Anyone visited Valetta, Malta?

rebeccalouiseagain

Been there quite a few times including 3 days in the past 8 months. Cruise ships tie-up at piers located right on the edge of Valletta and you can walk into the center of town in about 20 min as long as you do not mind walking up a pretty steep hill and/or steps. At to interesting sites, the entire island is interesting to us and you will have to make choices. For a first time visitor we think the priority should be visiting Mdina which you can access by using cheap local buses, more expensive tours, or simply grabbing a taxi. Valletta itself, is full of interesting places so you should do a little online research and decide your priorities. For those who have already been to Valletta and want to do something a little different, we recommend going to the Hypogeum (you need to make an advance reservation online).

We have also enjoyed just renting a car in Malta and exploring the island outside of Valletta...but we do not recommend driving a rental car within the city. There are also some excellent Hop On Hop Off routes (including a line that will take you well outside of the city) for those that prefer this form of transportation. Keep in mind that Malta is a bit like Italy in that many smaller stores/boutiques will close their doors during the afternoon.

Hank

We loved Malta!! We got a taxi right as we got off the ship. We went first to the Blue Grotto for a boat ride. One of the most amazing sites I've ever seen. Please look it up,it was beautiful! Then we went to the glass factory and then onto the Mdina. The cab dropped us off back in Valetta where we had a chance to shop.eat/stroll. We walked back to the ship,both there was a local bus for 1 Euro back to the port. I think the cab was $60 for about 5 or 6 hours. I don't really remember,but it was a set rate at the cab stand.It truly was a special day and although Valetta was beautiful I am so glad that we didn't miss the Blue Grotto.

Also check out the Mosta Dome to see if it interests you. It's a beautiful church. It can easily be done on a trip that includes Mdina. It is the 3rd largest unsupported dome in the world. We hired a taxi at the port for 3 hours and went to Mdina, Mosta, the Presidential Gardens (not really all that worth it), and Rabat (to see St. Paul's Grotto -- it was closed) and then back to Valletta where we dismissed the taxi and explored the city for the rest of the day. You can hire the taxi at predefined rates per hour at a kiosk as you exit the ship. No need to negotiate a price with a driver. I believe we paid about 60 euros for 3 hours, but that was in 2009. It's not a guided tour, but our driver was very talkative and willing to tell us anything we wanted to know.

Hlitner,

Did you take a cab to Hypogeum? If so, how far is it from the port and what does a cab ride cost?

Cruisfan

No, we simply walked from the pier up to the bus station and grabbed a local bus for a little more then a Euro. From the bus stop closest to the Hypogeum it was about a 5 block walk and it is helpful to get the driver (or somebody) to point you in the right direction. The Hypogeum itself, is located in a very obscure building and we actually did not know we were there until we walked by the front door.

We did meet a couple on our Hypogeum tour who had taken a taxi from near the port..and their taxi driver had agreed to return and pick them up (you tour will end exactly an hour after the scheduled tour time). They told us they paid 25 Euros for the taxi (that should have been round trip unless they got ripped-off). With a taxi I think you would be able to go from port to Hypogeum in about 15 min. You will not find any taxis just sitting around near the Hypogeum so you would have to arrange to have your taxi return....or I guess the man at the ticket desk would call you a taxi after your tour. The local bus took a bit longer (about 30 min) and of course we had to wait for the bus (both ways).

Hank

Here's what we did when we were in Malta this past July. Michelle

Malta: I had gotten tickets for the Hypogeum months ago for an 11:00 tour. When we got there they had a sign that said tickets were booked full through August 25th. If this is something you’d like to see, book well in advance online. There is a taxi stand when you get off the ship and you can get a taxi to just one location or book a taxi for 2 – 3 hours. I believe 2 hours was around 50 (or so) Euros and 3 hours was around 60. We just wanted a taxi to the Hypogeum but were wondering if our driver would come back to get us at noon. He was more than happy to do so, which worked out great. English is spoken on Malta, which makes things very easy. The destinations service person on board said to give ourselves plenty of time due to traffic. Well, Malta traffic is one thing – stateside traffic another. There really was no traffic to speak of and we reached our destination in about 10 minutes.

