Back from the 11 day SUN cruise

cacj

We just got back and want to make a quick report that the cruise was a success for us. A much needed rest was what we wanted, and we got it.

If you have any questions, I will check back each day and try to answer them.

Overall, the Sun still has what it takes to enjoy a cruise. While her age is showing here and there, the public areas have a few dings and bruises, nicks and scratches, the crew and Captain are doing all they can to keep her ship shape.

The cabins are beginning to show some infrastructure wear and tear that cannot be remedied without big effort, though. For example, our bathroom floor had surface cracks and the flooring around the shower was soft and felt saggy when stepped on. The sink area was a bit marred, and the mirror was beginning to peel off in the edges behind the glass. And yes, there are places where metal or paint need to be reworked, but no safety issues that we saw. The public areas sparkle, and the promenade deck is always a great place to walk, jog, or enjoy the sea air while at sea or in port. The restaurants look fantastic.

But for us, one of the outstanding spots on the Sun is the Observation Lounge. And we are so happy to report that this area was given its proper place in usage. We enjoyed drinks during Happy Hour (2 for 1) most nights, and enjoyed the different singers and music offered here. We danced and found new friends, and enjoyed sail aways and just sailing and watching from that front location of the ship. It was a fabulous cruise because of this lounge...it gave us a quiet spot to read or chat when we wanted to be out of the cabin, and away from the pool activity and hustle. We cannot say enough about how great the lounge was. We repeat, the music and dancing in the lounge were a very high point of our cruise.

The Love Brothers and Lira often entertained there, and they are a great group. They can sing anything. Cat Wells rotated in and so did others. There were theme music nights, and requests and you name it. And everyone who came in to the Lounge seemed to be having a great time. As the cruise went along, the crowds grew in number for the Happy Hour and for the dancing each night.

Other things were great too. But this is all I have time to write about right now. And Merry Christmas to all.

Thanks for your brief review. I'm booked on this itinerary (well, the 12-night) a little over a year from now and I'm really looking forward to it. Having just been on the Sky for a 4-nighter to the Bahamas, I fell in love with the Sun-class ships. I think they are under appreciated as compared to the Jewel and Dawn classes.

I'm glad to read that they are making full use of the observation lounge. It seems like my experience on the Sky was more focused on Dazzles. Of course, that may have more to do with my 18-year-old niece dragging her uncle to all of the dance parties. :p

Cheers!

We just got back and want to make a quick report that the cruise was a success for us. A much needed rest was what we wanted, and we got it.

If you have any questions, I will check back each day and try to answer them.

Overall, the Sun still has what it takes to enjoy a cruise. While her age is showing here and there, the public areas have a few dings and bruises, nicks and scratches, the crew and Captain are doing all they can to keep her ship shape.

The cabins are beginning to show some infrastructure wear and tear that cannot be remedied without big effort, though. For example, our bathroom floor had surface cracks and the flooring around the shower was soft and felt saggy when stepped on. The sink area was a bit marred, and the mirror was beginning to peel off in the edges behind the glass. And yes, there are places where metal or paint need to be reworked, but no safety issues that we saw. The public areas sparkle, and the promenade deck is always a great place to walk, jog, or enjoy the sea air while at sea or in port. The restaurants look fantastic.

But for us, one of the outstanding spots on the Sun is the Observation Lounge. And we are so happy to report that this area was given its proper place in usage. We enjoyed drinks during Happy Hour (2 for 1) most nights, and enjoyed the different singers and music offered here. We danced and found new friends, and enjoyed sail aways and just sailing and watching from that front location of the ship. It was a fabulous cruise because of this lounge...it gave us a quiet spot to read or chat when we wanted to be out of the cabin, and away from the pool activity and hustle. We cannot say enough about how great the lounge was. We repeat, the music and dancing in the lounge were a very high point of our cruise.

The Love Brothers and Lira often entertained there, and they are a great group. They can sing anything. Cat Wells rotated in and so did others. There were theme music nights, and requests and you name it. And everyone who came in to the Lounge seemed to be having a great time. As the cruise went along, the crowds grew in number for the Happy Hour and for the dancing each night.

