Carnival Tabyana excursion or private?

kwagmyre

Going to be in Roatan next month, 2 adults, 3 kids, all teen/tween aged. We are wanting to go snorkeling on a reef and have heard that Tabyana/West Bay seems to be the best area in Roatan for this. Plus we like the idea of being able to get in and out of the water, different restaurant options for lunch, and being able to stay as long or as little as we like.

So I am thinking about booking the Carnival excursion, which is $40 a person. A little steep for basically a ride and does not include gear rental. But then, it seems like the private tours/cabs are only marginally less expensive, and do not include a secured area, access to lockers, non-alcoholic drinks, etc. I prefer to go with private operators whenever practical or possible but it seems like the cruise-based option might be the better way to go here.

Am I missing anything? Any better spot, deal, or way to do this, given our parameters?

You will love the west bay beach area (where Tabyana beach is located). You can easily swim out to the reef from shore and find great snorkeling. I would suggest booking a car and driver with Victor Bodden. The driver will meet you at the cruise dock and give you a tour of the island (if you want one) he will take you to the west bay beach and stay with you and take you where ever you want to go on the lsland for the entire day. He will then return you to the cruise dock when ever you want to go back---its your call. The charge is $25/person. We have been to Roatan twice and used Victor both times (great service). Talk to your driver---some times you can pay a fee ($10 or $200 to use the facilities at Mayan Princess Resort or you can go to Fosters and rent a couple of beach loungers for about $20 and use their facilities. Your driver can give you suggestions. I will try to attach a couple of pictures of the beach area. I think this will be less expensive and you have total control of your day.

If you do the driver with Bodden the fee will not include chair or gear rental. You will have to rent those on the beach. So add that to their fee. Not worth it if you aren't interested in using the driver to tour or see other things.

Look at Bananarama too. They have packages which do include the rentals in the cost. It is a short walk down the beach (less than 5 min) where the walk- in snorkeling takes place. You can roam the one mile stretech of beach and choose from many spots for food and drink.

If you are just interested in the beach day, not touring, I'd go with Bananarama or just cab it to West Bay beach and look for rentals whole there.

http://www.bananaramadive.com/cruise-shippers/

We'd second the use of Bananarama. They met us on outside the gate at the promised time and took us back when we wanted to go. We wanted flexibility that the cruise ship doesn't give you. Very pleased with service and the resort.

i was also trying to decide on victor or this bananama pkg...i used bogdon once was good but now going back to rotan i just want to go to west bay beach...we docked at different spot and never was at mahongany bay dock. i know it is further from beach but also heard you can swim and snorkel at mahongany beach and snorkel..what is the difference????

I have heard that Bananarama is a "party area" and can get quite crowded. True?

I find Bananarama to be a party zone, I also believe the beach is smaller there, more people, less beach, more crowd. In the past Foster's has been the quiet end of the beach, they have a day trip package as well. If snorkeling is the goal, I suggest Tabyana being the easy access reef snorkeling is steps from your lounger.

cary1306 ~ Mahogany Bay is a man main Cruise Center, they built the beach. West Bay was made by nature, with a small amount of help from man. As said above if snorkeling is the goal Tabyana is our best bet, though if you are happy to walk down the beach to the snorkeling any place in West Bay would do.

can you take a taxi from cruise dock to tabyana beach and how much,we will be three people???

Tabyana is a small stretch of beach ON West Bay Beach, which is public. The Tab area is run by the cruise lines. If you want to sit on their chairs or use their facilities, you need to book a ship excursion which will include transportation.

You can go to west Bay Beach on your own and rent chairs from one of several areas. Cab fares vary depending on if you are coming from Coxen Hole or Mahagony Bay. Could range around $25 -$30 per person round trip. Again, varies.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I went on a honeymoon cruise with Carnival in 2012. We thought the prices charged by the cruise ship for their tours were way too high; plus we wanted to zip line AND snorkel. We walked away from the Mahogany Bay beach and up the hill outside of the "gate". We found a great tour operator there, Melita. She asked us what we wanted to do, which I wanted to zip line and go snorkeling at the reef. She said she would take us zip lining and to the beach to snorkel. We went to Jungle Top Zipline Adventure and had a great time there. She stayed with our things and waited for us to get done ziplining. After that she took us to the Argentinian Grill Restaurant at the West End beach. We had to pay a very small fee, I think it was like $10, but we ate there, used their bathrooms and their outside shower. It was very nice, clean and not crowded at all. While we were eating lunch she found us a vendor on the beach with a boat and snorkeling gear. Again, she waited until we were done snorkeling and watched our things the whole time. We had a great time snorkeling on the reef. Her van was immaculately clean, comfortable and ran well. We saved so much money going this way versus on the ship's tour, PLUS it was more intimate. If we go back to Roatan, I will be looking her up again and I sure hope she is still there. I asked for her e-mail address, so I could share it with others going to this port. It is melitagordon44@yahoo.com.

My husband and I went on a honeymoon cruise with Carnival in 2012. We thought the prices charged by the cruise ship for their tours were way too high; plus we wanted to zip line AND snorkel. We walked away from the Mahogany Bay beach and up the hill outside of the "gate". We found a great tour operator there, Melita. She asked us what we wanted to do, which I wanted to zip line and go snorkeling at the reef. She said she would take us zip lining and to the beach to snorkel. We went to Jungle Top Zipline Adventure and had a great time there. She stayed with our things and waited for us to get done ziplining. After that she took us to the Argentinian Grill Restaurant at the West End beach. We had to pay a very small fee, I think it was like $10, but we ate there, used their bathrooms and their outside shower. It was very nice, clean and not crowded at all. While we were eating lunch she found us a vendor on the beach with a boat and snorkeling gear. Again, she waited until we were done snorkeling and watched our things the whole time. We had a great time snorkeling on the reef. Her van was immaculately clean, comfortable and ran well. We saved so much money going this way versus on the ship's tour, PLUS it was more intimate. If we go back to Roatan, I will be looking her up again and I sure hope she is still there. I asked for her e-mail address, so I could share it with others going to this port. It is melitagordon44@yahoo.com.

You did very well indeed.. most people prefer plans sorted before showing up... Good on you for taking a chance and forwarding the drivers contact. What did the whole of the day cost you?

Archived