NCL Epic---Not very child friendly

ufgrad98

Just returned from a week on the Epic and I have to say that I was not at all impressed with them at all. We are veteran cruisers but this is the first time we have gone on a NCL cruise. Maybe we are just so spoiled by the Disney Line, but I was very unhappy with NCL. I thought that they would be very kid friendly, like on the Disney ships, since they have Dora and Spongbob. Maybe I was expecting too much.

We have three kids: ages 9, 6, and 2 1/2 years old (almost 3 years old). The dining rooms do not have any plastic cups or cups with lids for the younger kids to use. They only have heavy glasses. My 2 1/2 year old is very independent and can handle a plastic cup with a lid very well. I have never been to a restaurant where they don't have access to plastic cups. On the Disney Line, they have children sized silverware and plastic cups with lids in all dining rooms. When we inquired on our first day about plastic cups with lids, the wait staff and management looked confused. They had never heard of such a thing and said that in two years, nobody has ever requested anything like that:confused: Seems pretty obvious to me---if you cater to kids than you should have plastic cups with lids. Also, whenever they served the applesauce with the kids meals, it would come in a small plastic cup (almost like what you would put ketchup in at a restaurant). But never a spoon with it. When we requested a spoon so our kids could eat their applesauce, again we got confused looks:confused:

They advertised Dora and Spongbob but there was only one 30 min meet and greet for each character during the whole week. There were a few (very rare) sightings of them at other times (ex: Dora's dance party) but you couldn't take your picture with them and talk to them. It was very disappointing.

The kids club was jammed pack (we went during Christmas week) and I was told there were 1500 kids onboard. I asked what the capacity was in the kids club and they said that they didn't know. They take as many kids in as want to be there. It was completely insane. My older two went in for one hour and never went back. They said it was so chaotic and crazy in there and the counselors were doing anything to control the kids.

I would not recommend NCL for smaller kids. Can't wait for my disney cruise next month because the kids were really bummed with this one.

The specific week you cruise makes a BIG difference. We were on the EPIC October 2011 and this Thanksgiving. On the October cruise, there were 580 children on board. Kids club was FABULOUS. My DD8 wanted to be there every waking minute. She just loved the staff, made lots of friends, and had a great time.

Last month - Thanksgiving week - 1200+ kids! HUGE difference. Seemed like total chaos at times. There were very long lines to drop off and pick up children. The kids club area was sooo loud and kids were running and screaming and behaving very poorly. I think the staff was overwhelmed. My DD only went a few times.

That being said - the EPIC has a great kids club and generally great staff. We will be on the EPIC next Thanksgiving also. We have been on other ships on Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc - same scenario - extremely crowded kids clubs - lots of unhappy parents. Having been on the EPIC over a holiday and on a less -crowded week - I can recommend the Epic as having one of the best kids clubs overall.

None of the cruise lines I've been on with kids (Carnival, Princess, NCL) have plastic cups for kids. It's a frequent suggestion here to bring your own if your kids can't handle the big goblets yet. I'm glad my kids never got hooked on Disney cruises - we wouldn't be able to afford to go as often as we do!

Best,

Mia

None of the cruise lines I've been on with kids (Carnival' date=' Princess, NCL) have plastic cups for kids. It's a frequent suggestion here to bring your own if your kids can't handle the big goblets yet. I'm glad my kids never got hooked on Disney cruises - we wouldn't be able to afford to go as often as we do!

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Most restaurants here don't, either. My kids actually preferred NCL over DCL (the older ones, who were 9 and 11 on DCL - thought the clubs were boring). And for the price, we're sticking with NCL. I thought there was definitely enough Nick on the Jewel - my kids loved the slime time live in the theater, by the pools, and on GSC.

OP, if you cruise during a holiday, there will be TONS of kids. Please don't judge a kids club on the volume - I've never heard of one turning kids away (and can you imagine the parents complaining if they did!). When we were on the Jewel during a school break (900 kids out of 2000 passengers), the clubs were a little crazy, and the pool was PACKED. We expected it, because we chose to cruise when the kids were off from school.

There were 350 kids on Island Princess to the Panama Canal last week for the Christmas cruise. My daughter had a great time in the kids program - enough kids to play with but not overwhelming numbers. During a holiday week you may want to check out the lines or itineraries that are usually considered "less" family friendly. I think I would lose my mind on a cruise with 1200+ kids. Wow!

Have you ever done a Disney Christmas cruise? I avoid holiday cruises like the plague - however - we went on the Epic the week AFTER Thanksgiving.

I have to disagree with a couple of the things that you said. I have pictures of Spongebob and Dora - LOTS of them. They were at the SailAway Party. And didn't you go to breakfast with them? We did - we have more pictures than we really need of the nick characters.

And we talk about the plastic cup issue here all the time - BRING them. No plastic cups and straws on RCI, CCL and NCL (all owned by different companies - but all practice the same philosophy) They say its all about "going green" because they would have to throw away all of that trash.

