it silly to call your class by the name of your dining venue). I even saved a clipping from the NY Times announcing it's maiden eastbound departure.

In the early years the ship had a tailor on board to do alterations and repairs---which saved my grandmother from taking me into dinner in a suit rather than a tuxedo, which we bought and had altered on board in 12 hours. I remember being instructed on the roles of all the different staff members in the dining room. In those days the page boys doubled as bread, water & condiment stewards, all warm dishes arrived with silver covers, the flatware was real silver. Caviar and foie gras could be ordered every night, at no extra charge, if you didn't see something on the menu, you could have it cooked to order, from lobster to Dover Sole and many of the entrees were finished and plated at table side. The first run movies that were currently playing in the theaters ran every night on the ship. There were two complete dance orchestras so while the musicians took breaks, the music never stopped. It was a good thing that back in those days boys took ballroom dancing starting in 4th grade and my grandmother fully expected that I would take my grandfather's place after dinner until at least 11 pm when I would go off to be and she to play bridge until 2 or 3 am.

I remember meeting some British boy who was my age and he had his two dogs aboard (the ship had dedicated kennels) and we spent much time playing and walking his two Scottish Terriers. I also remember they had a full time florist aboard, constantly redoing arrangements throughout the ship and I bought my grandmother a fresh bouquet of roses on Mother's Day with money my Grandfather had given me when he saw us off . . . . And that reminds me that my grandparents gave a party for 20 friends before we sailed . . . in those days you could go on any ship to see people off.

And finally I remember that back in those days, cabins were not modular and massed produced and put into place. Everything was custom, so much was solid cherry and mahogany----so instead of 10-12 cabin types repeated over and over, there were so many one of a kind staterooms. And each of those first class staterooms were cleaned THREE times a day---by the time we returned from breakfast, sometime in mid-afternoon they passed through with fresh towels and ice and then again while you were at dinner.

And best of all I don't remember ever being told no by a staff member nor do I ever remember hearing a passenger be demanding or rude to staff (which happens too often these days).

I was on the QE2 6 more times before it was retired, including 2 more crossings, a Bermuda cruise, a Caribbean cruise, a Canadian cruise and part of a world cruise, from NY to Hawaii.

And while I have had many wonderful cruises on many different ships including QM2, what one got to experience on the QE2, especially in the early years, was unique, magical and exists nowhere today because no cruise line would dare staff and stock a cruise ship at the expense that would be required to replicate those magical years.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. Your grandmother gave you a great gift and by the way you recounted this special time, you can tell that you very much appreciated her gift and it is now a treasured memory for you.

What a lovely and precious memory!

seasidegal.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. Your grandmother gave you a great gift and by the way you recounted this special time, you can tell that you very much appreciated her gift and it is now a treasured memory for you.

seasidegal.

Thank you for your kind words. She was like an Auntie Mame to me. Took me on my first cruise, my first trip to Europe and Bermuda, my first Broadway show and my first ride on a NYC subway. She was only 44 when I was born, and she forbid me from calling her grandma or anything similar until she turned 70 and even then I continued to call her by her first name, as she had requested, until she turned 90. Every time I board a new cruise, I think of her as I explore a new ship. It is sometimes hard for me to believe she is gone, (9 years now) but she was as sharp as a tack until the day she died at 94 (crediting playing bridge 4 days a week to keeping her sharp and except for her last 3 days I don't think she had ever missed her 5 pm Martini, which she said she started having after my uncle, her youngest child, was born in 1936.

seasidegal.

Seconded

THANK YOU slp123

Thank you, Jim, for posting these links.

How wonderful to see Queen Elizabeth looking so happy as she announced the name of the ship and asked for God's blessing on all those who would travel on the QE2. Both the ship and the Queen are great ladies.

Again, thank you and Happy New Year.

seasidegal

Archived