Caribbean or Crown? help me please

medfordgirl

I am new to Princess. we are currently booked on the Crown princess for November 30 in room E731 (which from what I read is a good room) HOWEVER, I can get a mini suite guarantee for March on the Caribbean princess (same itinerary...we want to go to Curacao) for $400 cheaper. I will lose my E731 cabin but save the $$$. Course it is still early and the price could go down for the November Cruise before final payment? (I just got off Freedom of the seas this month so I need a little time to lose a couple lbs before the next one) Is one ship better than the other? Do I risk getting a bad cabin? Please help, I know nothing about Princess.:confused:

The cabin you've already booked is a standard balcony cabin but has a larger balcony at 9'x9' that's half-covered/half uncovered. Your specific balcony is even larger as it extends towards the aft so you'll have views not only to the side but towards the aft. Being at the end of the corridor, it'll be very quiet as no one will be passing your door.

If you choose the mini-suite GTY, you will most likely end up on Dolphin deck. The balcony is smaller at 9'x7' and is uncovered with no protection from weather or sun plus all of the cabins above you will see your entire balcony. However, you'll get a sitting area with couch and 2nd TV and a larger bathroom with a tub/shower. No perks or amenities with a mini-suite other than a glass of (bad) sparkling wine at sailaway.

It's up to you whether the larger and partially covered balcony is worth the extra money because you'd give up inside cabin space.

I believe that E731 is a mini with a covered extended balcony. If you take the guarantee, you will most likely end up on the Dolphin deck with an uncovered balcony. The room should be the same; the difference will be in the balcony. It all depends on whether the 400.00 is important. We have done both and I would base my decision on whether I needed the money to enjoy my cruise. Either way, enjoy!

The cabin you've already booked is a standard balcony cabin but has a larger balcony at 9'x9' that's half-covered/half uncovered. Your specific balcony is even larger as it extends towards the aft so you'll have views not only to the side but towards the aft. Being at the end of the corridor, it'll be very quiet as no one will be passing your door.

If you choose the mini-suite GTY, you will most likely end up on Dolphin deck. The balcony is smaller at 9'x7' and is uncovered with no protection from weather or sun plus all of the cabins above you will see your entire balcony. However, you'll get a sitting area with couch and 2nd TV and a larger bathroom with a tub/shower. No perks or amenities with a mini-suite other than a glass of (bad) sparkling wine at sailaway.

It's up to you whether the larger and partially covered balcony is worth the extra money because you'd give up inside cabin space.

what about the ships? Is one better than the other? is one showing age more than the other. I was reading some of the reviews and people were complaining about the age showing on the Caribbean. I am so used to Rccl and I am sure my DH will compare the 2 and I want the ship that will give him the least complaints. I really don't want a completely uncovered balcony so that could be a factor. I wonder if I could find some kind of cover that I could attach to each side?

I also read something about TICKETS to get off the ship at curacao? what is that all about? can't you just walk off the ship?

I would stay on the Crown and keep E731. I have had E731 on several ships and it is the best mini suite out there. It is covered and the balcony is much larger then the other mini suites. I would also keep the Crown over the Caribbean Princess.

November is often a cheaper month to cruise. Hopefully you have a price drop.

Having sailed on both, we would choose Crown over Caribbean. Crown was in better overall condition and we felt the dining staff was superior. We had a mini suite on the CB and while we liked the covered balcony and sofa, we're just as happy in a Caribe deck balcony cabin. We tried the mini suite because we were able to get it for the same price as the Caribe cabin we wanted.

I would stay with the Crown; it's a beautiful ship and it has some things the CB lacks (Adagio, the gorgeous aft area, gelato at the IC . . . ). Especially if you're into sunning, the aft pool area on the Crown is way better than on the CB. I've sailed the Crown twice and have had two wonderful cruises on her. The CB just doesn't seem to live up to the rest of the fleet, at least that's my impression from reading six years' worth of reviews. She has her fans, but I see more complaints about that one ship than all the others.

I agree with the others. I'd stay on the Crown. I love the Adagio Lounge.

In Curaçao, the ship will dock and you can walk off. In tender ports, if you are not on a Princess excursion, which have priority on the tenders, you'll need to go to a lounge and get a tender ticket, first come, first off the ship. Details will be in the nightly Princess Patter with the information about the lounge and tickets.

I definitely prefer the Crown, as you say the Caribbean is showing a bit of age, but having said that & just getting off the Caribbean, I`m rebooked on the same ship for the price difference. By the way, may niece was in the grand suite, 1277 ft & it has the right name, GRAND.

I have been on the CB 3 times and Crown once.

My one cruise on the Crown was the 5 day cancelled norovirus cruise so I have nothing good to say about the ship.;)

The Caribbean Princess we just got off Dec 16 and while the ship looked in pretty good shape in the public areas. I saw some things that looked like they were let go for a long period of time.

Here is some pictures of the stuff. I didn't take my camera to the pool so can't show you all the missing tiles in the calypso pool.

pictures of neglect

Bill

Archived