Traveling with 6-8 Month Old

nyyhoneybee

That's a difficult question to answer. Do you want the option of babysitting? Age appropriate activities or toys? Do you want a ship where the baby can splash in a pool (many ships don't have facilities for children who are not toilet trained)? Some lines allow you to pre-order diapers and baby food, others don't...is this important to you? In my experience, most lines charge for passengers of any age, as they are taking up a berth on the ship regardless of how old they are. However, the third passenger rate is usually much less than the first two, and some lines run "kids sail free" promotions from time to time.

Then there is the consideration of where you would like to go. Do you want to sail out of NYC or the area and avoid air travel, or do you want to fly and sail from Florida or Europe?

If you can give us a few more details we can be a bit more specific in our recommendations. There are also some great reviews from people travelling with small children that you can find by searching this forum.

Thanks!

I think we are going between NCL, RCL & Disney. We are looking to leave out of Florida, because we think we might take my Grandma along with us, and she's a snowbird and spends the winter in Fl. NCL has an advantage with the studio in the Epic for this. Plus it's a built in baby sitter if we want to get out alone.

With Disney, we might be able to get my BIL, SIL and their two kids to join us.

RCL...well it's my preferred line although I'm starting to feel like it will work better when baby is a bit older.

I'd think more of the child...and think about what you want out of the cruise. Then figure out the line.

at 6 months, dd was starting to crawl, at 8 months she was walking across the room.

At 6 months, we just started offering food once a day, by 8 months she was actually eating a bit, but not as much. If you're doing baby foods (we didn't), then you have think about bring that. Same with if you bottle feed (then you have bring all that stuff).

She was still on 3 naps a day and nursing motn.

She was just started to teeth at 6 months and putting everything in her mouth.

We cruised on DCL last week with dd, 14 months. I wouldn't want to cruise with a crawler or just learning to walk little one. I would have cruised with her as early as say 10 months-12 months, but I'm glad we waited.

We don't like NCL (bad service when we went) but I've heard has a playroom for young ones- that would be a huge plus. Disney is great service, but no open play room. They do have Toddler time and wake up with Disney jr on sea days, and open house hours for nursery/club/lab. They do offer babysitting in the nursery. Disney (at least on the Magic and Wonder) have a splash pad babies/toddlers can play in. We brought a few of dd's smaller toys/board books, but really didn't need them.

In January, kids sail free on Disney out of Gal, TX. I don't know if that's an option for you, just pointing that out.

I also recommend a balcony, not that you asked (lol), if possible. It's great after dd goes to bed. Room service and a book/movie/just listening to the waves/talking/enjoying fresh air. And dd loved the balcony!

I'd think more of the child...and think about what you want out of the cruise. Then figure out the line.

That's what we are trying to do. Thanks for your tips and advice and things to think about. We do want to do a balcony for us, I can't imagine having a child young enough to need naps and someone to be in the room with them and not!

We did NCL this past August and overall, I would do NCL again in the right circumstance. One of the perks is we can do a balcony for us and a studio for my Grandmother which she would love.

We had great luck with our 9 month old on RCL's Freedom. I blogged about what I learned here.

http://ozimagesblog.com/2012/11/20/cruising-with-baby/

Thanks, I read this last night (saw it linked on another thread in here) and loved it. I love Freedom and thought it would be a good choice even before seeing this

Thanks, I read this last night (saw it linked on another thread in here) and loved it. I love Freedom and thought it would be a good choice even before seeing this

I want to add - I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3 - Freedom, Liberty or Indy of the Seas. The only thing different about Indy is that it doesn't have the upgrades that the other two has.

Archived