Back from the 11 day SUN cruise

cacj

Hey cacj, Thanks so much for the review and posting the Freestyle Daily(s). BlueJai and I are on this cruise in late February and the excitment is building. We have been on the Sun several times and always love to go back to her.

When on board is has become a habit for me to read the dailies aloud to Jai just prior to going to sleep at night. Yaa, hokey I know. Jai wanted to hear them last night.

Thanks again.

Dan ( who woke up to 6 inches of snow this morning in Southern Ontario, Can)

We are booked next year for a ten day on the Sun. I knew there was a happy hour in the sports bar each day from 4-6 I believe. You mention a happy hour in the Observation deck. Was this in addition to the one in the sports bar? What time was this offered?

Looks like we are on the same cruise! Can't wait. It's snowing here now, roads really bad ... wish I was on that ship now :(

Was on this cruise same time, Dec.16-26, 2012. This was my 9th but second NCL cruise and first NCL for DH, DS, and DD.

The ship is definitely showing signs of age. One of the things I hated most about this ship was the very small bathroom and teeny tiny shower with the cloth shower curtain always sticking to me even with the weights at the bottom. My daughter had the pleasure of hearing me cursing it every night. :) The two soap dispensers were awkardly placed. Shaving legs, almost impossible. :mad:

Our family opinion was the evening meals in both dining rooms were just so so. Not bad but nothing to get excited about either. We felt their signature cheese cake was the best dessert overall. There were a couple of other good ones but you could always count on cheesecake being good. The daily buffet was decent and hardly any lines to speak of, plenty of locations to choose from which was nice. We don't do special restaurants so can't speak of those but heard good reviews about a couple mentioned but didn't pay attention to which ones since it wasn't an issure for us.

My son loved hanging out in the Observation Lounge with his Surface with it's great view. I passed thru a couple of times and did notice it to be a nice place to just chill during sea days.

Pool band, Titanium, was pretty good with its Caribbean influence. They tried hard to get audience participation but at times very difficult. Denis the piano man was enjoyable to listen to. Only heard Cat Wells one time poolside and she too was good and enjoyable, kinda folk style music. The only group we didn't care at all for was Adam's Rib. They were often off key and pretty bad sounding. The cruise singers and dancer's were very good and we enjoyed all their performances that we saw.

The cruise director, JC, was awesome and very visible as well as his staff. He even sang and has a very nice voice. For those of you that did the Dawn this last Feb., Alvin (karaoke) is now with the Sun. He too is awesome and so much fun. The hypnotist, TerranceB, from Dawn was on the Sun - not sure his schedule or how his rotation works. Who doesn't love a hypnosis show? :D Greg the magician was OK. Overheard he's had better shows. I wasn't too impressed or amused with Rick Starr the comedian. I felt he thought he was funnier and more amused with himself - however, there were a few times he was entertaining. We did a little too much partying and didn't get to see the Cirque du Soleil show but heard great reviews. Overall, I think the entertainment was really good and some of the best we've seen, of what we saw. There were plenty of daily activities that should keep you from getting bored.

Because of age demographics for this particular cruise, chair hogging wasn't an issue. You could "CH" all you wanted, not that I'm promoting it. ;) There's a nice basketball/volleyball court right above the pool area that allowed for observing (in case you wanted to watch kids playing games from pool decks or vice versa). The net enclosed ping pong tables are in same area as bb court but off to the side as well as shuffleboard.

The decor on the ship is lacking, in MY opinion. One guy at front desk is a real ass but everyone else was nice and friendly to deal with. Our cabin steward, Al, was great and always greeted us with a smile and called us each by our names every time. He was awesome at meeting our request and handling some plumbing issues. No matter the time of day when we'd leave our room, when we'd come back it would be tiddy.

Overall our time on the ship was OK. However with that said, not sure I would seek out this ship or it's class for future cruises unless it was just an awesome, too good to pass up, best deal ever cruise. Nothing to do at all with Captain, ship staff, or entertainment. I just wasn't that excitied about this ship, and did I mention the shower. :eek: Also, just MY opinion, but the food was just so so. I'm afraid this is more of a changing of the times thing and food quality just isn't going to be what it use to be unless you want to pay extra for the speciality restaurants. I think cruise lines should go back and provide good quality and great meals, especially dining room meals that everyone can enjoy but unfortunatley, it's probably never going to happen. Oh well, won't keep me from cruising. :)

Was on this cruise same time, Dec.16-26, 2012. This was my 9th but second NCL cruise and first NCL for DH, DS, and DD.

