White Pass Scenic Railway vs. Yukon Expedition & WP

fireflymd

Trying to decide between the following two excursions in Skagway:

White Pass Scenic Railway vs. Yukon Expedition & White Pass Scenic Railway?

The first is 3.5 hours, the second is 8 hours. Is the longer excursion tough to endure, being on the train for so long?

Are you looking at these through the cruise line?

The reason I asked is--- many independent tour companies do a bus/van one way and the train the other. We did not have enough time in port to do the long trip, however, we used Chilkoot tours and really enjoyed our bus/train summit trip. Many give them good reviews. [We did the bus up and train down because it left an hour later in the morning.]

There are several companies that do this trip. I am sure several people will leave you suggestions here.

Are you looking at these through the cruise line?

The reason I asked is--- many independent tour companies do a bus/van one way and the train the other. We did not have enough time in port to do the long trip, however, we used Chilkoot tours and really enjoyed our bus/train summit trip. Many give them good reviews. [We did the bus up and train down because it left an hour later in the morning.]

There are several companies that do this trip. I am sure several people will leave you suggestions here.

Our trip as booked through Princess involves a train ride both ways. We decided on the shorter trip (3.5 hours). I'm really looking forward to it.

Hi,

Princess cruises provides the bus up and train down way too.

We did that and wrote a review of it.

Check out the post in our blog! :)

I guess they have made different arrangements, because the website says the tour is a train ride up and back down.

Really enjoyed your blog and pictures--very nice!

There are three main rides on the WP&Y RR.

The Summit Excursion - roundtrip Skagway to White Pass Summit - you never leave the train - covers the main scenic portion of the railroad - including most of the bridges, tunnels, and trestles.Takes about 3 hrs.

Trips between Skagway and Fraser - one way -either way. Between Skagway and Fraser some tours will add the gold dredge, 40 below, the butterfly gardens, and/or the suspension bridge.

One can also go north along the Klondike Hy to Carcross - Emerald Lake, Spirit Lake and the Carcross Desert are about 10 min beyond Carcross on the way to Whitehorse. These usually take around 7.5 hrs

Trips between Skagway and Carcross - again one way train reverse by bus. This trip stops in the town of Bennett for lunch and a tour. This trip takes about 9hrs. Again there are stops at Emerald Lake and Carcross Desert.

Archived