First cruise-should we go ashore every day?

twojays

Our first cruise is coming up on 4th July.

What I would like to know is, should we go ashore every day, or will that be too much?

Will we enjoy a day or two staying on board?

I feel that the reason we have booked this holiday, is to enjoy the ship, so if we go ashore every day, what will we be missing?

Is this a silly question?:confused:

It's not a silly question. An argument could be made that you've paid for a cruise and the amenities of the ship, so you should stay on the ship and take advantage of it. Many people love the uncrowded ambiance of the ship when the majority of the passengers have all disembarked for excursions.

On the other hand, it completely depends on the ports of call. If you've been to all the ports before and you know that there's really nothing for you to do, then by all means stay on the ship. However, most ports of call have a fairly diverse offering of attractions.

So, it's up to you. Either way works.

I just reread your post. Since it's your first cruise, I would think that your best strategy is to review the excursions booklet that you will receive from the cruise line. See if any of the excursions sound interesting. That way, you can decide which ports should be explored vs. when you would prefer to stay on the ship and just relax.

Thanks for your replies - I think we may choose to stay on board for at least 2 of the days (out of 7).

This should give us a chance to make the most out of the ship, and enjoy some days ashore - without being worn out by the time we get back.

Your answers are very helpful - and thanks for not making me feel silly!

Hi, twojays. I'll add my thoughts... You are correct in wanting to enjoy the ship and take a couple of "days off" by remaining onboard. I don't know where you are sailing, but you can get "shore-side-burnout"! My DW and I did just that a few years ago on a very port intensive cruise in the Mediterranean for 2 weeks. Take it easy, enjoy the holiday and don't pressure yourself to do and see everything. ENJOY!

Sometimes when the ships are in ports there isnt much going on on the ship. Maybe lay around the pool which is almost empty. Maybe make a spa reservation- cheaper. The stores and coasinos will be closed.

I like to see the island...even if its only for an hour. Getting off the ship for a little bit each time saves my sea legs after we get home. THe swaying is not so bad if i touch land for an hour or so each time.

Not knowing your itinerary, I hope this is not a silly response, but you probably have "sea days". Most 7 day cruises already have 2 or 3 days at sea and perhaps 3 ports of call. If you have not been to the port before, I suggest getting off and go on some sort of excursion. If you don't plan an excursion, maybe get off and see the town a bit. Most cruise ports are very busy on cruise days, we have often foregone the port in favor of a nice relaxing day alone on the ship. We're not vacation shoppers and definitely not crowd people, so it really depends on what you like personally.

I agree with Happy KS. Most 7 days cruises have 2 to 3 sea days. They also of 3-4 ports. Private islands are just beach days so if you are not a beach person dtaying on board would not make you miss anything (except BBQ lunch on beach). The Dining Rooms will still be opened on the ship and the buffet. The pool will be empty and the spa will have reduced prices. Enjoy your cruise, you can book another on borad if you like and get a cabin credit.

Our cruise does not have a single At Sea Day - we are in a different port every day - which was really why I needed to ask the question - but I take the point about my sea legs - I think I will probably need to get ashore at some point each day even if only for a couple of hours - Never having cruised before, I am a bit worried about the rocking and rolling sensations.

I dont quite understand the last bit?About booking something on board, and getting cabin credit??? Am I missing something?

Onboard the ship, cruise lines always promote the booking of future cruises to their current passengers. What better target audience than a group of cruisers, right? One incentive that they usually offer to those booking a future cruise is an onboard credit on that next cruise. In other words, if you book a new cruise while onboard your current cruise, the cruise line will issue you a credit to your next shipboard sailing, usable to offset expenses on that next cruise. The credit varies from $100 to maybe $200 per person.

Thanks very much for the explanation. That makes sense now.

Do many of you book another cruise while on board, or do you shop around to get the best deal?

Many people on these boards refer to PCD (post cruise depression). The best way to avoid it is to have a cruise already booked when you get off. I have only booked onboard with NCL. I have received an OBC and there is no fee to cancel (all deposit is returned). That has ended up being the best deal sometimes and others I have cancelled because I found something better. It's all part of the cruising game.:)

For us, a cruise ship is just a floating hotel that takes us from one wonderful place to another while we sleep. If I didn't get to tour a port, I'd feel cheated. Different strokes for different folks!

All very interesting to read your views, they have certainly given us a lot to think about.

I suppose we will make our own minds up about whether or not to go ashore everyday once we get there.

But it has been great of you to give us some tips - many, many thanks to you all.

Cant wait!

twojays, I think it would still depend on the ports of call. I can't imagine staying onboard if you do not think you will ever be in that port again. You don't have to spend the whole day off of the ship, you can opt for a morning or afternoon tour. We are early birds and have gotten off of cruise ships early, returning by lunch time, then stayed onboard the rest of the day. Remember, it's your vacation, you have to do what's best for you!

We've stayed on the ship twice out of a dozen cruises. Once was in Victoria on our cruise to Alaska and the other was in St. Martin. We'd been to both before.

When we took our southern Caribbean cruise, we really missed the days at sea. We did get off the ship in each port. But in a couple of them, we did not stay off the ship very long. We knew not to try to do an excursion in every port.

We look for itineraries that have a couple of early and late sea days. This gives us a chance to visit every port and go gung-ho, because we are relaxed and rested and know that we can relax and reat at the end.

On your particular cruise, I would possibly concider staying on board at least one day to take advantage of the pool area, or what ever area you might enjoy. It will be less crowded and quite relaxing.

Have fun!

Remember, if you think you might regret not getting off at a certain port, you WILL regret it when you get home!

• 2 weeks later...

You may want to do an excursion in the AM and then go back to the ship for lunch and hang out the rest of the day. We have done this in a couple ports and it is great. We did this in the Caymans spent time around the deserted pool and I spent part of the afternoon at the spa while hubby took a nap. Very relaxing!:D

Archived