Any news on Dream?

Was on the transatlantic and thought dream was great. I haven't been on it before but they seem to have done a fair bit. New carpets in most public areas and the cabins, cabins are nice neutral colours. Captain said that a lot of work was done to engines, propellers, etc...

Very impressed!

Glad you enjoyed it. We are going on the Dream (third time) in April. We noticed lots of improvements last time, but did think the carpets needed replacing :) Have you got any photos you can put on here?

BTW Who was the Captain? Is he German? :eek: :D

We're going! Just booked :D Will try to get some pics up when we get back which will be before you go so be sure I'll let you know what I think and how it has changed since we were last on board. ;)

P.S. I loved the German Capt - not everyone did but we thought he was hilarious!

We're going! Just booked :D Will try to get some pics up when we get back which will be before you go so be sure I'll let you know what I think and how it has changed since we were last on board. ;)

P.S. I loved the German Capt - not everyone did but we thought he was hilarious!

Good for you Kruzseeka. What itineraries are you doing? We thought the German Captain was quite funny at first, but a bit wearing after a fortnight.:rolleyes: We like to sit and read on the promenade deck where it is quieter but every afternoon - bing bong "Zis is your Captain from ze bridge!" followed by a long rambling speech and we always seemed to be right under a loudspeaker :eek:

Good for you Kruzseeka. What itineraries are you doing? We thought the German Captain was quite funny at first, but a bit wearing after a fortnight.:rolleyes: We like to sit and read on the promenade deck where it is quieter but every afternoon - bing bong "Zis is your Captain from ze bridge!" followed by a long rambling speech and we always seemed to be right under a loudspeaker :eek:

Doing Caribbean Treasures and Latin Gems - really looking forward to it now. Have been watching and deliberating (and hoping prices would come down a bit more) - but hey! couldn't wait forever so we've taken the plunge! As you will imagine I'll be casting a critical eye over the refurb (hopefully we'll be very impressed!) but at least we should be able to make a cuppa in the morning so that will be a plus - especially for you!!!!! :D:D:D I'll report back - of course! ;)

What date are you going Kruzseeka? same itinerary as us i believe! :D

Reading the reviews and comments over on cruisedot, it seems the re -furb is a bit underwhelming. Not all carpets replaced for example, not much done to the cabins. And the feared changes to the AI seem to have been realised. - eg you are not allowed vodka and orange as that is classed as 2 drinks!

:confused:Found this on *********** site

Transatlantic cruise to the Caribbean

14 of 14 people found this review informative

Reviewed By: Flanagan, Wilmslow on 29th Dec 2012

Cruise Line: Thomson Cruises Times cruised before: 3-5

Cruise Ship: Thomson Dream Sailed: December, 2012

Destination: Caribbean Age: 46-55

Cabin: Outside

Returned to Uk on 24th Dec after cruising the Caribbean on Thomson Dream. My husband and I booked this cruise four weeks before we sailed. We got a fabulous deal which included an outside plus cabin for only £780 each. This was not a internet price we booked through our local thomson travel agent.

We have cruised with Thomson before as a late deal. We are lucky to be able to go away at any time and what we have learnt with Thomson cruises is that we would only travel on one of their ships if it is a late deal thus at a vastly reduced price from the brochure; we dont feel that Thomson ship are 'classy'/luxurious enough to pay their brouchure price - I am taking into account every aspect such as food, entertainment,and decor.

We could not see where the money has been spent on the refit - although they have added a few new chairs by the pool and some new sunloungers; flat screen tv in cabin and new mattresses (these were delivered day we boarded). The ship is now classed as a Platinum ship but in our opinion it is not. We base this again through decor (no luxurious fittings or fixtures,food etc). I would say P and O and Celebrity cruises more Platinum style ships.

We ate in all the food areas at differant time of the day and evemming. The food was alright, again for the price that we paid, actually the food that was supposed to be hot in every venue, throughout the holiday was barely lukewarm. We did speak to the maitre'd in the restaurant on the 3rd night -he was extremely helpful, desperately wanted to please us, but still the food was lukewarm. A ship classed as Platinum needs to serve hot food.

All staff are very hardworking, very attentive, extremely nice and want to please their guests. All credit to the staff.

There was a strong smell of sewage on each corridor. Again, one could not class the ship as Platinum with that odour.

It didnt seem to matter what time we were coming down the corridor to go back to the cabin our cabin steward Bobby always seemed to be around and every time he would ask us if he could check the toilet as the water level kept rising right to the brim. We did chat to a couple whos cabin had flooded quite soon into the trip so i guess there may have been concerns of flooding.

Our experience with Thomson is that their excursions are always very well organised and we enjoyed all the trips we went on.

There was the usual issue with the sun beds of towels put on but no one on them for quite a few hours. That is unfair and annoying.

At the price we paid obviously it was value for money so we will live with the issues i have mentioned - wonderful to see the caribbean islands, and be in that part of the world in December. We met some nice people onboard so all in all it was a good trip for us.

Quality of Food

Entertainment

Thomson entertainers are young and entuisiastic so we appreciated their efforts

Shore Excursions

Loved the sun and rum trip in Antigua. What a glorious beach and we were very well looked after. Enjoyed the Explore Grenada trip.

Staff

All staff willing to please, all excellent.

Children's Facilities n/a

Onboard Activities

We didnt really join any activities but we looked at what there was and there was plenty to choose from had we wanted to

Cabins

Outside plus cabin was very nicely laid out. Very spacious. Good to have flat screen tv so could catch up on news. Good to have the sofa as well. Always like the tea and coffee making facility so pleased with that.

Overall Rating

Hope this helps

Bob

First proper review on the other site. The site without the critic part of cruise critic. ;)

Not completely positive either. They say they were not sure where the money had gone for the refurb and that it certainly couldn't be considered as Platinum. Complaints about food and a smell of sewage in corridors. Apparently they spoke to someone whose cabin had been flooded and they kept on being asked by their cabin steward to check the toilet as the water was nearly overflowing. Hopefully though, this doesn't seem to be like the extreme problems of the other year and sound just minor, hopefully mainly due to its drydock.

Where's geomagot??? :confused:

It seems as though this was the first trip on Dream according to the 'Sailed' history although not the first time with Thomson. Not sure how they could therefore assess where the refurb money had been spent. Surely you need to see the before and after to make a judgement on that.

Not good to hear about the smell - this hasn't been an issue for us when we've been on Dream although I know there were issues in the early days. Hopefully a problem that is able to be cured! :rolleyes:

Not a very positive review - let's hope we get some better news soon.

Archived