Caribbean: best way to reach US by phone ?

vmom

We will be sailing on January 5th. I have a work commitment that may mean 1-3 short phone calls.

I have set it up that my work will send me an email when they need me to call, to cut back on unnecessary calls, but when they email that they need me to call in, what is the best way? We will be on the ship and in St. Martin, St. Thomas, San Juan and a private area in the Bahamas.

Should I try to somehow upgrade my US Cellular phone to be able to make and recieve out of the US calls? Or should I use the ship phone? Or should I try to get some type of international prepaid type phone?

Also, a related question: I will be in Europe for 2-3 weeks this summer and the same problem will come up for that trip.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Check with your cell provider.

How do you plan on getting the email?

Through the email on board ship. I usually get a small internet plan for use of the internet on ship so I can check my emails for work.

I thought most cell carriers only cover the mainland. I'll call tomorrow about when we are in San Juan and St. Thomas.

What about when at sea or at the other ports? Also, any suggestions about when we are in Europe?

I'm really the wrong person to ask. At sea, your only option will be ship's service. My opinion is, I'm on vacation, it will wait until I return. I get onboard, turn off my phone, and place it in the safe. I don't buy the internet package. I turn my phone on when I get back.

Archived