My girls had an amazing time on Epic. More so than their Disney cruises. We all loved the entertainment and the water park.

But I do have to agree about the kids crew being slightly chaotic even during our week. We had a lot of kids onboard. And the kids crew didn't stay on schedule for the 6-9's but they did for the 10-12's - which upset my youngest.

Just returned from a week on the Epic and I have to say that I was not at all impressed with them at all. We are veteran cruisers but this is the first time we have gone on a NCL cruise. Maybe we are just so spoiled by the Disney Line, but I was very unhappy with NCL. I thought that they would be very kid friendly, like on the Disney ships, since they have Dora and Spongbob. Maybe I was expecting too much.

We have three kids: ages 9, 6, and 2 1/2 years old (almost 3 years old). The dining rooms do not have any plastic cups or cups with lids for the younger kids to use. They only have heavy glasses. My 2 1/2 year old is very independent and can handle a plastic cup with a lid very well. I have never been to a restaurant where they don't have access to plastic cups. On the Disney Line, they have children sized silverware and plastic cups with lids in all dining rooms. When we inquired on our first day about plastic cups with lids, the wait staff and management looked confused. They had never heard of such a thing and said that in two years, nobody has ever requested anything like that:confused: Seems pretty obvious to me---if you cater to kids than you should have plastic cups with lids. Also, whenever they served the applesauce with the kids meals, it would come in a small plastic cup (almost like what you would put ketchup in at a restaurant). But never a spoon with it. When we requested a spoon so our kids could eat their applesauce, again we got confused looks:confused:

They advertised Dora and Spongbob but there was only one 30 min meet and greet for each character during the whole week. There were a few (very rare) sightings of them at other times (ex: Dora's dance party) but you couldn't take your picture with them and talk to them. It was very disappointing.

The kids club was jammed pack (we went during Christmas week) and I was told there were 1500 kids onboard. I asked what the capacity was in the kids club and they said that they didn't know. They take as many kids in as want to be there. It was completely insane. My older two went in for one hour and never went back. They said it was so chaotic and crazy in there and the counselors were doing anything to control the kids.

I would not recommend NCL for smaller kids. Can't wait for my disney cruise next month because the kids were really bummed with this one.

I assume you have not spent much time abroad (non-cruising) as it is not typical outside the US to provide plastic cups with lids in a restaurant.

For example, in the majority of McDonald's in South Korea when you "eat in" you get a tall plastic cup (non-disposable) without a lid or straw. When you leave, you the trash/recycle area you pour out the remainder of your drink/ice and place the cup in the cup area so staff can take it to be washed and reused for the next round of customers. McDonald's at least has fountain drinks. Traditional Korean restaurants may not offer any soda. But at least you can go to any shopping area food court, take a metal cup out of the sterilization area, fill with free water, drink, and place the cup in the used cup area to be washed and reused.

I do not find it unusual that when asking a TCN (Third Country National) for a "kids cup" or plastic cup w/lid that they have no clue what you are talking about.

My former troop (co-worker) is a seasoned cruiser and she rated NCL worst for room size, but pretty well for adult activities. I believe NCL is the line she said she liked the dining style where you didn't need a reservation. It has been a few years, but she and her husband always booked last minute cruises with whatever cruiseline had the best deals.

I have heard once you go Disney, nothing will meet your standards later. I have never booked Disney so I wouldn't know.

They say its all about "going green" because they would have to throw away all of that trash.

Exactly! It reduces the budget and waste. I actually prefer companies that are looking for ways to reduce waste.

The original post said:

"The kids club was jammed pack (we went during Christmas week) and I was told there were 1500 kids onboard."

1500 multiplied by the number of days, then by the number of drinks they get a new plastic cup for per day... And how many times a year does this ship sail? That is a lot of waste.

Really? We almost always get plastic cups with lids when we go out to eat at restaurants. Not on cruises (except DCL) which I always found strange. No, I don't trust my 2 yo with a glass cup!

I am fortunate to live in an area with a lot of non-chain restaurants (and tons of chains, but we avoid them). Only a handful have kid cups with lids. When my kids were little, I'd always just bring a sippy cup. Not going to lie - we've had a few big spills!

Well at the very least, they can bring some of the plastic cups from upstairs in the buffet to the dining rooms for smaller kids to use instead of the glass goblets. That shouldn't be too hard for them. As far as going "green" and not using plastic lids for their cups, the coffee bars use plastic lids for their coffee cups, so I'm not sure why it would be so different to have plastic lids on cups for kids :confused: I've been to many restaurants where they use the same plastic cups for adults and children, but they have a plastic (disposable) lid that fits over that cup for the kids to use. Its quite common at the restaurants we go to in our hometown.

