Oosterdam visits to Melbourne - Wine Purchases

linanles

For those who want to take wine on board for cruises stopping in Melbourne I'd like to recommend that you purchase some good aussie wines at either Dan Murphy's or First Choice discount liquor stores both of which have stores in Port Melbourne not far from where the ship docks.

If you google each of them and go to store locations you will find their addresses and a google map showing their location and that of the dock.

Visited Dan Murphy's for the first time last week and all I can say about their prices is WOW. We bought one of our favourite French tipples there for about $13 a bottle. When we buy it in France it's about 8 Euro, so $13 is an excellent price for an imported wine. Great advice.

Are there any Dan Murphy's or such near the Sydney cruise centre so the same can be done there as Melbourne?

The closest discount liquor store to the OPT is a Liquorland (owned by Coles as is First Choice) at 388 George Street, Sydney. Not too far to walk from the OPT.

Woolworths supermarkets also feature a liquor shop attached to the supermarket. (woolies owns Dan Murphy's)

If you google woolworths supermarket Sydney CBD you will find the closest one to circular quay where the international terminal is.

(Same goes for Melbourne or basically any Aussie major city)

:) steve

Sydney Transport runs a free shuttle - bus 555 - which runs from 9.30 am every day and does a loop around the main CBD regularly throughout the day and starts at Circular Quay, not far from the OPT. The route goes past both the Coles and Woolworths stores mentioned above as it runs straight up George Street.

Sydney Transport runs a free shuttle - bus 555 - which runs from 9.30 am every day and does a loop around the main CBD regularly throughout the day and starts at Circular Quay, not far from the OPT. The route goes past both the Coles and Woolworths stores mentioned above as it runs straight up George Street.

How long does it take to do the whole loop?

How long does it take to do the whole loop?

I'm not sure - under an hour. It's not the HO-HO sightseeing bus but it can get you up to the main shopping zones very easily or to transport links to other areas.

Here's a link to the website with the route map etc.

http://www.sydneybuses.info/free-shuttles/free-shuttle-information

I work in the city and if I'm running out of time at lunchtime and its there I'll jump on it!

Archived