What to do in Ocho Rios?

Gus12

My soon-to-be-wife and I will be cruising the Carnival Freedom and are looking for things to do in Ocho Rios. We aren't doing one of the Carnival Excursions there. I know there's Dunn's River Falls. Has anyone just explored that without a guide? Would be nice to see it, but we don't have to climb it.

Anyone used any services outside of Carnival to explore this area? We don't want to be slugs all day but we don't want to pay the hefty excursion prices either! Anything will help!

Part of our honeymoon was in Ocho Rios via Carnival Liberty. Stay on the ship... trust me. Without a guide or excursion, Ocho Rios is a true headache. You're very likely to be divorced by the time you get back to the States if you bring your soon-to-be wife to Ocho Rios without any sort of group/excursion/guide.

It's been a few years since we've been to Ocho Rios (2007) but we booked an independent tour operator there. I can't remember the name, but I wasn't impressed with them. We went river tubing, and the guide and his driver disappeared for a long time after we were done tubing.

We also did a plantation there, which was fun to see. We had planned to go to Fern Gully as well, but the casual attitude of our guide was such that I worried about whether we'd get back to the ship on time.

I can highly recommend Peat Taylor. I have used them twice. Once for Dunns River and Horseback riding and just recently (a few weeks ago) I used them as a walk up at the pier (just asked for them) and went to the Blue Hole. Both times were great and I felt completely safe. Blue Hole is really cool if you are a bit adventurous. I believe they have a website.

My soon-to-be-wife and I will be cruising the Carnival Freedom and are looking for things to do in Ocho Rios. We aren't doing one of the Carnival Excursions there. I know there's Dunn's River Falls. Has anyone just explored that without a guide? Would be nice to see it, but we don't have to climb it.

Anyone used any services outside of Carnival to explore this area? We don't want to be slugs all day but we don't want to pay the hefty excursion prices either! Anything will help!

We usually do excursons thru an independent vendor, but since Jamica is one of our least favorite ports we booked Mystic Mountain excursion thru Carnival. Loved it, they picked us up right at the pier and took us where we took a skylift thing up the mountain which was fun. Once on top the view was fabulous and the vendors did not hassle you at all. Had the bobsled ride you could do, a pool, restaurant and can'tremember what else. Took us right back to the ship when we were ready.Did not get hassled at all and for the first time enjoyed Jamica.

We usually do excursons thru an independent vendor, but since Jamica is one of our least favorite ports we booked Mystic Mountain excursion thru Carnival. Loved it, they picked us up right at the pier and took us where we took a skylift thing up the mountain which was fun. Once on top the view was fabulous and the vendors did not hassle you at all. Had the bobsled ride you could do, a pool, restaurant and can'tremember what else. Took us right back to the ship when we were ready.Did not get hassled at all and for the first time enjoyed Jamica.

Do you remember what the charge was ?

I've been to Ocho twice. I have been taken to see the Falls both times. Really, it's not that big a deal...to me, anyway.

If we are ever on another cruise that stops in Jamaica, we will stay on board. Don't get me wrong...the island is beautiful, the Falls included. But the aggressiveness of the locals (brought on by widespread poverty) makes the island absolutely not worth it to us and one we would never set foot on again.

If you feel you HAVE to go ashore, you should not do it on your own.

A trip to Ocho Rios is not complete without a visit to Dunns River Falls. We've done it on our own, and on tours, with included visits to botanical gardens. The island is lush with lots of greens and beautiful fauna and flora.

The island is beautiful. But this is one place where I would not consider going it on my or our own. Definitely arrange a tour with a reputable tour guide, and you will find lots of great suggestions on the Ports of Call board. Congratulations! and have a great cruise.:)

We are going to Ochos Rios in January on the Breeze and have booked a private tour with Marva Shaw tours. You may want to look her up, she has many positive reviews on here and on tripadvisor, although this will be our first time so I have no personal experience yet. The thing we liked is that we are taking a private day tour with her company and we can set the agenda based on the amount of time we have. Our plan is to go to Dunns River Falls and then river tubing and a little shopping but if the kids are tired or time is short we can modify the tour accordingly. Basically Marva has told me that our guide will take us where ever we want to go and spend the day with with us, then return us to the ship when we are ready.