The ship is definitely showing signs of age. One of the things I hated most about this ship was the very small bathroom and teeny tiny shower with the cloth shower curtain always sticking to me even with the weights at the bottom. My daughter had the pleasure of hearing me cursing it every night. :) The two soap dispensers were awkardly placed. Shaving legs, almost impossible. :mad:

Our family opinion was the evening meals in both dining rooms were just so so. Not bad but nothing to get excited about either. We felt their signature cheese cake was the best dessert overall. There were a couple of other good ones but you could always count on cheesecake being good. The daily buffet was decent and hardly any lines to speak of, plenty of locations to choose from which was nice. We don't do special restaurants so can't speak of those but heard good reviews about a couple mentioned but didn't pay attention to which ones since it wasn't an issure for us.

My son loved hanging out in the Observation Lounge with his Surface with it's great view. I passed thru a couple of times and did notice it to be a nice place to just chill during sea days.

Pool band, Titanium, was pretty good with its Caribbean influence. They tried hard to get audience participation but at times very difficult. Denis the piano man was enjoyable to listen to. Only heard Cat Wells one time poolside and she too was good and enjoyable, kinda folk style music. The only group we didn't care at all for was Adam's Rib. They were often off key and pretty bad sounding. The cruise singers and dancer's were very good and we enjoyed all their performances that we saw.

The cruise director, JC, was awesome and very visible as well as his staff. He even sang and has a very nice voice. For those of you that did the Dawn this last Feb., Alvin (karaoke) is now with the Sun. He too is awesome and so much fun. The hypnotist, TerranceB, from Dawn was on the Sun - not sure his schedule or how his rotation works. Who doesn't love a hypnosis show? :D Greg the magician was OK. Overheard he's had better shows. I wasn't too impressed or amused with Rick Starr the comedian. I felt he thought he was funnier and more amused with himself - however, there were a few times he was entertaining. We did a little too much partying and didn't get to see the Cirque du Soleil show but heard great reviews. Overall, I think the entertainment was really good and some of the best we've seen, of what we saw. There were plenty of daily activities that should keep you from getting bored.

Because of age demographics for this particular cruise, chair hogging wasn't an issue. You could "CH" all you wanted, not that I'm promoting it. ;) There's a nice basketball/volleyball court right above the pool area that allowed for observing (in case you wanted to watch kids playing games from pool decks or vice versa). The net enclosed ping pong tables are in same area as bb court but off to the side as well as shuffleboard.

The decor on the ship is lacking, in MY opinion. One guy at front desk is a real ass but everyone else was nice and friendly to deal with. Our cabin steward, Al, was great and always greeted us with a smile and called us each by our names every time. He was awesome at meeting our request and handling some plumbing issues. No matter the time of day when we'd leave our room, when we'd come back it would be tiddy.

Overall our time on the ship was OK. However with that said, not sure I would seek out this ship or it's class for future cruises unless it was just an awesome, too good to pass up, best deal ever cruise. Nothing to do at all with Captain, ship staff, or entertainment. I just wasn't that excitied about this ship, and did I mention the shower. :eek: Also, just MY opinion, but the food was just so so. I'm afraid this is more of a changing of the times thing and food quality just isn't going to be what it use to be unless you want to pay extra for the speciality restaurants. I think cruise lines should go back and provide good quality and great meals, especially dining room meals that everyone can enjoy but unfortunatley, it's probably never going to happen. Oh well, won't keep me from cruising. :)

Re: food. Food costs have increased substantially in past few years and it seems to me that just about all the mainsteam lines, and perhaps luxuty lines to have extent, have had to counter with cutbacks in quality. Otherwise, to expect the cuisine of the grand old days of cruising the lines would need to increase the base cost. For those which desire more than average hotel banquet food there are upgrade options at a cost.

