Cozumel - Wildlife

novicetraveller

Hi all,

I've been to Cozumel once, and I took the Ship's excursion. Whilst the Excurision had its benefits, I didn't achieve what I wanted at my own pace. I planning on going back next year, and am looking for places where I can see some Wildlife (The more native the wildlife, the better, but I am looking to avoid the Sea based Wildlife). I have found the Butterfly Sanctuary, but am also looking for a lot more. Any personal recommendations would be much appreciated. I do plan, if time permits, to go to a Mayan Ruins (if time permits), but Wildlife Photography is a passion of mine.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately there really isn't much "wildlife" on Cozumel. If you head for the south lighthouse there is a eco-sanctuary where there are alligators or crocodiles and you can walk out to a viewing tower. Lots of birds around the lighthouse area and then driving up, or taxi-ing up the east "wild" side, you may spot other sea birds amongst the rocky shoreline. There are a couple of off-road vehicle tours that do go into the island a bit and used to go up the north end toward the other lighthouse, but you'll have to check around for those tours.

IMO the Mayan ruins at San gervasio aren't that spectacular, but depending on where your cruise is heading, these may be the only ones you'll be able to see. And for that it's worth the trip.

I suggest you look at booking a guide/driver for the day to give you flexibility. There are threads here tha thave the information on hiring a driver for the day. Just make your request known in advance so hopefully they'll assign a driver familiar with areas where wildlife may roam.

Hi all,

I've been to Cozumel once, and I took the Ship's excursion. Whilst the Excurision had its benefits, I didn't achieve what I wanted at my own pace. I planning on going back next year, and am looking for places where I can see some Wildlife (The more native the wildlife, the better, but I am looking to avoid the Sea based Wildlife). I have found the Butterfly Sanctuary, but am also looking for a lot more. Any personal recommendations would be much appreciated. I do plan, if time permits, to go to a Mayan Ruins (if time permits), but Wildlife Photography is a passion of mine.

Thanks in advance.

I agree with the previous poster about hiring a driver for the day and hitting the east coast, especially the light house area at Punta Sur.

Even though the ruins do not compare to those on the mainland, I think the walk around the jungle area around the ruins could be an interesting, relatively inexpensive, experience where you could find iguanas, birds and butterflies.

Here are a couple of companies that do photo tours.

http://www.cozumelphototour.com/photo-tours-cozumel.php

http://cozumelphototour.blogspot.com/

I have done the walking tour with Tatjana and i know that she will also do private customised tours. I don't know if you are interested in a tour, or just want to DIY, but the first site may give you some indication of what is available and areas of interest which you may be able to tailor to your own needs. Not sure what time of year you are visiting but the turtle salvation program may also be of interest to you: http://www.cozumelinsider.com/TURTLES

On another note, I am not sure if the butterfly sanctuary is still open, perhaps you could report back if you have had recent contact with the owners?

Archived