Other things were great too. But this is all I have time to write about right now. And Merry Christmas to all.

Welcome home! Glad you had a great time!

Thanks for the review and glad you had a good time. The Sun was my initiation into cruising and I can't wait to be on her again in 2014 for a 10 day Southern Caribbean. We looked at a lot of cruises and ships and both DH and I wanted to go on her at least once more.

We are booked next year for a ten day on the Sun. I knew there was a happy hour in the sports bar each day from 4-6 I believe. You mention a happy hour in the Observation deck. Was this in addition to the one in the sports bar? What time was this offered?

During some football games, I do believe there was a happy hour or two (or three)....since we don't enjoy sports bars much, it wasn't a place we sought out or checked in the dailies, but I do remember seeing at least one announcement during a football game night.

Thanks for the review and glad you had a good time. The Sun was my initiation into cruising and I can't wait to be on her again in 2014 for a 10 day Southern Caribbean. We looked at a lot of cruises and ships and both DH and I wanted to go on her at least once more.

If you enjoyed her way back when, you will definitely enjoy her now. We were on the Sun's inaugural season, and have been on her at least 4 times now. We too enjoy the size of the ship and the promenade.

The Stardust lounge is a bit of a challenge in the balcony and behind the main flooring, as there are some columns that block views. We had to laugh, as a gent from the UK was sitting to the left of one of the columns, near to us, and he was chuckling, because there are seats placed directly behind these columns. The columns block the stage in many ways. Well, anyway, he was having a great laugh, saying "this must be the idiot's seat! Only an idiot would sit here....why do they even bother to put chairs here?" Well, he kept repeating, "the idiot's seat" and laughing. He was infectious, and we found ourselves laughing too and agreeing....yeah, why do you need a seat behind the columns....only an idiot would sit there."

As to the shows, we really enjoyed them. Rick Star, the comedian, did a great job, during his headline and the Liar's Club, and the finale...he was really funny during the finale show.

My DH loves the Liar's Club....all week long...."when is the Liar's Club?" Finally, the daily arrived that announced the schedule and there it was "Liar's Club in Dazzles." We arrived early just so DH could get a close view and enjoy the show. He wasn't disappointed. Vanna was gorgeous! LOL.

We also had a great time watching the crew show, and the revues. While I thought that the Production cast didn't have some of the strong voices we have experienced in the past, I did enjoy their enthusiastic delivery. Rock night is always a great show.

The lounge band Adam's Rib, played a variety of rock and roll, and were okay, but occasionally a bit louder than they needed to be for that small space. Sometimes they seemed happy to have folks in Dazzles dancing and enjoying, and other times they just seemed to be so self absorbed that it seened that it didn't matter if they had anyone participating. But I am thinking that is just rock and rollers.

We totally enjoyed The Love Brothers and Lira.....what a talented group.

The piano bar always had folks enjoying, but we preferred to dance when we heard music, so we didn't stay for any length of time at the piano bar (Windjammer).

We would say that if you don't find anything to like in the entertainment areas on the ship...you don't know how to find your way around the daily or perhaps you need someone to check your pulse :eek:. It was great fun each and every day.

Can you post menus for the MDRs and the dailies? We sail in 22 days! :D

Sorry but I did not photograph menus. But I can try to answer any questions about MDRs for you. I will see if I can scan dailies.

Thanks for your brief review. I'm booked on this itinerary (well, the 12-night) a little over a year from now and I'm really looking forward to it. Having just been on the Sky for a 4-nighter to the Bahamas, I fell in love with the Sun-class ships. I think they are under appreciated as compared to the Jewel and Dawn classes.

I'm glad to read that they are making full use of the observation lounge. It seems like my experience on the Sky was more focused on Dazzles. Of course, that may have more to do with my 18-year-old niece dragging her uncle to all of the dance parties. :p

Cheers!

We're on the 10 night in jan and also on the 12 night in 2014 see you there

What term did you dock at in Miami ,B or

c or other

Since we were not driving, we didn't pay note of Terminal names/numbers, but DH thinks it was Term 1. It was closest to the entrance, he thought.

Edit: Looking at the port map it seems it was B.

Archived