We just wandered around the streets and walked back to a very large church that we passed. Our driver told us that there are 300 churches on Malta. It’s a very unique place – seeing just about everything made out of stone was very interesting. I also loved all the colorful doors leading to people’s homes or places of business – I took lots of pictures of them. We also walked to the Tarxien Temples. This doesn’t really look like much but it is the first known created structures ever built 6000 years ago. There is a nominal fee to walk through the site and they give you information to read as you go along so you have a fairly good idea what you are looking at. We then went back to the Hypogeum and waited an hour for our 11:00 tour.

The Hypogeum is an underground burial site that also dates back 6000 years. They only allow 11 people to tour each hour and it truly was fascinating.

Our taxi driver was waiting for us when we were done and he took us first to the Handicraft village – where we went in two shops – jewelry and a glass blowing factory. From there we went to Mdina City. It’s a great place to walk around and is the highest point on the island. From there our driver brought us back into Valleta, pointing some things out along the way. We ended up using him from noon – 2:00. We paid him and then went off in search of St. John’s Co-Cathedral (still not sure why it’s called “Co”). We walked around in there and then to find the Palace rooms and Armory of the Grand Master of the Knights of St. John. Admittedly, this was much more interesting for Scott than it was for me. From there we decided to head back to the ship – easier said then done. Unless we were missing something, which is completely possible, there did not seem to be an easy nor direct route back to the ship. I found it to be a long and steep walk back and said that I had a feeling we’d be hearing someone’s name called who did not make it back in time – which sure enough we did.

• 1 month later...

We did a REALLY different thing in Malta. (Hank, this might be good for your next trip.) With some friends we met onboard, we rented a car (like $25 for the day) and drove clear across the island, and caught the ferry to the island of Gozo. We went to the cathedral and its surrounding village, where they are known for their handmade (and very inexpensive) sweaters--like 10 euros each. We also went to a fascinating ancient World Heritage site before catching the return ferry.

On our way around Malta, we came across the village that was built for the filming of Popeye, and wow was that a treat!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQofwWZ5rjTFlOhtO82dNgKD41YIFriWbGPm0vVYFC25p8KaGgZ

When we got back to Valletta we still had time to see some of the city including the weirdly named 'co-cathedral'. It was a great and very memorable port day!!!

Hi- I just realized that people are posting on this link that I started. We did our cruise Jan 4-14th and had a fantastic time.

As it turns out- I wasn't able to get off the ship in Malta. Unfortunately I had a tummy bug (food poisoning?) that lasted only a few hours but I was afraid I had noro and stayed in the cabin until I was better. So now I'll just have to do another trip to Europe.

The cruise was fantastic otherwise and we did see Sicily and Italy and didn't have to cancel any more excursions due to illness.

We did a REALLY different thing in Malta. (Hank, this might be good for your next trip.) With some friends we met onboard, we rented a car (like $25 for the day) and drove clear across the island, and caught the ferry to the island of Gozo. We went to the cathedral and its surrounding village, where they are known for their handmade (and very inexpensive) sweaters--like 10 euros each. We also went to a fascinating ancient World Heritage site before catching the return ferry.

On our way around Malta, we came across the village that was built for the filming of Popeye, and wow was that a treat!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQofwWZ5rjTFlOhtO82dNgKD41YIFriWbGPm0vVYFC25p8KaGgZ

When we got back to Valletta we still had time to see some of the city including the weirdly named 'co-cathedral'. It was a great and very memorable port day!!!

Good tip. We have been to Gozo although we visited that island on a Prinsendam cruise stop. Its a delightful place and where some of the Maltese like to go to get away from their own island (some of them refer to Gozo which is known as the Green Island). And yes, we also happened upon that "Popeye" village which did look a bit magical from the top of a nearby hill.

Hank

Archived