Tere Moana live

Emdee

@Alberta couple:

It was, as Emdee said, a three star cruise- especially after the subtle luxury and service (and locale) of the Paul Gauguin cruise to Tahiti. My main complaint, other than what I've already mentioned (and taking into account the 'first cruise' status we all knowingly signed on for) was the absence of some kind of 'deal'. There were no discounts as they are doing for 2013 for us inaugural cruisers, other than the 5% discount for repeat cruisers on the PG line. THAT is a shame, and seems not mindful, in my eye. I think there should be some sort of communication between PG cruises and the people who were on that cruise. But no.. there has been none. That lack of communication causes me pause.

Hope that helps. I'm sure things will improve- only time will tell, though. If you are making a decision between the PG and the Moana right now, however, I would definitely choose the PG.

TM needs to work on the shore excursions. as we were the first, they have not had time to work with vendors on each of the islands. we did not take any of the excursions and none appealed to us. Talking to those who went on excursions the second week, some liked and some were disappointed.

I'm sure they will work it out before you sail. The feedback from the snorkel excursions were all good. feedback from the hiking was not so good. not much to see and Uriah and I went out on our own and were able to see more wildlife and nature that those on the hiking tours.

they did and will have a great local on board for the canal transient.

Tim, CC and shore excursions desk is working on new excursions for Feb. Just be sure to ask, they are not so good on communications yet.

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for the info.

Did you hike on your own in Corcovado? How did you get around?

When we were on the PG last year, we booked tours independent of the ship based on recommendations from this site. Is it possible to do that on this cruise? Is it clear where and when the ship will dock?

Mike, sorry we all bombarding you! I have some different questions for you. Are you glad you did back to back trips? Do you wish you had done one trip then stayed on an island? Was it a little too much all the time on the ship! Was it hard to balance getting in and out of the zodiacs?

We have back to back 7 day trips coming up for Europe. There are no sea days but right now I am thinking that is good so we can get off the rocky ship each day. I'm contemplating canceling he second one.

Thanks for any help.

they did not and we did not ask for any compensation. As fare as I know no other passengers have revived compensation.

difficulties, as others have posted were service and some food quality. It is my understanding that on the Feb cruise they are bringing on more help.

The staff did a great job with what they had, they are dedicated and very hard working group of people. 99% of us, the passengers encountered some type of problems and just worked with them. While I cant speak for all, I know most of us had a great time, if its not available, we made up our own and had FUN !!

Like you noted, difficulties arise and you just work with them, all of us were there to be on vacation and have fun and we did. was it 4 or 5 stars, no, but it was one of the best vacations I have had....

Mike

Thanks Mike! Good to know you could make the best of even a not perfect situation. One of my worst cruises turned out to also be the most fun when we met good friends who remain friends today! :D

Mike, sorry we all bombarding you! I have some different questions for you. Are you glad you did back to back trips? Do you wish you had done one trip then stayed on an island? Was it a little too much all the time on the ship! Was it hard to balance getting in and out of the zodiacs?

We have back to back 7 day trips coming up for Europe. There are no sea days but right now I am thinking that is good so we can get off the rocky ship each day. I'm contemplating canceling he second one.

Thanks for any help.

I am very glad we did the back to backs. It was not too much time on the ship. getting in and out of the zodiacs was quite easy. lots of staff help if needed, but no one had problems. We enjoyed our time on the ship and would do it again in a heart beat.

Mike

I actually like the zodiacs- it's an indicator that you are off the beaten path; :D We have one in Maine ourselves, and we had them in the Galapagos on GE 2 and I won't take an Antarctica cruise without them! I think the deal with TM, is some felt this was not disclosed before hand. I know there are folks who cannot manage zodiacs very easily, and not being able to get off the ship would drastically affect their vacation experience!

Welcome home!

@Alberta couple:

It was, as Emdee said, a three star cruise- especially after the subtle luxury and service (and locale) of the Paul Gauguin cruise to Tahiti. My main complaint, other than what I've already mentioned (and taking into account the 'first cruise' status we all knowingly signed on for) was the absence of some kind of 'deal'. There were no discounts as they are doing for 2013 for us inaugural cruisers, other than the 5% discount for repeat cruisers on the PG line. THAT is a shame, and seems not mindful, in my eye. I think there should be some sort of communication between PG cruises and the people who were on that cruise. But no.. there has been none. That lack of communication causes me pause.

Hope that helps. I'm sure things will improve- only time will tell, though. If you are making a decision between the PG and the Moana right now, however, I would definitely choose the PG.

Where in Maine?

I would think the concern for them would be customers choosing between TM and another cruise line in the Caribbean...where they lose in this market as they have in our case. We will likely still cruise PG in FP; they own that market:D

Crispy- Eggemoggin Reach;) Most people still look puzzled when I mention the town- even many from Maine, but sailors usually know the water way!

Hello:

Is there any news re the stabilizers on TM? Have they been fixed, are they working? We have booked a TA on her & are concerned about crossing the Atlantic without stabilizers.

DQ

Not sure where we all got the idea that the stabilzers were not working, I was on the bridge with Capt. Z and all stabilizers were used last week. When you have 4 to 5 m. seas a ship that is only 330 feet long and 3.5 tons is going to rock and roll at times.

I also was drinking the coolaid when I was told the stabilizers were not working, but not so as per the Capt.

Just remember that crossing the Atlantic in a small ship will have it's times.

