Advice needed on ruins.

Arizona Cruz Chic

We are not on this cruise but very good friends are, Freedom Jan 20.

They want to see the ruins in Cozumel, we have not been there in years and have never been to the ruins.

Which ones do you recommend? San Gervasio, Tulum, Mayan Traditions tour and Coba Ruins?

They are totally confused and I can't help them....please help! ;)

Coba and Tulum are on the mainland - to get there from Coz requires a 40+ minute ferry ride to Playa del Carmen and then a bus ride to the ruins -- because of the opportunities for accidents to delay their return and possibly miss the ship :eek: I would suggest they do this through a cruiseline sponsored tour.

Check any Mexico travel guide book in your local library for more information. Good luck! :)

Coba and Tulum are on the mainland - to get there from Coz requires a 40+ minute ferry ride to Playa del Carmen and then a bus ride to the ruins -- because of the opportunities for accidents to delay their return and possibly miss the ship :eek: I would suggest they do this through a cruiseline sponsored tour.

Check any Mexico travel guide book in your local library for more information. Good luck! :)

TYVM... JohninDC.....I will copy and paste this in an email to them....great advice!!!

We are not on this cruise but very good friends are, Freedom Jan 20.

They want to see the ruins in Cozumel, we have not been there in years and have never been to the ruins.

Which ones do you recommend? San Gervasio, Tulum, Mayan Traditions tour and Coba Ruins?

They are totally confused and I can't help them....please help! ;)

I've been to all three and think that Coba is by far the most impressive set of ruins. but it is definitely a trip that needs to be booked through the cruiseline.

That said - San Gervasio is easy to get to either by a rental car or a taxi, small enough to get around in an hour or a bit more without needing a guide and if they haven't seen Mayan ruins before, I think they'd be quite happy with them......

I'll second morrieb1.

The ruins at San Gervasio are not as spectacular as Tulum or Coba, but they are interesting and can be easily toured without the complications of travel or time. We spent a little over an hour there, and learned a lot about the history of the island and its significance in Mayan culture. Cool nature and wildlife there as well (look for the iguanas).

The ruins on the mainland are much more impressive, but require some travel time by land and sea from Cozumel. Because of all the variables involved (delays or cancellations due to rough seas for the ferry, vehicle breakdowns, etc.), your friends will definitely want to book with the cruise line to avoid returning late and missing the ship.

Archived