Apple Photo Book... For Christmas?

FRMPEI

For Christmas my DW wanted "one of those Apple Photo Books". So being the good DH I pretended that it would be too much work to prepare one. I am relatively new to the Mac world and used my copy of Aperture (iPhoto can also be used) and created a "Celebrity Solstice 2012" picture book from our March 2012 Western Carb. cruise. I ordered it on December 7 and received it by courier the following Friday Dec 14. I must say it looks fantastic and couldn't wait until DW would open it on Christams day. The cost was $42 for the extra large version. I Know I will use it again and again for future and past cruises. Will also make a nice coffee table book.

Has anybody else purchased a Cruise themed Apple Photo Book?

Regards,

Kevin Reid

PEI, Canada

There are many companies and websites that will produce books of this type. I have used Shutterfly and even Walmart and Costco.

I did it our first Med cruise several years ago and again for our cruise in 2011. We are going on a Caribbean cruise in a month and will probably get one done for that too.

The whole problem with digital photography is that all the photos reside on your computer now instead of a nice book to look at. An alternative to leaving the photos on the computer or buying one of the photo books with a few of the photos in it is to get one of those digital picture frames and have one for each cruise. Just load all your photos on there and let it cycle through them.

Don't flame me. I'm not one of those to complain because this isn't cruise related. I'm just going to make the friendly suggestion that there are a number of forums where you'll find a lot more feedback than here.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1214991

I feel this is the correct place for this thread. It is completely related to Cruising and Specifically Celebrity. The first repsonse was an excellent suggestion on the picture frames. I will must likely do one for each cruise and maybe other cruisers may also like the idea of printing books. Doesn't have to be Apple can be others.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I feel this is the correct place for this thread. It is completely related to Cruising and Specifically Celebrity. The first repsonse was an excellent suggestion on the picture frames. I will must likely do one for each cruise and maybe other cruisers may also like the idea of printing books. Doesn't have to be Apple can be others.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Very well. And that's why I wasn't saying it shouldn't be posted here. I just think it may be fairly low yield. If someone is looking for feedback on creating these books, I believe someone who does so for a land based vacation or even a family event may very well have relevant information to share.

It's not that it's inappropriate here, but it's just kind of missing the target audience.

Kevin, thanks for the post.

We now make photo books from each cruise.

I have several Mac products and Mac is certainly a nice way to go with the Apple Photo Books.

There are many others out there and many have their respective favorite(s) sites for this.

Keith

I also use Apple for my photo books. I have produced 6 books so far, one for each of our major trips. Primarily I use Apple Print services because it fits conveniently into my photo workflow. First two books I used iPhoto but have now switched to Aperture in part because it gives me greater flexibility when laying out the photo book but also because I can do a lot more post processing of images especially when combined with plug-ins.

I have been very happy with Apple Print services customer service. I wasn't pleased with the colour rendition in my Baltic cruise photo book and Apple happily reprinted it at no cost and even gave me a rebate on the original shipping charge.

Larry

Don't flame me. I'm not one of those to complain because this isn't cruise related. I'm just going to make the friendly suggestion that there are a number of forums where you'll find a lot more feedback than here.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1214991

There is a ton of info on this board about photo books, photo web hosting services, turorials, software. etc.

There are some very knowledgeable and experienced photographers and techies here, so posting usually gets some very good responses.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

The frames are so cheap nowadays and they have features that can stop or cycle through as you wish so you can sit and look at the photos. Some even have remote controls and links to your TV. That is a very nice feature so you can look at them with more than just yourself (sitting at your desk or holding a laptop).

It sure beats having hundreds of photos languishing unappreciated on your computer.

As an aside, I also think that while a forum for photography is good to have, there is information here for those that would not look at a photo specific forum. The Celebrity (or other cruise line) forum was the right place to post this.

...As an aside, I also think that while a forum for photography is good to have, there is information here for those that would not look at a photo specific forum. The Celebrity (or other cruise line) forum was the right place to post this.

???

So...someone with questions about photography, photo books and such should look at the forum of the cruise line they were on when the photos were taken?

;)

Dave

For Christmas my DW wanted "one of those Apple Photo Books". So being the good DH I pretended that it would be too much work to prepare one. I am relatively new to the Mac world and used my copy of Aperture (iPhoto can also be used) and created a "Celebrity Solstice 2012" picture book from our March 2012 Western Carb. cruise. I ordered it on December 7 and received it by courier the following Friday Dec 14. I must say it looks fantastic and couldn't wait until DW would open it on Christams day. The cost was $42 for the extra large version. I Know I will use it again and again for future and past cruises. Will also make a nice coffee table book.

Has anybody else purchased a Cruise themed Apple Photo Book?

Regards,

Kevin Reid

PEI, Canada

It will be a huge hit! I make a photo album for each cruise...and I have a lot of albums! I have not used Mac, and I own one one. I upload my photos to Shutterfly and to Picaboo.com. The last lets you get really creative with endless options. It is my favorite. I just made one from our TransAtlantic b2b and it was 160 pages and had over 1000 photos! This is ABSOLUTELY the right place to post!

???

So...someone with questions about photography, photo books and such should look at the forum of the cruise line they were on when the photos were taken?

;)

Dave

Since I only frequent the RCI board, I would miss quite a bit, wouldn't I?:confused:

???

;)

Dave

No Dave, that was not the point.

I only said that posting this information on the cruise line forums would allow those folks that do not seek out a specific photo forum an opportunity of having some useful information and hints.

I suppose you are against posting photos on cruise line forums too? Photos should be on the Photo and Camera forum only? Or only talking about them?

No Dave, that was not the point.

I only said that posting this information on the cruise line forums would allow those folks that do not seek out a specific photo forum an opportunity of having some useful information and hints.

I suppose you are against posting photos on cruise line forums too? Photos should be on the Photo and Camera forum only? Or only talking about them?

Didn't mean to step on you ant hill, the wording just triggered a minor fit of sarcasm. ;) = wink, wink...nudge, nudge

Of course posting photos from a cruise in the thread from that cruise makes sense. What better way to share your photos with the folks you cruised with?

This post was moved by the moderator who evidently thought that the question and the responses it generated would have a wider general audience and help more people here in the section devoted to such things.

Redirecting technically oriented questions to this forum happens quite often and the originators of the post are usually very pleased when they discover that it exists. This isn't your typical photo forum. The regulars on here are very kind, helpful and supportive...after all, they're cruisers too!

Dave

• 3 months later...
Wow, wanted to find a thread to ask if anyone uses appleTV to display their cruise vacation photos, but this thread got so negative, I guess I'll keep looking.

Yes, we use Apple TV to do a slide show of our photos when showing them to others. Very easy to use.

Keith

Archived