Mike

TM needs to work on the shore excursions. as we were the first, they have not had time to work with vendors on each of the islands. we did not take any of the excursions and none appealed to us. Talking to those who went on excursions the second week, some liked and some were disappointed.

I'm sure they will work it out before you sail. The feedback from the snorkel excursions were all good. feedback from the hiking was not so good. not much to see and Uriah and I went out on our own and were able to see more wildlife and nature that those on the hiking tours.

they did and will have a great local on board for the canal transient.

Tim, CC and shore excursions desk is working on new excursions for Feb. Just be sure to ask, they are not so good on communications yet.

Mike

Thanks for the response. The excursions don't look too great so I have been trying to book others directly. I have a couple more questions, if you don't mind. When I tried to book a snorkeling trip on Antigua, it appears everything leaves from St. John which is too far away to connect in time. What is English Harbor like? Any suggestions for there? Are there other major islands were we go, that we stop at a different harbor than most ships?

How long does it take to get to the docks via zodiacs. For instance, in Aruba the excursion picks up from the dock at 9 am. Is that doable? I'll check with PG also, but I'd like your opinion since you we're there!

Thanks

Thanks for the response. The excursions don't look too great so I have been trying to book others directly. I have a couple more questions, if you don't mind. When I tried to book a snorkeling trip on Antigua, it appears everything leaves from St. John which is too far away to connect in time. What is English Harbor like? Any suggestions for there? Are there other major islands were we go, that we stop at a different harbor than most ships?

How long does it take to get to the docks via zodiacs. For instance, in Aruba the excursion picks up from the dock at 9 am. Is that doable? I'll check with PG also, but I'd like your opinion since you we're there!

Thanks

due to bad weather we did not go to English Harbor, so no idea what it's like. When you get on board you should be albe to have the ship look into other excursions. Most of the islands we went to were small and did not have much in the way of snorkeling.

Most of the time, zodiacs can take 10 to 15 minutes. They were running every 30 min, subject to change. you should be able to get to the docks before 9 am but check the times and we notice a lot of changes in when we should have docked and when we got there.

While the weather should be great, the seas can be a little rockey and slow down the ship.

happy sailing

Mike

@Alberta couple:

Give it some time, it is my understanding that all of us on both sailings will get letters this week.

Mike

I said the stabilizers were not working. I had heard that out of Lisbon only two were and on our last night overheard senior staff saying they were having a problem with the two that worked. Maybe they were able to fix while in Guadeloupe?

We live In Scarborough and have a place in Rangeley. Really cold here today!!!!

My husbands cousin is in Saco, my family is from the Blue Hill peninsula, so that's why we spend summers there Lake life is so different from ocean life in Maine, interesting that you live by the ocean and retreat to the lake! We are lucky our little peninsula doesn't get too overrun, there are days you can't get into Ellsworth, or through Camden!

Tiki lives on the Central Coast of California ........... I'm wearing shorts today and thinking of firing up the BBQ this afternoon.

Sure, rub it in...heading to the White Mountains for some dog sledding and XC skiing tomorrow, have literally packed something to cover every inch! Much as I like my snow, I could see my self in St Martin, or Moorea right now :p

We have booked the November transatlantic cruise to celebrate our 15 year anniversary. I was a little nervous reading initial posts but am getting more excited all the time. Thanks so much for posting live and enjoy the rest of your journey! :)

I just put the same cruise on hold until Monday, and reading this thread made me very concerned. We have cruised many times, like Regent, Crystal, Seaborne, and the Celebrity xpedition. We also enjoyed the Royal Clipper, and did not like Silversea at all. Help should we book this. Thanks

I just put the same cruise on hold until Monday, and reading this thread made me very concerned. We have cruised many times, like Regent, Crystal, Seaborne, and the Celebrity xpedition. We also enjoyed the Royal Clipper, and did not like Silversea at all. Help should we book this. Thanks

While we have not been on Silversea, we had a blast and a lot of fun sailing on her for the past 21 days. the TM is a great ship. I am going to book again and loved the size of the ship. With only 90 guest it's like owning your own ship

When reading all the post, remember this was the first week of sailing, all I can say is that they were working out some of the issues and we found they corrected them as we went. It was some of the best vacation days I have had and I have cruised over 100 times. If you don't like being pushed in and out of large tenders and like to take your time in ports and on board and get to know your fellow guest, the TM is for you.

feel free to check out all my pictures on Facebook mikeyarman@yahoo.com We did not want go get off, but back to work to pay for the next cruise.

While we have not been on Silversea, we had a blast and a lot of fun sailing on her for the past 21 days. the TM is a great ship. I am going to book again and loved the size of the ship. With only 90 guest it's like owning your own ship

When reading all the post, remember this was the first week of sailing, all I can say is that they were working out some of the issues and we found they corrected them as we went. It was some of the best vacation days I have had and I have cruised over 100 times. If you don't like being pushed in and out of large tenders and like to take your time in ports and on board and get to know your fellow guest, the TM is for you.

feel free to check out all my pictures on Facebook mikeyarman@yahoo.com We did not want go get off, but back to work to pay for the next cruise.

Thanks for your post. We have decided not to book. Our TA also agreed. Sounds like they have a lot of issues, and I do not want to pay for something that is substandard.

Hi:

We jumped at the chance to sail on a P.G. ship at what seemed a bargain price but after reading comments on this page we are wondering if our expectations for a 5 star experience will be met. We are booked on the Nov TA & are quite happy with lots of sea days so that is not a problem. What could be is the use of zodiacs to get ashore at the few ports on this trip.

DQ

Archived