Good Luck !!

Please don't stay on the ship. Ochos Rios is beautiful. Please do though book an excursion through Carnival or another reputable company. I've been to Ocho Rios twice...once did the Dunn's River Falls & Dolphin Cove and then the Mystic Mountain through Carnival. We enjoyed both and are in fact headed back there on a cruise Feb 9th. Sandals Grande Ochos Rios Beach and Villa Resort offers a day pass of which I'm exploring. It's $120.00 pp, which includes transportation. Have fun!

We've been to Ocho Rios numerous times. If you haven't done Dunn River Falls- you should really do it once- it's amazing. You can do it on your own or with a group. We have also tubed down the white river which was a blast. Would definitely do that again. On our last trip this fall we went to Mystic Mountain for the first time. Chair lift ride and bobsled similator wree awesome. Worth doing as well. These would be my recommendations.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm looking into Peat Taylor now. Does anyone recall if the $45 charge includes shuttle from the pier and food? Or are those extra? Sorry if that's a silly question, but this is our first cruise!

We just got back from there. My husband did the Appleton Rum Estate tour and I shopped. While he had a great time (except for the 2 hour bus ride each way), I got off the ship and made the mistake of leaving the port for the "shops" next door. There are only one or two shops and the women were aggressively fighting over me and trying to get me into their stores. It was awful.

Another couple on our roll call took a taxi downtown and were dropped somewhere which wasn't downtown. It was HORRIBLE. They had a really bad experience and when they were able to finally flag down another taxi, they headed over to Margaritaville or the Hard Rock and spent the rest of their day before heading back to the ship.

I would suggest either doing a ships excursion or using a private tour guide that has good reviews. Other than that, I would suggest you stay on the ship and have a couples massage.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm looking into Peat Taylor now. Does anyone recall if the $45 charge includes shuttle from the pier and food? Or are those extra? Sorry if that's a silly question, but this is our first cruise!

He should pick you up right at the pier. Somebody will be there holding a sign.

Unless the tour description specifically says lunch included, any food would be extra.

DW and I went to Ocho Rios last January. It is our favorite port so far. Of course just like anything else it is what you make it. We used Courtney Taylor Tours and would highly recommend them.

http://courtneytay.wix.com/jamaicajh

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147312-d2614484-Reviews-Courtney_Taylor_Tours_Jamaica_Private_Tours-Ocho_Rios_Saint_Ann_Parish_Jamaica.html

If you choose Courtney Taylor request Delton. He was awesome. He took us to the falls. Then on a tour of the island. We went way up in the mountains and end up in a fruit grove that over looked the port. The pictures we took from there look like postcards. He taught us so much about the culture and we saw things that most cruisers don't see. When lunch time rolled around we told him we wanted to go to his favorite restaurant, somewhere he would take his family. It was a small meat & 3 type restaurant in the middle of town. The food was awesome. We paid for his meal as well as ours and left a tip...it was $18 total. He spent about 5 hours with us and took us any where we wanted to go.

We paid $35 each for the guide service. We also gave him a generous tip at the end of the day because he made our trip great.

We were there August 2011 and will never return to that God forsaken island again. As soon as you go through the security area you are literately attacked by cab drivers. They block your path and stop you and offer to take you all over the island. They scared the hell out of us so we kept trying to walk but as soon as you get by one another one stops you. We wanted to make it to the shops that Carnival recommended but we gave up and went back to the ship. My advice is do not get off your ship in Jamaica.

We used Peat Taylor 4 years ago. We had an amazing tour with him. He took us to Dunns River Falls, Tubing, Fern Gully and a few other places. I never had any concerns being with him and I can't remember the exact prices, but it was very reasonable. If we ever go back to Ocho Rios I would not hesitate to use him again.

Archived