I find it ironic there is a current thread that follows the cruise mentality of "eat all you can and then again" where that writer talks of going to both MDR for multiple lobster dinners on the same night. That sums up the majority of cruisers dining motives who want to eat to their hearts content while on vacation.

Now, stay with me... What if cruise lines did away with this "all you can eat" model, maybe the qualiry issue could be more easily addressed. But it seems to most cruisers expect and want quality and quantity of food and low fares.

Those of us who cruised in the 1980's who still have our receipts can attest cruise fares have not increased with inflation to cover the increases in food costs to keep up with the comparable menus.

So NCL offers alternative options for specialty dining, including a chef's table. I for one will continue to take advantage to those as well as the suite brrakfast and lunch upgrade.

I hear you, GolferGal2. My DH isn't a big fan of the shower curtain, either. But for me, I didn't have any of those issues, and I think it sometimes matters whether there is a strong draft under the door when you shower if the curtain becomes an entanglement. It is a small space though. Another item in that bathroom is the vaccuum-like hair dryer over the toilet...totally gross. Anyone traveling to the Sun should bring their own dryer or ask the steward to provide a hand held.

As for food in MDR, we only had one meal that was so-so. The Mahi Mahi was a bit overcooked (well, truthfully, it was like rubber.) But the salmon and chicken and port dishes that we tasted were very good, and hot and done to our tastes. We don't overseason our food, so occasionally something would be a bit salty to our tastes, but surely edible.

We did try the specialty restaurants. We went to Il Adagio twice, and thoroughly enjoyed our meals and service. Overindulged a bit there. We went to East Meets West, and while it was good, it certainly wasn't worth the $25 cover to us, so we never went back. For $25, I think one should at least get one glass of house wine included. We went to Le Bistro, and it too was good, but DH was truly disappointed in the Bouillabaise....he regretted his order. My filet mignon was perfect.

We did go to the buffet a couple of days during the day, and it was fine. Loved the salad bar and also enjoyed the pizza station in Moderno.

We don't cruise to stuff ourselves with food, but dining is certainly one of the enjoyable things a cruise offers, and we prefer that the meals be perfect of course, but have room for an occasional miss or disappointment.

We actually found the MDR menus were quite varied and offered good choices.

Hey cacj, Thanks so much for the review and posting the Freestyle Daily(s). BlueJai and I are on this cruise in late February and the excitment is building. We have been on the Sun several times and always love to go back to her.

When on board is has become a habit for me to read the dailies aloud to Jai just prior to going to sleep at night. Yaa, hokey I know. Jai wanted to hear them last night.

Thanks again.

Dan ( who woke up to 6 inches of snow this morning in Southern Ontario, Can)

Well, Dan...here are the daily schedule pages with which you can lull Jai to sleep tonight. Enjoy!:)

Sched Day 1.pdf

Sched Day 2.pdf

Sched Day 3.pdf

Sched Day 4.pdf

Sched Day 5.pdf

Sched Day 6.pdf

Sched Day 7.pdf

Sched Day 8.pdf

Sched Day 9.pdf

Sched Day 11.pdf

Thanks so much for sharing! We were on the Sun this year for a Baltics cruise, and will be on her again at the end of February for this same one as you. We really enjoyed the "hometown" feel of a smaller ship - got to know many of the crew and passengers since you run into them time and time again.

Cindy

Thanks for all of the postings! I am having a ball looking them all over and dreaming of 18 days from now! :D If you feel ambitious, I would love to see the pages with the dining venue info (what's open what days) and hours! Thanks in advance! :)

I had a few questions about the Sun. My family and I are going on the Sun in early Feb for an 11day.

I was curious about the Spa and the cigar bar. Do you know what the Spa offers for amenities, I don't mean the treatment gimmicks, and if they offer a discount on day one? How is the view, any of those heated chairs?

Does the Cigar area exist? I was on the Pearl a couple years back and they had filled that area with art work.

Thanks for any info and pics if you have them :)

I had a few questions about the Sun. My family and I are going on the Sun in early Feb for an 11day.

I was curious about the Spa and the cigar bar. Do you know what the Spa offers for amenities, I don't mean the treatment gimmicks, and if they offer a discount on day one? How is the view, any of those heated chairs?