Well at the very least, they can bring some of the plastic cups from upstairs in the buffet to the dining rooms for smaller kids to use instead of the glass goblets. That shouldn't be too hard for them. As far as going "green" and not using plastic lids for their cups, the coffee bars use plastic lids for their coffee cups, so I'm not sure why it would be so different to have plastic lids on cups for kids :confused: I've been to many restaurants where they use the same plastic cups for adults and children, but they have a plastic (disposable) lid that fits over that cup for the kids to use. Its quite common at the restaurants we go to in our hometown.

Again - 1,500 kids drinking how many cups/day? Verses how many people BUYING cups of specialty coffees per/ day.

Each cruise line provides a special cup/lid for the specialty coffees but none of the major lines provide cups for the kids.

I know there aren't many people buying specialty coffees so the numbers wouldn't compete with the 1,500 kids and all those drinks/day.

It's not that the ships aren't "family friendly" - they are probably more earth friendly and yes - budget friendly.

Again - as a veteran cruiser - it's easy to pick up a tip - bring a sippy cup.

Honestly, service on NCL isn't that great, anyway.

On Disney, the plastic cup was reusable, not throw away plastic.... but it was kid/toddler friendly-with a top a straw.

"1500 multiplied by the number of days, then by the number of drinks they get a new plastic cup for per day... And how many times a year does this ship sail? That is a lot of waste."

Of those kids, how many were under 3? I would expect older kids to be able to use a cup, not so much a toddler.

We brought dd's sippy cups, but really, that's a pain to keep up with. I stopped carrying them around since I could get her water at the drink station with a cup/lid/straw!

Again - 1,500 kids drinking how many cups/day? Verses how many people BUYING cups of specialty coffees per/ day.

Each cruise line provides a special cup/lid for the specialty coffees but none of the major lines provide cups for the kids.

I know there aren't many people buying specialty coffees so the numbers wouldn't compete with the 1,500 kids and all those drinks/day.

It's not that the ships aren't "family friendly" - they are probably more earth friendly and yes - budget friendly.

Again - as a veteran cruiser - it's easy to pick up a tip - bring a sippy cup.

Also in the MDR you are sitting at a table with your drink. The specialty coffee bar the majority take it to go. Walking around with a extremely hot cup of coffee is a liability. Think the McDonald's lawsuit. LOL. Now what if I had a hot cup of coffee and a kid ran into me and it spilled on the child? Actually, I like a nice coffee ship with some ambiance and an ocean view. They should put one on ships and have nice big reusable extra large coffee cups. :-)

Honestly, service on NCL isn't that great, anyway.

On Disney, the plastic cup was reusable, not throw away plastic.... but it was kid/toddler friendly-with a top a straw.

"1500 multiplied by the number of days, then by the number of drinks they get a new plastic cup for per day... And how many times a year does this ship sail? That is a lot of waste."

Of those kids, how many were under 3? I would expect older kids to be able to use a cup, not so much a toddler.

We brought dd's sippy cups, but really, that's a pain to keep up with. I stopped carrying them around since I could get her water at the drink station with a cup/lid/straw!

If they had kids cups, they couldn't limit it to kids under three. All kids would be able to have it. The reusable cups you mention, maybe get used for a day or two, in our sand box, then hit the trash. I wonder if they were BPA free? And honestly, many people do not reuse the cups. They go directly into the trash for most.

If they had kids cups, they couldn't limit it to kids under three. All kids would be able to have it. The reusable cups you mention, maybe get used for a day or two, in our sand box, then hit the trash. I wonder if they were BPA free? And honestly, many people do not reuse the cups. They go directly into the trash for most.

The one restaurant here that does kid cups gives them to anyone who orders off of the childrens menu, for kids under 12. I have 5 kids, so we had a bunch for a while, before I tossed them.

The cups that I am talking about are regular plastic tumbler cups that you can put a disposable lid over. The cup is just the same kind as upstairs in the buffet. It will last just as long as those upstairs will. And I certainly don't expect 1500 kids a day to use the lids. I would think that you could serve the drink without the lid and if asked, then provide a lid for a smaller child. Seems quite easy to me.

When DD was under 3, we always carried a diaper bag and in it were a couple of sippy cups with lids. Even after she was trained, we generally still had enough extra stuff that the diaper bag (now sans diapers was needed).

No matter where we went, since we wanted something a bit different than the norm, we used our own sippy cup for her and we took on the responsibility to clean and tote them about. Even after she got a bit older, I'd generally toss one in my purse.

Even if your child could not manage the water goblet, you could have used a "high ball" type glass or a coffee cup, only partly filled and then taken responsibility to help your LO with it. It could have been a great learning experience.

I concur with others, if I am cruising over a school holiday, I expect the kids clubs to be a bit crazy. My only holiday cruise experience with NCL was NCLA POA over American Thanksgiving -- they brought in extra counselors and became exeedingly creative in using areas other than the traditional kids club area. I thought they handled it quite well.

Archived