Tilbury Dock to Barons Court

SFO Peter

We are disembarking Prinsendam June 17, 2013 at Tilbury Dock. I have looked at a lot of posts of how to get to London... There are two of us and we are thinking of taking a cab from Tilbury Dock to Upminster Tube Station and get on the District line to Barons Court where we will stay for a week. This way we minimize some of the luggage carrying around... This is probably not the cheapest method but would probably avoid crowded trains. Is this a good choice? Any help appreciated.

Please note not a joiner for meet and greets, cabin crawls etc. Will gladly exchange ideas on this forum if I have any.

Hi,

Upminster Tube is about 16 miles by road from Tilbury Port including a stretch along the M25 which is renowned for congestion and delays which could mean standing traffic for a long time which will bump up the fare.

A train from Tilbury Town will take you to Fenchurch Street station would also connect to the District Line but IIRC the tube station is a couple of hundred yards from the train station at Fenchurch Street.

Do you know if HAL are offering a transfer to Heathrow Airport? If yes it may be easier to get this and then get on the Piccadilly Underground Line back into London.

If you have a lot of luggage then remember that the tube and commuter trains do not have any luggage space.

If you have not already found it try the Transport for London website, www.tfl.gov.uk, as it has lots of useful information. If you are expecting to travel a lot by tube or bus in your week there consider getting an Oyster pre-paid card as it gives you the cheapest ticket available for transport. See the website and I believe you can order them online

We are disembarking Prinsendam June 17, 2013 at Tilbury Dock. I have looked at a lot of posts of how to get to London... There are two of us and we are thinking of taking a cab from Tilbury Dock to Upminster Tube Station and get on the District line to Barons Court where we will stay for a week. This way we minimize some of the luggage carrying around... This is probably not the cheapest method but would probably avoid crowded trains. Is this a good choice? Any help appreciated.

Please note not a joiner for meet and greets, cabin crawls etc. Will gladly exchange ideas on this forum if I have any.

It's a shame you don't like to participate in roll calls - we had private transfers to London/Heathrow arranged for this cruise - much easier than diy (especially with luggage) and much cheaper and much more relaxing than doing with HAL.

There are a number of great private tours on our roll call - however if that is not your thing - no worries - but by all means drop in - there might be some ideas that might be helpful to you - and if you have some good ones and don't mind to share - that would be wonderful too;):D

Have a great cruiise:D

A train from Tilbury Town will take you to Fenchurch Street station would also connect to the District Line but IIRC the tube station is a couple of hundred yards from the train station at Fenchurch Street.
If doing this, probably easier to change at Barking or West Ham for the District Line, as the change will be within the same station although there will probably be some up-ing and down-ing to get between platforms.

There's a shuttle bus between Tilbury Riverside (= cruise ship dock) and Tilbury Town, which is I think (IIRC) included in the rail fare from Tilbury Town.

However, Tilbury is outside the TfL zones, so a cash fare would have to be purchased. Upminster, OTOH, is in Zone 6 so if the OP is thinking of using Oyster pay-as-you-go for the duration of their London stay, then the Oyster use can start there.

If boarding the Tube at Upminster, there should be no problem in finding enough space for all the luggage, and I can see the attraction of getting on the train once and then getting off once at West Ken.

Archived