Does the Cigar area exist? I was on the Pearl a couple years back and they had filled that area with art work.

No heated chairs ,not a spa like the jewel & dawn class ships, just the the hair and body treatments, but they do have a sauna and steam room that's free! This is a older ship built the Dawn and that type of spa,but its a great ship

Well, Dan...here are the daily schedule pages with which you can lull Jai to sleep tonight. Enjoy!:)

Ok cacj, you did it! That was the best sleep ever! Thanks cacj for all your effort in posting your review, but also the dailies!

Hopefully we can give back by posting a review in March when we get back! Thanks, you gave me a great weekend! (ok, you did too Newtonville Dan!)

Bluejai

Can you please check your dailies to see if the dining room was open during the days for lunch? I was curious to find that out.

Four Seasons or Seven Seas was open for lunch during sea days. During Port days, usually it was the Buffet area and Moderno, and Pool BBQ.

We didn't take the spa tour this time around, so am not able to answer about Day one discounts offered. There were several flyers during the cruise offering packages and special discounts, but on this particular cruise we didn't feel like doing the spa. I do know that there are no heated chairs, but the sauna and steam are open and near the pool deck. The last cruise we did use the sauna and steam, and found them to be adequate, small and a bit in need of some maintenance, but quite usable.

Cigar area (Havana Club) is next to the Windjammer, but we never saw anyone sit there unless it was overflow guests who were enjoying the piano player. As for cigars offered, I cannot help you there, but hopefully someone else can advise you on this. I think that the Friends of Dorothy meet were listed as being invited to Havana Club each day.

NCL did have me spoiled with glass shower doors and I knew when booking the Sun that I would have the dreaded curtain. I hope they can refurb this ship and fix her up with some better shower doors in the future. I hate to hear that her wear and tear is so evident. I'll be sailing her in Feb and really look forward to the fabulous crew and itinerary.

NCL did have me spoiled with glass shower doors and I knew when booking the Sun that I would have the dreaded curtain. I hope they can refurb this ship and fix her up with some better shower doors in the future. I hate to hear that her wear and tear is so evident. I'll be sailing her in Feb and really look forward to the fabulous crew and itinerary.

Oh, I hope that I didn't give an impression that the wear and tear would deter anyone's enjoyable experience of the Sun. It is just a fact that she is an older ship, and because of that, there are some evidence to that. The curtain, for certain, is an issue for many....and one does love a glass door (like on the Star)...but how long does one stay in the shower? It is a brief and sometimes hysterical tug of war for some. We would not hesitate to rebook the Sun. The crew are top notch, and the itinerary was great!

Oh, I hope that I didn't give an impression that the wear and tear would deter anyone's enjoyable experience of the Sun. It is just a fact that she is an older ship, and because of that, there are some evidence to that. The curtain, for certain, is an issue for many....and one does love a glass door (like on the Star)...but how long does one stay in the shower? It is a brief and sometimes hysterical tug of war for some. We would not hesitate to rebook the Sun. The crew are top notch, and the itinerary was great!

No! :) You didn't give that impression at all!!!! I wasn't put off by the wear and tear comments because I have read them before. She is an old ship and I knew that when booking, so I have adjusted my expectation for that...and that is a good thing. I appreciate honest comments and that is exactly what your are, so I thank you :)

As for how long one stays in the shower, for me it isn't about length of time, it's about leg shaving :p

Thanks for your review. I was on the 10 day Nov. 25 - Dec. 5 and loved the cruise, so enjoy reading other people's reviews.

Can you please check your dailies to see if the dining room was open during the days for lunch? I was curious to find that out.

On our 10 day (Nov. 25 - Dec. 5) one dining room (Seven Seas except for embarkation day when it was Four Seasons) was open each sea day and every other port day (so 2 of the 5 port days).

I recall reading in another review that they were planning on installing new flat screen TVs. Did you see any evidence of this?

:)

No, no flat screens at all. The old CRT screens, with the usual limited choices for viewing. Repeat movies, reviews of port talks/games/other events, bridge reports, port previews, sometimes CNBC, CNN, and such.

Archived