snorkel in Kona

drsmith

We're on Celebrity Century, tendering to Kailua Kona, 8am-6pm. We're renting a car in all of the other ports, but were thinking of slowing down the pace a bit in Kona. Planning to bring our own snorkel/mask and look for a quiet place to snorkel within walking distance (no more than a mile or so) of where we'll be coming in on the tenders.

Looking for something with colorful fish and some turtles. Want to walk in from the shore (not kayak in, etc).

Just something simple and quiet, without all of the hustle and bustle of a crowded excursion.

Thanks for any feedback. :)

We're on Celebrity Century, tendering to Kailua Kona, 8am-6pm. We're renting a car in all of the other ports, but were thinking of slowing down the pace a bit in Kona. Planning to bring our own snorkel/mask and look for a quiet place to snorkel within walking distance (no more than a mile or so) of where we'll be coming in on the tenders.

Looking for something with colorful fish and some turtles. Want to walk in from the shore (not kayak in, etc).

Just something simple and quiet, without all of the hustle and bustle of a crowded excursion.

Thanks for any feedback. :)

Kamakahonu Lagoon is a white sand crescent of beach beside the tender pier, overlooking a turqoise lagoon. DH went snorkelling there. Didn't see any turtles, but saw lots of colourful fish. He likes "lazy" snorkelling right off the beach, and he probably spent several hours snorkelling there. I don't snorkel, so in the meantime, I rented a beach umbrella for about $5 and relaxed on the beach. Make sure that any snorkellers wear sunscreen on their backs (or bald spots on the head) -- DH got a bit burnt that day:o

You can take a shuttle down Ali'i Dr to Kahalu'u beach park. It's not a fine sand beach, but it does have tons of easy snorkeling and usually plenty of turtles. Agree about the sunscreen and don't forget back of neck, ears, and (really, really important) back of hands and top of feet. My hubby spent 3 days of misery one time when he forgot to really get the back of his hands. Ouch doesn't begin to describe it. We now wear rashguards with high SPF because one time I didn't re-sunscreen my back and I ended up with a horrid sunburn with blisters so bad that I had to see a doctor. The tropical sun at all times of year is no joke.

beachchick

I hear the waves are much higher on the north shore of Oahu during the winter months. So, now I'm thinking...wonder if the waters around Kona are good for snorkeling in the winter months? I'll be there February 10. Anybody know?

Yes, the waves can be higher in the winter months but there will also be relatively calm days. The best bet for calm waters is Kahalu'u Beach Park as mentioned by Beachchick, as it has a rock breakwater protecting the southern end from the worst of the waves. It will be crowded on ship days, however. Most of the crowds will cluster around the 2 main areas for entering the water; if you swim out a little farther, you'll find relative calm.

The lagoon right next to the pier will also likely be crowded but you can easily wade right in to the water and it is a great location. It does not have nearly the number of fish and turtles that you'll see at Kahalu'u. There's also a tiny little beach about a mile south of the pier on Alii Drive, just south of the Kona Reef condos, that has easy water access, but it is not protected at all and the water is often very rough. If it's too rough to snorkel, it's still a pretty spot to just sit on the beach and enjoy watching the waves.

You can take a shuttle down Ali'i Dr to Kahalu'u beach park. It's not a fine sand beach, but it does have tons of easy snorkeling and usually plenty of turtles. Agree about the sunscreen and don't forget back of neck, ears, and (really, really important) back of hands and top of feet. My hubby spent 3 days of misery one time when he forgot to really get the back of his hands. Ouch doesn't begin to describe it. We now wear rashguards with high SPF because one time I didn't re-sunscreen my back and I ended up with a horrid sunburn with blisters so bad that I had to see a doctor. The tropical sun at all times of year is no joke.

beachchick

What's the name of the shuttle? Where does it pick up? How much does it cost? Is there information online about its route?

It's called the Keauhou Trolley. Here's a link to the shuttle schedule and stops:

http://www.konaweb.com/forums/shuttle.shtml

It stops at the pier - see about half way down the list. The cost is $2 per person, per ride; drivers do not carry change. One caution - watch your time and don't wait until the last minute to head back to the ship. The buses are small and often crowded on ship port days. In addition, they've been known to operate on "island time" - they may run late!

My husband and I were just there in May. We rented cars in all other ports, but decided not to in Kona. We took a 15 minute taxi down the road to www.konacowboy.com. It's a small family owned ranch. They take very small tours (my husband and I were the only ones that day), down the side of the side of the mountain on horseback...the most incredible ocean views the entire trip. They take you down to a protected bay to snorkel, and provide all equipment and lunch for you. Erik is the trail guide, and he is fantastic. The bay you snorkel in is protected so ships cannot anchor, thus keeping crowds out. We saw some fantastic reef and fish while snorkeling, though I cannot say we saw any turtles. I thought this trip was very reasonably priced, and was the highlight of my week. There was no rush when snorkeling. We probably had close to 2 hours in the water. We took the cab back to the port and spent a couple of hours drinking afternoon away on the balcony of this little Mexican restaurant right across from where your tender drops you off. The fajitas were fantastic, and the mojitos even better!

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone tried Old Kona Airport Beach Park? I saw that on the map and it looks pretty nice.

This is a good place to do a shallow shore dive or snorkel. In November 2010 while on Maui we went to Old Airport Beach and I did a single tank shore dive one morning. The water is not very deep even way out and if you stay around the patches of coral and are patient there are lots of critters to see.

Here is a picture of the beach from out in the water then several of the local residents I met that morning, along with one little ol beach bum (the small crab in the last pic) also a link to the shore dive . com page on this dive sight. http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/Maui/Kahekili/pic1.htm

2010Maui049_zps6666faff.jpg

2010Maui094_zpsa42f2165.jpg

2010Maui117_zps95d507c2.jpg

2010Maui119_zpsf4f338d5.jpg

2010Maui045_zpse4ab57f6.jpg

My husband and I were just there in May. We rented cars in all other ports, but decided not to in Kona. We took a 15 minute taxi down the road to www.konacowboy.com. It's a small family owned ranch. They take very small tours (my husband and I were the only ones that day), down the side of the side of the mountain on horseback...the most incredible ocean views the entire trip. They take you down to a protected bay to snorkel, and provide all equipment and lunch for you. Erik is the trail guide, and he is fantastic. The bay you snorkel in is protected so ships cannot anchor, thus keeping crowds out. We saw some fantastic reef and fish while snorkeling, though I cannot say we saw any turtles. I thought this trip was very reasonably priced, and was the highlight of my week. There was no rush when snorkeling. We probably had close to 2 hours in the water. We took the cab back to the port and spent a couple of hours drinking afternoon away on the balcony of this little Mexican restaurant right across from where your tender drops you off. The fajitas were fantastic, and the mojitos even better!

This sounds great! We love to book a private excursion each cruise. This sounds perfect. How much was it per person?

• 2 weeks later...

Kealakekua Bay has been closed to visitors since the first of January. Fairwind is one if the few Vendors still allowed to enter the bay. The kona cowboys are also not operating.

Just a reminder/plea to all who visits the waters. Please do not stand on/ touch the coral. This destroys the coral and takes decades to recover. Mahalo

Archived