Carry ons only?

lola4795

How possible is it to pack for a cruise using only carry on luggage? I did Europe for a week with only a carry on, but only packed touring clothes (nothing dressy).

It seems like when you have to take dressy clothing for a cruise, it totally changes the packing scheme. You need to take shoes that you wouldn't normally pack, and men's dress clothing takes up more space.

I'm not the type who can dress up and wear the same sandals I just wore to the beach or to hike through the rain forest. Some can pull it off, but I sure can't! :)

Has anyone ever done this? How did you pull it off?

We just did a 7day cruise with only 22" suitcases. DH had carried nothing else and I had a small purse. A tote bag and computer bag were packed in the 22" cases. We didn't fly but used Los Angeles public transportation to get to Long Beach.

On Carnival DH's dress for CE night is a nicer short-sleeve shirt and Dockers. My CE night clothes can be packed into a tube-sized packing cube. Pants and a fancy top. They are reworn for the second CE night. I wear black Mary Janes that I wear onboard every night. On occassion we just eat in the buffet.

One cruise I wore the same black skirt to the MDR every night, just changed the top. Many times I will wear a top at night then the next day.

We really limit our shoes. DH brings two pair- black Keen walking shoes and flip flops. I bring Mary Janes & sandals. If we went to the beach we would bring water shoes.

My 'what-if' med kit and electronics weigh more than my clothes. I'm pretty low maintenance, little to no makeup, no hair appliances.

The biggest factor seems to be rewearing clothes. We have no problem rewearing clothes if they are not dirty. We believe in Febreez and use ship's laundry on occassion.

Look on the Fashion and Beauty Board. There are many threads about packing light.

opposite of many reports here on CC very few people will ever notice what you wear and re-wearing clothes is not a crime. leave the fancy dress at home, a simple black cotton knit with some nice jewelry and black strappy sandals for her, and one pair of dress slacks with a shirt and tie and some loafers for him would be adequate for elegant. for the other evenings linen slacks and a silk shirt for both works just fine.

i've done a 3 week italian cooking school/tour with a carryon and a back-pack so packing for a cruise is no big deal.

also, get a kindle and stock up on 3oz bottles for your toiletries. take only what you need for the trip. he looks fine with a scruf of beard and she doesn't need all those cosmetics. forget the hairspray, curlers and flat irons. who cares. you'll probably never see any of the other passengers again.

liberate yourself, its a great feeling.

I plan on only carry ons on our Glory cruise next week and even flying in 2 days early. We do have the expandable carry ons which provide more room plus I will bring a large tote bag with as well and will have clothes such as t shirts, swimsuits and such in that. The men in my group will bring a backpack in lieu of the tote bag.

i always pack for a cruise using my standard 21 inch suitcase that i also use for work, no matter the cruise lenght. If i can fit 18 days worth of clothes, a week is no problem. roll your clothes, wear the same thing 2-3 times (it wont hurt), i always wear my swimsuit during the day, so really you dont have to pack alot

liberate yourself, its a great feeling.

I love that sentiment, Miss Meggie!

I can't remember the last time I traveled with more than my 22" carry-on and that includes a 10-day Panama Canal cruise.

The trick for me is: 1) re-wearing clothes, even gym gear, multiple times,

2) taking a jersey knit dress for formal night and 3) buying sunscreen, shampoo, etc. in larger bottles at the debarkation port before boarding.

You may be surprised at how much you can fit into a 22inch suitcase!! We do it all the time!

I take heels for dressing up with short dressy dresses that are made of stretchy material that pack easily!

I also take sandals and closed toe walking/workout shoes. My husband wears one pair of sneakers and takes his "dress" (black leather sneakers)shoes too. You pack other things inside the shoes and then you color coordinate your wardrobe so that everything goes with the shoes you have packed.

In addition to each of us having a suitcase we each have either a small backpack or large tote bag. I put my clothes into the suitcase and then jewelry/cosmetics /etc. go in the other bag.

It CAN be done and you can still be fashionable!

Archived