Why are Vision class ships called the Vision class?

Another way to ask the question - why was this class named after the Vision of the Seas which I understand to be the last ship of the class?

In contrast, the Radiance of the Seas was the first ship of the Radiance class.

The Voyager of the Seas was the first ship of the Voyager class.

The Freedom of the Seas was the first ship of the Freedom class.

The Oasis of the Seas was the first ship of the Oasis class.

Vision-class ships include:

Legend OTS

Splendour OTS

Grandeur OTS

Rhapsody OTS

Vision OTS

Enchantment OTS - which was stretched in 2005, which makes is unique in its class

Note: this list is not in particular order of when the ships rolled out.

Another way to ask the question - why was this class named after the Vision of the Seas which I understand to be the last ship of the class?

My guess, and it is purely a guess, is that the name "Vision" had a nice ring to it, was a totally new style of ship at that time, and knew that with each ship build, there would be tweeking, and hopefully when the Vision was built, she would live up to the name.

I'm sure someone out there will know the "real" answer!!;)

Rick

From what I was told, it was called Vision Class due to the views they created with all the glass and large windows. They kept the name and applied it to the last ship. This was unique because the other ship classes began with a different name and changed with the naming of the first ship.

From what I remember...

Sovereign Class was Mega Class

Voyager Class was Project Eagle

Freedom Class was Ultra Voyager

Oasis Class was Project Genesis

I don't remember what Radiance Class was.

From what I was told, it was called Vision Class due to the views they created with all the glass and large windows. They kept the name and applied it to the last ship. This was unique because the other ship classes began with a different name and changed with the naming of the first ship.

From what I remember...

That is a better answer than mine! Merry Christmas to you Paul!!;)

Rick

Vision-class ships include:

Legend OTS

Splendour OTS

Grandeur OTS

Rhapsody OTS

Vision OTS

Enchantment OTS - which was stretched in 2005, which makes is unique in its class

Note: this list is not in particular order of when the ships rolled out.

Legend 1995 (France)

Splendour 1996 (France)

Grandeur 1996 (Finland)

Enchantment 1997 (Finland)

Rhapsody 1997 (France)

Vision 1998 (France)

From what I remember...

Good morning Paul and Merry Christmas. The Radiance class worked under the name "Vantage" class.

Vision Class is a very strange class. Usually classes are named for the first ship, built to the same plans and generally in the same shipyard; clearly not the case here.

Legend (launched 1995) and Splendour (1996) were built at Chantiers de l'Atlantique: GRT: 69130, Length: 867 ft, Passengers: 1800, Crew: 720

Grandeur (1996) and Enchantment (1997) were built at Kvaerner Masa-Yards: GRT: 74137, Length: 915 ft, Passengers: 1950, Crew: 760;

but Enchantment was subsequently stretched to GRT: 81500, Length: 990 ft, Passengers: 2252, Crew: 840

Rhapsody (1997) and Vision (1998) were built at Chantiers de l'Atlantique: GRT: 78491, Length: 915 ft, Passengers: 2435, Crew: 765

So this "class" has four significantly different deck plans, and indeed it is not even a class of ships by most definitions.

[Voyager class has two significantly different deck plans - early (Voyager, Adventure, Explorer) and late (Mariner and Navigator), but those variances do not begin to approach the differences among the Vision ships.]

Thom

I posted this in the other thread that was started on the Vision class and figured I'd cross-post here... anyways... :)

The Vision class ships were the result of "Project Vision". The goal was to create ships that had more glass and thus greater views of the oceans from the interior spaces.

This class of ships is unique in more than just the fact that the last ship is the class namesake. There are three sets of ship pairs in this class that have some commonality between the pairs but also many differences. So they are not really a true class of ships (such as Radiance class or Voyager class, etc).

The sisters are: Splendour and Legend (Chantiers Atlantique); Grandeur and Enchantment (Kvaerner Masa); and Rhapsody and Vision (Chantiers Atlantique).

These ships were the first Royal Caribbean ships to feature diesel electric propulsion systems and also the placement of the Viking Crown lounge above the Centrum. With the decoupling of the engines from the propellers they were able to place the engines closer to midship allowing for better ship weight balance. The side effect was that the stacks had to move forward as well which put the Viking Crown lounge where it is on the Vision class.

Personally I think it's much more aesthetically pleasing that way. :)

So, in my opinion the Vision class have a very important place in the evolution of the beautiful ships that Royal has produced and will continue to produce. :)

Archived